The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tweeters - In or out of the sweet spot?
Old 26th October 2002
Lives for gear

Tweeters - In or out of the sweet spot?

I see a lot of studio pics where the monitors are sitting a foot or so above ear level, or angled so they focus well behind the mixers head. Some of that placement may be due to space constraints, but I'm wondering if people prefer to be a little off axis of their tweeters sweet spot (more how people would tend to listen to music), instead of having them aimed directly at your ears.

Thoughts?

Old 26th October 2002
It all depends on the speaker and how consistent it is at off axis response. I would say NS10's definitely on axis(ear level). A lot of the more modern power types actually work better a little behind the ears(a cross between a nearfield and a midfield).
Old 26th October 2002
Interesting topic!

Genelec will have some interesting literature downloadable on the subject at their website I am sure...

The ADAM 'heil tweeters' I use have a very wide spread, as do ribbon tweeters. With both types, sitting directly in the 'sweet spot' is not so important - which is great when you are at the side of a mix console with someone in the middle engineering!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search