The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam model 24 info price just dropped
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear
Tascam model 24 info price just dropped

Any info on the model 24. They only really hit the streets 6 months back and i got a sweetwater notice they dropped the price $100.00. The music i make is simple alot of acoustic and vocals live with over dubbed stuff. Just turning knobs and pushing buttons is looking really nice to me at this point. seems like every time i just want to fire up and record i have plugin authorization issues or updates or something. Having a machine to track with quickly and then be able to dump in the daw for editing is what im looking for
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

You should buy it for all the reasons you listed.

Price and performance is the main point.

I own the dp 32 sd by Tascam and you dont have to worry about authorisations
and other issues.

I use mine with a drum machine and working out vocal melodies and timing BPM.

If the model 24 had 24 outs it would be game over.

Cheers
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
You should buy it for all the reasons you listed.

Price and performance is the main point.

I own the dp 32 sd by Tascam and you dont have to worry about authorisations
and other issues.

I use mine with a drum machine and working out vocal melodies and timing BPM.

If the model 24 had 24 outs it would be game over.

Cheers
The problem is, it lacks many of the features of a portastudio and is massive compared to others for this use case.

I've been sorely tempted by one but am more tempted by a Livetrak L-20, even spending a little more for it. I'd take the better productivity over the analog mixing mojo but seemingly gimped productivity.
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
The problem is, it lacks many of the features of a portastudio and is massive compared to others for this use case.

I've been sorely tempted by one but am more tempted by a Livetrak L-20, even spending a little more for it. I'd take the better productivity over the analog mixing mojo but seemingly gimped productivity.
Yes im wrestling with the live track as well im sure its a better product all around and can do much more and probably sounds better. But with it comes more options. More thinking more menus.

Either is a step down from a daws capability but this is a choice im making strictly for productivity and workflow. having pan,eq and comp with its own knobs on each channel if the model 24 looks good
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]The problem is, it lacks many of the features of a portastudio[/QUOTE]

And what features are they.

Cheers
Old 22nd April 2019
I've been very curious about the Model 24 as well. ...wondering how well it would pair-up with an iPad(??).
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear
I think it would be the perfect pairing. But im thinking the zoom L-20 would be even better. But im still drawn to the tascam because of the knob per function ability.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

And what features are they.

Cheers
Any way to sync other gear (no metronome or midi)
Any concept of tempo or markers relating to bars for punch in/out
Bouncing tracks

I went for a zoom L-20 in the end and am setting it up. It was a difficult choice, and the zoom isn't perfect either. But with the ability to sync modular /din sync via the metronome and the more flexible io I went for it. I have a couple of weeks to change my mind for the tascam :D

Would have preferred the mojo and higher degree of hands on from the tascam, plus extra DAW outs, but not 100% confident I could make it work for me in present state, whereas I can with the zoom.
Old 22nd April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Any way to sync other gear (no metronome or midi)
Any concept of tempo or markers relating to bars for punch in/out
Bouncing tracks

I went for a zoom L-20 in the end and am setting it up. It was a difficult choice, and the zoom isn't perfect either. But with the ability to sync modular /din sync via the metronome and the more flexible io I went for it. I have a couple of weeks to change my mind for the tascam :D

Would have preferred the mojo and higher degree of hands on from the tascam, plus extra DAW outs, but not 100% confident I could make it work for me in present state, whereas I can with the zoom.
I've been able to do *some* sync'ing with my Model 24, but it has to be master. I print SMPTE to a track on the MTR and sent it out one of the monitor channels. Has worked well syncing with Reaper. The issue I ran into is that there is some slight track bleed into the control room from the 2 monitors and fx sends even when the fader for them is completely down. Tascam has confirmed the issue and said they'd get back to me with any more info.

Prior to this I had a Zoom L12 (well I still have it, it now serves duty at the practice space). I liked it, but only having a few USB returns made the Tascam a lot more appealing, that and the Tascam being analog. The Zoom L-20 seems to have added some things I was missing w/ the 12, more outputs and solo buttons.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear
Yeah if the tascam will do class compliant im very tempted take the jump and run a straight ipad pro 12.5 rig. The ipad has been so productive worj wise as well.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

The Ipad can do bluetooth audio on channel 21/22 .

