The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How did your studio STAY OPEN?
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear
Macyn Taylor, Standing in My Shoes,

Playing a song from her mentor, Leo Kottke.

No idea technically. Produced at her School. What a talent.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

80% of customers come back. Of those who go elsewhere after recording here, 90% come back. The remaing percentage includes people dying, moving away, etc.etc.
On top of this and the most important thing: luck. And yes, you can influence it, but not with anything you learn in a materialistic western country. Totally forget about persistence, hard work, etc.etc. - that, in itself, won't guarantee anything.

It does help a bit my wife has some money and there's no debt, low overhead and all the gear i ever need has been bought already.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Michael, if you don't mind...

Feel free to expand on your "indie exploding" comment. I like hearing good news!
Thanks, Chris
Hello Chris

Even though the professional business got hammered in 2001 with free downloading and computer software , I noticed about 4 years ago a huge uptick in indie artist putting out material. Since everyone can release there dream sort of speak.. Now as the new business model/indie scene progresses, ( if you know what I mean), the DIY'ers have been looking for something to give them that competitive edge.. They been realizing they need something, weather its a experienced producer, engineer, studio, etc..

Lucky for me a lot of major mix engineer's and recording schools still have large format console, thus putting in young kids brain, a big console "might" help make there product sound more " competitive".. Ahh Competitive .. I tell my clients , you can record anywhere , and release anything.. But will it hold up right next to the latest pop hits on the radio? So this is why I tell them they "might" need a pro engineer, producer, studio ..

I NEVER discourage clients from recording in there bedroom , as a matter of fact my speciality is mixing , so I enjoy mixing stuff people do on there own.. and since I use a high resolution mastering precision monitor system to mix on I can easily re-eq/engineer most of there files and bring there sound up to professional standards..

I know several guys who are great protools engineers/producers, they have a simple computer in a small room and make over 100K + per year,....with little expensis and little gear investment..

The key is to offer clients production experience , selling time is still alive , but the selling time and producing artists, (for a fee) is a exploding market.. But you better be good.. The modern generation engineer must be a producer/protools master engineer/therapist/master editor , etc.. ..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great post-Thanks!
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Great thread. Just finished reading all of the stories/suggestions, and wanted to thank all of the contributors... well, most of you. It’s nice to hear others stories of success, and failure. I have seen a few of each myself. My small home studio is well treated, and well equipped. It started as a hobby recording my friends and I. Then I got addicted to gear. Then I went back to school. I have found most of my clients at open mics, and little coffee house gigs. But I’m still just treading water. Earn most of my living doing other stuff still. But, there are a ton of unknown artists out there, and I am working hard to find the ones who are passionate and motivated. No overhead means I can charge very reasonable rates to do what I love, produce and engineer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For those always on the hunt for new customers, how often are you going out and actively seeking to recruit new bands/artists? Where are the "hot spots" to find new customers (besides open mics) [EDIT] and what's your approach?

Last edited by Funny Cat; 4 weeks ago at 10:00 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
For those always on the hunt for new customers, how often are you going out and actively seeking to recruit new bands/artists? Where are the "hot spots" to find new customers (besides open mics) [EDIT] and what's your approach?
I go out whenever I have time. I live near a very large city, and a number of spots in the metro area are known for live music. I’ll look for local acts at dive bars, or opening up for more well known artists.

Often times those bands playing shows are promoting an album they just made, this makes it difficult to get them in your studio immediately. But, it’s really about getting to know them, and what their goals are. Exchange info, stay in touch, and maybe they’ll consider working with you in the future.

Don’t forget to ask them for their business.

Plant the seed, leave the door open, and don’t get discouraged; you can’t get them all, but if you’re sincere you’ll get some.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post

Don’t forget to ask them for their business.

Plant the seed, leave the door open, and don’t get discouraged; you can’t get them all, but if you’re sincere you’ll get some.
i used to go to gigs and if i liked the band i would approach one of them, after the gig, and have a chat.

at the end of the chat, i would give them a card, and invite them to come and look at my studio.

those simple cards and a few words opened the doors to many projects.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Where are the "hot spots" to find new customers (besides open mics) [EDIT] and what's your approach?
i found that musicians and bands are a good source of information regarding whats happening around town.

i always ask the band im recording,

anything good going down around town? whos hot?

they will come up with 2 or 3 other bands or artists, and if the same names keep coming up, from different sources, then you better get out and meet that band/artist. they might be good.

always approach them after the gig is finished.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
My studio doubles as a rehearsal space. That way it creates a community, pays most of the rent, and the bands usually want to record at the place since its also their "home".
Sometimes i put on DIY gigs with 30-40 people attending. Being involved in the music scene is key for me.

Also doing some live sound. Did a few years as backline tech for bigger artists and events/festivals, but didnt like it much tbh. Good experience and learned alot though. And it got me cash for a massive passive. Hehe
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister m View Post
My studio doubles as a rehearsal space. That way it creates a community, pays most of the rent, and the bands usually want to record at the place since its also their "home".
Sometimes i put on DIY gigs with 30-40 people attending. Being involved in the music scene is key for me.

Also doing some live sound. Did a few years as backline tech for bigger artists and events/festivals, but didnt like it much tbh. Good experience and learned alot though. And it got me cash for a massive passive. Hehe

I’d love to open my studio as a rehearsal space as well but unfortunately my studio is located on my property and I have 3 young kids. In addition to that my neighborhood is very family oriented so I’m hesitant to invite strangers around the clock (mostly late in the night) who will be drinking and smoking no doubt.

A friend of mine in a Florida has his studio in an industrial area and said when he opened it to bands as a rehearsal space in addition to just the studio his bookings immediately tripled! He’s doing so well now he added a video production wing and a full time camera crew. He told me the video aspect opened up more production opportunities as well.

@ Michealangelo @ BIG BUDDHA and @ NamelessUnknown . Thanks for the encouragement and advice. These are many of the things I’ve been doing and while going to live shows and introducing the studio does bring in some gigs, I haven’t found it to be sustainable just yet. This is only my first year as an owner so let’s see how things develop moving forward.

Last edited by Funny Cat; 3 weeks ago at 04:02 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search