The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My Apollo 8 (blackface) had an accident, need to choose 'tween Apollo X or Slate VRS8
Old 1st May 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

My Apollo 8 (blackface) had an accident, need to choose 'tween Apollo X or Slate VRS8

My blackface Apollo 8 took a major hit and is dead, which gives me an excuse to buy the latest and greatest. I'm looking at the Apollo X6 or the Slate VRS8. I barley use UAD plugins anymore and I have a slave UAD that I can use in case I need it for old projects, so the UAD plugin thing is not a consideration in the battle.

It would be awesome to hear from people who have used/heard/experienced both Apollo X and Slate VRS8, or one or the other. They both look appealing. I do some tracking (not full bands, the most pres I've used here at once was four, and composing and producing with one or two instruments/mics at a time as needed. Both have their versions of DSP, which I would use, mostly for different pre flavors. Slate VMS is interesting and appealing, I must say. Mixing is a big part of the stuff I write and produce, so the highest quality audio that I can get in the price range is important. Speed and ease of use is paramount, and I've enjoyed the Apollo 8 for that -- I have nothing else that's current to compare it to though.

Last edited by noah440; 2nd May 2019 at 09:57 PM..
Old 2nd May 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Anyone?
Old 2nd May 2019
  #3
Gear Addict
can’t compare it to the slate box. BUT i have been on an X8 since october, coming from a Twin MKII which has the 2nd gen conversion like your Apollo 8. IMO, it has not been a subtle difference in DA conversion.

AD is improved, and the noise specs on the unison pres has improved to the point where I have sold off all external pres and just track with my X8 (besides Audient pres for close mics on drums)
Old 2nd May 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
can’t compare it to the slate box. BUT i have been on an X8 since october, coming from a Twin MKII which has the 2nd gen conversion like your Apollo 8. IMO, it has not been a subtle difference in DA conversion.

AD is improved, and the noise specs on the unison pres has improved to the point where I have sold off all external pres and just track with my X8 (besides Audient pres for close mics on drums)
Thank you - great to know.

I also like that I can get a 6 input version, which is appealing. Slate only has an 8-input version of theirs at this point. 4 inputs are all I need, really.

I would love to hear from anyone who has used both -- sonic quality is important to me as I do mixing and mastering here for my own work.

Last edited by noah440; 2nd May 2019 at 07:35 PM..
Old 2nd May 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
My blackface Apollo 8 took a major hit and is dead, which gives me an excuse to buy the latest and greatest. I'm looking at the Apollo X or the Slate VRS8. I barley use UAD plugins anymore and I have a slave UAD that I can use in case I need it for old projects, so the UAD plugin thing is not a consideration in the battle.

It would be awesome to hear from people who have used/heard/experienced both Apollo X and Slate VRS8, or one or the other. They both look appealing. I do some tracking (not full bands, the most pres I've used here at once was four, and composing and producing with one or two instruments/mics at a time as needed. Both have their versions of DSP, which I would use, mostly for different pre flavors. Slate VMS is interesting and appealing, I must say. Mixing is a big part of the stuff I write and produce, so the highest quality audio that I can get in the price range is important. Speed and ease of use is paramount, and I've enjoyed the Apollo 8 for that -- I have nothing else that's current to compare it to though.
If I were you I'd get a Metric Halo ULN-8 with the 3D card, since you're not using UAD plugs that much. Use it with a cat5 cable..

If you need only 4 inputs you could get a LIO-8 which is an 8 channel converter with the possibility to add 4 MH preamp inputs. (Dunno if it's significant cheaper though).

Much more future proof than anything else on the market, could insert outboard after the (good sounding) preamps and has lots of pretty cool features. Sounds excellent.

Just my 0.02$,



Cheu
Old 2nd May 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
If I were you I'd get a Metric Halo ULN-8 with the 3D card, since you're not using UAD plugs that much. Use it with a cat5 cable..

If you need only 4 inputs you could get a LIO-8 which is an 8 channel converter with the possibility to add 4 MH preamp inputs. (Dunno if it's significant cheaper though).

Much more future proof than anything else on the market, could insert outboard after the (good sounding) preamps and has lots of pretty cool features. Sounds excellent.

Just my 0.02$,



Cheu
That looks amazing -- way out of my budget right now though, either option (I would need the extra preamp inputs on the LIO-8). :-( I really only need four input channels, too, so that's something I need to take into account. Hmmmm.

The Apollo X6 is the closest to that. There are pros and cons to it and the Slate, for sure.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
That looks amazing -- way out of my budget right now though, either option (I would need the extra preamp inputs on the LIO-8). :-( I really only need four input channels, too, so that's something I need to take into account. Hmmmm.

The Apollo X6 is the closest to that. There are pros and cons to it and the Slate, for sure.
The apollo x6 is about 2k new..

I believe the LIO-8 3D with 4 preamps is not significantly more.. Afterall.. Consider selling something you don't use and getting an interface that will last a loong time. (and that sounds amazing).

If really on the budget, while not being exactly the same as the ULN or LIO, the MH 2882 with 3D card has 4 preamps a lot of other connections and the same MH link (cat5) as the big brothers.. It's possibly cheaper than the apollo.



Cheu
Old 3rd May 2019
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
My blackface Apollo 8 took a major hit and is dead,
I'm curious... How did you kill the Apollo 8? I've got one myself, it would be good to know what to not do.

-John
Old 3rd May 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caf View Post
I'm curious... How did you kill the Apollo 8? I've got one myself, it would be good to know what to not do.

-John
Unfortunately a keyboard shelf collapsed and took its toll on the Apollo. So don't do that. :-)
Old 4th May 2019
  #10
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Sorry to hear about your Apollo.

This month you can get a free VMS ML-1 including eight vintage mic models when you purchase a VRS8. You also get an entire year of the Slate Everything Bundle:

https://www.slatedigital.com/vrs-bundle/

Cheers,
Steven
Old 6th May 2019
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
Unfortunately a keyboard shelf collapsed and took its toll on the Apollo. So don't do that. :-)
Ouch... I won't do that!
Old 6th May 2019
  #12
I don't like the lack of Digital I/O ports (Optical, RCA, AES) of the VRS8
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

Never any shortage of people posting that everything and anything else has "better" conversion than the Apollo. The question of course is whether they have worked with Apollos enough to really know or are they just comparing someone else's work to what they know and assuming that the quality of the end result has nothing to do with the person using the gear. To be fair, there are ways of making nominal comparisons. For instance, playing a commercially available track through the mix bus to hear the basic sound quality. But even then I'm not sure its an accurate way of comparing.

More likely than not most people couldn't pick one converter from the other in a blind test all other things being equal. But that all other things being equal standard is a near impossibility. Ultimately, people are reinforcing their decisions for emotional reasons and not really offering useful, measured advice.

Get what works for you and do what you have to do.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Nut
 

Anyone have any hands on experience with the VRS8?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Forum Jump
Forum Jump