The final channel configuration – channel 21/22 has been optimized for use with mobile devices and features either Stereo RCA and 1/8” inputs as well as Bluetooth™ pairing. This channel has also been optimized to feed Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 via rotary auxiliary send controls

Cheers
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcloner View Post
I've been able to do *some* sync'ing with my Model 24, but it has to be master. I print SMPTE to a track on the MTR and sent it out one of the monitor channels. Has worked well syncing with Reaper. The issue I ran into is that there is some slight track bleed into the control room from the 2 monitors and fx sends even when the fader for them is completely down. Tascam has confirmed the issue and said they'd get back to me with any more info.

Prior to this I had a Zoom L12 (well I still have it, it now serves duty at the practice space). I liked it, but only having a few USB returns made the Tascam a lot more appealing, that and the Tascam being analog. The Zoom L-20 seems to have added some things I was missing w/ the 12, more outputs and solo buttons.
Cool thanks for the info/ideas. The zoom is defo going to be more cumbersome mixing from DAW but doable writing to SD (like I say.. cumbersome!!)

Other than bleed, does the Tascam give better quality / mojo mixing than the L-12? Interested to know from an owner of both
Old 23rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Cool thanks for the info/ideas. The zoom is defo going to be more cumbersome mixing from DAW but doable writing to SD (like I say.. cumbersome!!)

Other than bleed, does the Tascam give better quality / mojo mixing than the L-12? Interested to know from an owner of both
I personally think it sounds better, but it doesn't distort or anything when overdriving the preamps (which I was hoping for, like my trusty 424 mkii). It seems to have a lot of headroom from what I can tell. The EQ section IMO is also better on the Tascam. The effects on both are pretty lousy.

I do wish the Tascam had metering like the L12/20 though.

Small thing, but I find editing w/ the MTR to be easier on the Tascam than on the Zoom. Part of it is feel of the rotary encoder.
Old 2nd May 2019
Here for the gear

The benefit is that it is also a 24 Channel USB interface and you can loop in a DAW for insert processing on each channel. So you can use it as a hybrid between PortaStudio and DAW Interface. Plus it works really well as a Live Console. I have used on live gis and it pushes a reasonably good zie PA with 7 musicians and the best part is we can track all inputs onto separate tracks while playing live and ot have a computer hooked up to it. Plus the Bluetooth channel is perfect to stream break music through the system.
Old 11th May 2019
I've owned a couple zoom products and wasn't too happy. Noisy preamps when hit too hard, non-musical feel to the converters.
Tascam has been known for better sound.
I've been going back and forth as well.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Yes ! Tascam convertors are definitely musical.

More in a way of live recording and capture.

I have owned a few dp24 and 32 s and it is sweet enough without processing.

Tascam have been at it for 60 years so should know something about recording and conversion.

Im still lusting after the Model 24 but would like a 48 and seperate inputs and an insert on every channel for some of your outboard compression/ eq and reverb.

That to me would be the ultimate .

All you would need to do then is capture the 2 buss into a DA3000.

Voila!!
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Guru

I'm interested in the Zoom L12 as sort of a portastudio for personal or band demos, or small mixer. The Tascam would be too big to take to a beach house or something. Or for a small solo gig.

Price on the L20 and the Model 24 are both $899 currently, really interested in this discussion.

All three of these look really good to me.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

The Zoom is all digital whereas the Model 24 is an analogue mixer with digital recorder.

I just re bought the Tascam dp32 at 599$ which is all digital but sounds pretty good.

Cheers
Old 15th May 2019
Quote:
The Zoom is all digital whereas the Model 24 is an analogue mixer with digital recorder.

I just re bought the Tascam dp32 at 599$ which is all digital but sounds pretty good.

Cheers
I looked at the dp/sd series but that sound quality of the preamps/converters didn't sound clean of transparant to me. I had a Roland VS-2480 and those were ahead of their time IMO ... I think the4 Model 24 has the better preamps/converters in Tascams line ... I say this because none of them allow you to bypass the preamp so you get what you get and my interface is a RME UFX II which I'm super happy with so I'm looking for something modile to compliment the transparant sound quality which leaves me lurking between the Model 24 and MixPre-6M
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

The Model 24 has ultra high def preamps on channels 1-12.

