The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's your favorite kick drum mic?
Old 12th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
What's interesting is there doesn't seem to be any consensus as to which mic sounds "best" (I realize there is no such thing as "best").

Would have been super cool if there was a poll attached to the OP to gather the votes since the preferences are all over the place.

I guess the moral of the story is "any kick mic can work in a given situation"?
It's the same story of finding the "best" mic for the job at hand, which, as always, varies widely depending on who you talk to. That goes for any instrument. At the end of the day, nobody is going to guess what mic you used, especially if you're EQing a lot.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's interesting is there doesn't seem to be any consensus as to which mic sounds "best" (I realize there is no such thing as "best").

Would have been super cool if there was a poll attached to the OP to gather the votes since the preferences are all over the place.

Yeah, with the exception of three or four contenders, I would use any of these.

The other enormous variable is the drum and the player. I'm not generally that keen on the Beta 52, but I have a friend whom I've recorded a few times whose kick simply doesn't sound right with any other mic. He plays a '70s Ludwig 24" kick, rather aggressively, with wooden beaters. I had him at my house a little bit back, and I was glad he brought his Beta 52, because the ND68 that I was so jazzed about at the time simply was not cutting the mustard.
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Too many variables for me to pick just one mic. Anyway a "best" kick mic wouldn't keep me from buying a stupid number of mics for the job, right? Then again, we had some 40 kick mics between us to check, from which a AT4060 (outside) and a AT AE2500 stood out (inside). Also a good bet for an outside mic: a 47 if the kick isn't too loud. I like the Beyer opus99 a lot, it's available more or less under a few different names/numbers.
I used to use an EV RE38 but we somehow fell out with each other. Maybe it's wide cardioid was to temperamental with dumb ole me. Sold my Sennheiser 602 when i discovered it's polar pattern down low is so close to omni i couldn't use it with anything else bassy in the room. Not too keen on an Audix D6, even if it's the right mic for aggressive styles now and then, but i (maybe i'm crazy) believe it makes kick hits longer. I went through a dozend (original and in good shape) AKG D12s, to sell most of them, sticking to my D20 which does that pillowy foof just well if i need it. Once, when nobody was looking, i tried a M201. Could barely escape the mic police, but it wasn't bad.

And thanks to Lynn for all the effort!
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Maniac

my favourite was number 7 - the joint cheapest sE Electronics one... could tell the D112 a mile off.

i did a similar shoot out myself recently and my favourite out of these ones was the cheap Samson QKick that came as part of a cheap set about 13 years ago!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw11eQvg...d=iswuk6cti8ca

not as scientific but still good fun
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear
Been using a 70s M88 only for the last year or so. Big old green foam windscreen on it.
Feel like I'm getting much punchier sounds and better depth now (previously was using an RE20).
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

I’ve tried ND/868, RE20, D112, Beta52, but my favorite is ATM25. I once tried a vintage D20 sounded awesome too
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
Once, when nobody was looking, i tried a M201. Could barely escape the mic police, but it wasn't bad.
I was once in a hurry in a live situation. Ran out of space on-stage for mic stands, so chucked an M201TG into the kick drum. Needed some EQ, but worked pretty well. I like those mics - you can put them on anything and get something usable.

Of course, when there's a couple of cranked 2x12" guitar amps pointing at you in a small venue, there's only so much subtlety you can convey...

Chris
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Regarding this kind of scenario:
mini-festival with 5 bands, metal band shows up just before their slot, drummer has two kicks and the only mics I had more than 1 left of were 58s.
They did the job.
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Regarding this kind of scenario:
mini-festival with 5 bands, metal band shows up just before their slot, drummer has two kicks and the only mics I had more than 1 left of were 58s.
They did the job.
I have found that "stick a dynamic mic in there" works for almost any kick drum sound, almost any mic doesn't matter. It's one of the easiest workarounds in drum recording or sound reinforcement that I know of.

Of course that's a little different than aiming for a specific high end production sound quality.
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
For hard rock, the Audix D6 is seriously scooped but works quite well for the genre. The D112, Shure Beta 52A, or Beta 91A all seem to work for me in various situations.
Been mixing a rock project with a D6 inside. It works.. but sometimes it's just way too much pre EQ. I'll be going for a more neutral mic, I can tweak the EQ later in mixing. More control and there's just not quite enough chesty thump in the D6 for me. Maybe speed metal klicky clacky kick for the D6.

From the shootout the D112 was a very familiar sound. Slightly boxy but very usable.

RE 20 and MD421, both of which are also on countless records and take EQ well.

Other standouts I'm not familiar with.

D12 VR
ATM 250

Would have liked to have heard the Heil and even the Mondo compared in the list.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Has anyone ever used beyer TG D71? It’s a condenser that sits inside the kick. Looks sort of like a pzm. Curious how it sounds.
Old 14th May 2019
The beyer boundary mic is a fairly new mic, and not much written about it. I own it and use it alot as inside kick mic, often with akg d12e or beta 52 or beyer m99 outside. The beyer 71 is tight. Sounds smooth and is punchy. When i want a "harder" sound with more beater and click i go for beta 91 (i like sm91 better though..but dont own it) beta 91 can0 sound a bit artificial/plastic on its own. The attack is great. Sometimes too much though.

Beyer 71 could handle a kick on its own, the same goes for the sennheiser version i guess. On the right style. They seem pretty similar. This is my experience, i dont fidlle around that much, i decide on kick mics depending on genre and how modern or old the production should sound like. Then i make sure the kick sounds allright and throw up two mics. I always use two mics. I dont do jazz, but different rock styles and harder.

Im really curious about the akg d20. How is it compared to akg d12e?

