The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound Workshop 34b - Worth messing with? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sound Workshop 34b - Worth messing with?

First a little background: We need a decent console to pair with a MCI JH24 and Ampex ATR102 or Ampex 354 for mixdown. The vibe is oldschool 60's, which we get mostly using older style tube pres, comps and mics (think mono Coles 4038 into Ampex MX10 pres) to accomplish the underlying sound, then slightly newer gear (70's/80's era) for routing flexibility, features, channel count and for an occasional push into the 70's/80's vibe. No matter what console we get, I'll mostly use really great outboard pres, so onboard preamps don't really matter. Will definitely use console EQ and mixbus, so that is very important.

A Sound Workshop 34b just came up for sale locally. very cheap in pretty good shape with lots of extra parts, Nichicon caps ready to install and NE5534 op amps ready to drop in. I'm a decent tech and can easily do all this.

I'm hearing a lot of differing opinions on these consoles. Some love em, some hate em.

Can anyone who's actually worked with these boards speak to their sonic quality? Keep in mind I'm looking for a vibey, funky sound, not a pristine SSL vibe.....then again, not a cloudy/crappy/lo-fi Tascam or A&H "vibe" either. I'd prefer something like an all discrete Studer, Harrison, Toft, Trident or possible PM1000....seems like the SW 34b MIGHT be in this same realm, depending on who you talk to. And the price is very low. What do you think? Is it worth messing with? Is the sound going to be on par with some of these other consoles mentioned? (yes, yes, yes, I know it's NOT an API) Thanks fellas!

PS: I've found a manual and decent, partial schematics for the basic stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Hi End modern capacitors internally (like Wima) and a larger PSU will make a world of difference. I had a later series 30 which was the same basic thing. I also had a patch point where the bus bypassed any circuitry that came after it (like the onboard monitor controller) that made an audible difference to the size/depth. The EQs are good for utility usage, cutting always seemed neutral to my ears and didn’t mess with the sound of the track in any way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks Nathan. I'll look into upgrading the PSU caps. I prefer Rubycon ZLJ or ZLH series for PSU duties (low ESR, long life @ high temps). Also, the patchbay look like plastic junk, I have some Switchcraft TT's I'd replace them with.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurango View Post
Thanks Nathan. I'll look into upgrading the PSU caps. I prefer Rubycon ZLJ or ZLH series for PSU duties (low ESR, long life @ high temps). Also, the patchbay look like plastic junk, I have some Switchcraft TT's I'd replace them with.
I don’t know which psu is with yours, but we upgraded ours to a model from a much larger more powerful SW, it was at least double the stock one. The difference was huge (bass, headroom etc)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
I don’t know which psu is with yours, but we upgraded ours to a model from a much larger more powerful SW, it was at least double the stock one. The difference was huge (bass, headroom etc)
Hey Nathan,

Okay now I'm looking at a SW series 40.....never even knew this existed. Any insight on this or how it compares to the 34c? Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search