The RME doesnt record 24 tracks one at a time either.

Convertors are important but only part of the equation.

You should be able to make something pretty decent on any Tascam recorder.

Whilst there convertors arent as pristine as RME or others Tascam have been in the biz for 60 years and sure
know about recording.

Cheers
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Guru

I'm also looking at the Mixpre 6M now
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
The Model 24 has ultra high def preamps on channels 1-12.

The RME doesnt record 24 tracks one at a time either.

Convertors are important but only part of the equation.

You should be able to make something pretty decent on any Tascam recorder.

Whilst there convertors arent as pristine as RME or others Tascam have been in the biz for 60 years and sure
know about recording.

Cheers

ya, that's why I'm considering the model 24 or mixpre 6M.
The RME I have racked in studio, I'm looking for something mobile to record out when needed and bring back in. I need it to be at least close in clear/transparant to the RME so it fits with other inhouse rrecorded sources and , myself the DP-32/sd which I owned just didn't do it unless I treated the source to bring it out. There was a noticeable difference to my ears.

The mixpre 6m would be easier to transport, but the model 24 has the eq/comp plus a lot more tracks.

I think the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on one is getting more info on which one plays nicer with the computer. PC based win10 with reaper.
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglide View Post
ya, that's why I'm considering the model 24 or mixpre 6M.
The RME I have racked in studio, I'm looking for something mobile to record out when needed and bring back in. I need it to be at least close in clear/transparant to the RME so it fits with other inhouse rrecorded sources and , myself the DP-32/sd which I owned just didn't do it unless I treated the source to bring it out. There was a noticeable difference to my ears.

The mixpre 6m would be easier to transport, but the model 24 has the eq/comp plus a lot more tracks.

I think the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on one is getting more info on which one plays nicer with the computer. PC based win10 with reaper.
I have narrowed it down to the MixPre-6M and Model 24 for the same reasons.

Size is a big factor and I think the MixPre is going to take the lead for me just because of ease of transport and storage--kind of a critical factor for how I plan to use it.
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

You solve 3 parts of the puzzle with the Model 24.

Interface, Mixer, Recorder.

Your normal interface would be either on the desktop or in a rack.

None of the competition has a recorder that works like a tape machine.

Record one channel or 8 or more.

Rewind, record again.

Cheers
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

For those of you that didnt know Tascam is releasing a few new pieces of gear in Summer 2019.

One of them is an 8 channel mic/pre with an analogue compressor on each channel.
Its called the 8p Dyna.

Wanna see a picture. Looks pretty tasty.
https://tascam.jp/us/product/series_208i/feature

Scroll down towards bottom of page.

Cheers

Last edited by nickknack; 18th May 2019 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: additional info
Old 19th May 2019
Quote:
For those of you that didnt know Tascam is releasing a few new pieces of gear in Summer 2019.

One of them is an 8 channel mic/pre with an analogue compressor on each channel.
Its called the 8p Dyna.

Wanna see a picture. Looks pretty tasty.
https://tascam.jp/us/product/series_208i/feature

Scroll down towards bottom of page.

Cheers
sweet! so that is a interface, not stand alone, does it have the one knob compression? I see it has the same preamps as the model 24.

I also see they call the EQ with the effects. I wonder if the effects cannot be used at the higher sample rates like the Zoom L20
Old 4 weeks ago
just did it - dropped the hammer on a Model 24.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

let us know your thoughts.

Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Thoughts :

Model 24 is a beautiful looking piece of gear!
(note) It came with firmware 1.00 - the latest being 1.31 which allows large format sd cards.
(I bought a 256gb, couldn't format it or update firmware, had to use 8gb from digital camera to do all that and now 256gb is recognized)
Connects as storage drive and interface no problem (PC/win10 pro/Reaper)
No audible noise with headphones.

I'm going to do recording tests this week.
Old 1 week ago
I spent some time with the model 24 and I'm happy with my purchase.
it is not an interface replacement unless you do live and just want to edit and mix down with some plugins, like the sweetwater video.

Clean sound, no noise a bit warmer than my UFX II but not in a lofi way, more in a musical way.
Took me a minute to remember how to use a board and the manual is seriously vague but a little common sense ...

If you're looking and have questions, I feel pretty figured out about it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search