The telefunken seemed somewhat similar to akg d12e btw. Thats a good thing. I used the telefunken live the other day, very versatile mic. Could go from vintage to modern. Depending on how much and where i cut in the lo-mid.

My 2 cents and too much gearslutting on kick mics..
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I seriously recommend using the Sennheiser 606 or 609 as it's called in America (the guitar cab mic that hangs over the top of combos and doesn't require a stand)

the flat address just seems to lend itself to positioning really well... honestly i'm getting really nice kick drum sounds out of it - again, i'm adding bits of desk EQ on the way in, but it's definitely going to remain in place alongside the 421 (for sub frequencies more than anything) for the foreseeable

(also, i'm using both D112s as overheads... because why not? capture nice low end, and just needs a touch of EQ to account for the slightly hyped high end)
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Island View Post
I seriously recommend using the Sennheiser 606 or 609 as it's called in America (the guitar cab mic that hangs over the top of combos and doesn't require a stand)

the flat address just seems to lend itself to positioning really well... honestly i'm getting really nice kick drum sounds out of it - again, i'm adding bits of desk EQ on the way in, but it's definitely going to remain in place alongside the 421 (for sub frequencies more than anything) for the foreseeable

(also, i'm using both D112s as overheads... because why not? capture nice low end, and just needs a touch of EQ to account for the slightly hyped high end)
I have 4x e906s here, might give this a try.
My default single-mic positioning is mic at the port of the kick drum. Is that where you've been putting your 606?

I'm also curious about the Beyer boundry mic. Reports on other forums are really good, so I'm tempted. However, what do you do if there's no port in the kick drum? Does putting it on the floor in front of the resonant head work okay?

Chris
Old 14th May 2019
I would say it works okay. But pay attention to the bleed (as always).

I think i would go for a sdc or dynamic on the beater side, and something that does lo-end well on reso head without hole in it.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
I have 4x e906s here, might give this a try.
My default single-mic positioning is mic at the port of the kick drum. Is that where you've been putting your 606?

I'm also curious about the Beyer boundry mic. Reports on other forums are really good, so I'm tempted. However, what do you do if there's no port in the kick drum? Does putting it on the floor in front of the resonant head work okay?

Chris

where i'd place a D112... no front skin, right in the centre - neither inside or outside, inline with the edge of the shell
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac

In my case, since I like having the full reso head, I’d have to make a cable and run it through the little shell port. But I have a feeling this mic would work better with a ported reso or none at all.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Head

Re:

I'm not the biggest fan of the U47 Fet. There are so many better mics for vocals, guitars, etc in the $4000 range. So the only thing I wold use it on would be for kick...id rather spend that money elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
true, but after you track the drums, maybe you could find something else that it might be good on.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Although I have an Audix D6 and an AKG D112 which get pulled into use from time to time, my regulars are a Sennheiser e602 that fits the bill most of the time and an Audio Technica ATM25 when requiring a more natural and un-hyped kick sound. When using the e602 I usually find I get best results with it inside the shell 3-4 inches from the batter head, slightly off-center and pointed at where the beater makes impact. When using the ATM25 it often ends up poking just inside the hole of the resonant head.

In addition to the above, a Sony C38b often resides outside of the kick drum and blended in to taste.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty with EQ, I've found a neutral and fast omni SDC in the kick works best. I've used practically all of the mics listed and still prefer the STO2, for example. Granted, the initial sound is not what I want but after EQing for the song, I always am happier with that sound, even after EQing the others. More options as well over different styles and genres. I use it for everything. It's one of those brick wall decisions where I'm never second guessing if I should have used a different mic. YMMV. Also, that mic will overload a lot of preamps, so I just power it with phantom, then straight to the AD.
Will give this a try soon. I purchased an Elation KM202 for this purpose. Good to know my thought is something that works for some.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Elation/KM202
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

I've owned an RE20 for about a year and a half, but I had never gotten around to trying it on kick drum until today. Well, you can call me Neil Diamond, because I'm a believer. I shot it out against an ND68 and an MD541 today, and while all three had nice qualities, the RE20 communicated the most authority and heft in the range where most of the drum's tone is. I'll definitely be considering that mic on kick the next time I record drums.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
That #7 V-kick sounds right on the money to me.
I can't help but read your username as "BRAIN STORM!" (Sorry I'm sure this has been said a million times...)

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

It clearly said YANNY
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

at risk of being voted off the island, I stuck an e609(not a misprint, a 609) inside a 20” kick and POOF...totally useable. It’s got a rise just above 100, and another around 4K. Actually it’s response curve is almost identical to the d112, though I haven’t compared them on kick.

By the way, that’s: no head, 4” in from both end and side of drum, pointed across to the opposite corner of the kick.

YMMV.

Last edited by arsonculture; 4 weeks ago at 04:35 PM.. Reason: New info.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonculture View Post
at risk of being voted off the island, I stuck an e609(not a misprint, a 609) inside a 20” kick and POOF...totally useable. It’s got a rise just above 100, and another around 4K. Actually it’s response curve is almost identical to the d112, though I haven’t compared them on kick.

YMMV.
I‘m not surprised, I‘ve seen them work quite well on toms.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've been meaning to try my e609 in a kick. You know, in case there's a situation where I can't get a sound I like out of my loads of other dynamics.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

e906 is really good on Toms I haven't stuck it at the kick yet but I should.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I used the Senn 602 for years. i try the new 602 II and it doesn't
sound as beefy as the 602 original.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

ones i have used over the years extensively.

AKG D12
Electrovoice RE-20
AKG D3600
AKG D112
Neuman U47 fet
Neumann U87.

i find today i mostly use the D-112. they are just fine.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I had good results with my AKG D12 until it died.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search