The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Are any plug-ins comparable to real tube distortion?
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Which ones?

I have quite a bit of those that do tube emulation, but my experience with real tubes is limited. I once had a GAP COMP-2A.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post

Which ones?

I have quite a bit of those that do tube emulation, but my experience with real tubes is limited. I once had a GAP COMP-2A.
Probably 50 threads already on GS to research. Nothing new to learn. A few say yeah, most say no.
Old 23rd April 2019
Quote:

Which ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Probably 50 threads already on GS to research. Nothing new to learn. A few say yeah, most say no.
If there were only one 'ideal' guitar sound, it would be easy to evaluate plug-ins versus hardware.

For SOME folks, a digital amp sim box or plugin might nail the sound in their heads (especially if that sound is one that has been derived from a stack of effects, is associated with a big hit, and which has inexperienced guitarists clamoring for me-too sounds)... for others, though -- particularly clean tone players who don't use any/many FX and who depend on changes of guitar playing/dynamics and the dynamic impedance relationship between passive pickups and the amp's input stage for their approach, amp sims and plugs may prove far too 'static' and unresponsive for their needs.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

The answer is no.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Comparable, i.e. giving some(!) good effects that a driven tube amp stage/preamp can give? - yes. Some of them.

Complete replacement for a tube guitar amp? - depends on a full chain, desired sound... 50/50 yes/no.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Why are you guys talking about guitar amps?

Anyway, back to the op......

Try wavearts tube saturator 2 on various track sources.

I for one, rather work with real tube mic pres if I plan to drive hard. I haven't historically developed a pref for tube comps....it's on my list to try some at vintage king.

In virtual tube compland, I plan to ab some of the uad models to the new arturia comps.

But my hunch is i'll fall in love with one of those Undertones....to which I'll immediately see if a Waves pultec comes close
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear
Acustica Crimson is convincing, then there is a huge gap and perhaps HG-2.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

The answer is... to you? Yes

To those who don’t want to accept it as a possibility? Never
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
What -- is tube distortion the only kind of "real" distortion?

Why must everything be so emulation-driven?

I happen to dig the hell out of "Krab." The kind with a "C" is okay, but the taste and texture are different. Its own thing.
Old 23rd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Why are you guys talking about guitar amps?

Anyway, back to the op......

Try wavearts tube saturator 2 on various track sources.

I for one, rather work with real tube mic pres if I plan to drive hard. I haven't historically developed a pref for tube comps....it's on my list to try some at vintage king.

In virtual tube compland, I plan to ab some of the uad models to the new arturia comps.

But my hunch is i'll fall in love with one of those Undertones....to which I'll immediately see if a Waves pultec comes close
Good point. My bad.

I was the one who leapt to the presumption that anyone thinking of distortion favorably was likely a guitar player.

But, in fact, the OP specifically mentions a compressor. Like I said, my bad.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Butch Vig Vocals by Waves
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The answer is no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
The answer is... to you? Yes
just eight posts in ...and I rest
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
no

Quote:
Which ones?
there are none

Quote:
Like with guitar tube amps there are good and tube comps and bad tube comps. Just because something has tubes doesn't mean it is going to sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
What -- is tube distortion the only kind of "real" distortion?
No not at all. There are old solid state analog amplifiers and compressors that have wonderful distortion.

Quote:
Must everything be so emulation-driven?
For most peeps it comes down to price and convenience one would suspect?? If everyone had a large budget and lots of extra room for hardware no one would use any sim plugins. Time is a factor as well. Using Hardware with a DAW is limiting in many ways. You have to really know what sound you are searching for going in. Once you print it you are
done. You can also use analog summing at mix but that is expensive. You need lots of conversion, summing amps or a console. That is several thousands of dollars. Perhaps 20,000-30k minimum for 24+ channels. The average home studio guy can't afford that. So they use plugins, or at-least they hope they can.

Quote:
I happen to dig the hell out of "Krab." The kind with a "C" is okay, but the taste and texture are different. Its own thing.
^^ This makes no sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Uh oh
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Addict

Back in the days, I used an Art Pro Channel that had a vari-mu comp. To my surprise the IK Fairchild™ 670 plugin clipped in the same way as the pro channel (not in a good way btw), but I guess that mean IK recreated the vari-mu circuit quite accurate (Loved the pro channel and love the plugin when not clipping btw)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search