The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there a particular "all-in-one" plugin that you favor? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 1 day ago
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Is there a particular "all-in-one" plugin that you favor?

I'm talking about plugins that combine several different plugins like compressor, eq, distortion, gate, reverb, delay and what not.

Just watched a video with A.Scheps showing his Omnichannel plugin... There's also CLA Vocals/Bass/Drums series... etc.

Do you favor any one of them over using a combination of various plugins?

I personally, being a newbie in all this, find them a bit... off putting because they are clearly designed for someone who understands exactly what it is they need or trying to achieve and who know exactly how much of what they need. Since I don't possess that knowledge d/t lack of experience and I still have no slightest clue what it is exactly the "character" of certain emulations like 1176, 2A or SSL EQ... to me they sound different from each other but I have no idea exactly how or if better or worse... just different... I find that using separate favorite plugins helps me more at this point in time. But I definitely like the idea of having "all-in-one" type of plugins.

To those who's more proficient at mixing, do you still stick to using a variety of plugins or do you consolidate your plugins into one of these "Omni" type pluygins, maybe on just specific parts rather than every sound?
Old 1 day ago
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Murky Waters's Avatar
 

Izotope Neutron is a decent all-in-one for the trepidatious or otherwise.
Old 1 day ago
  #3
Not a plugin, per se, but the channel strip built into Cubase pretty much does it all, and quite well! The tape saturation is among the best out there.
Old 1 day ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
No.
Old 1 day ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
For me the goal is to learn how to use the tools properly to get pro sounding music recorded and mixed. I avoid the all purpose plug ins because to me they are designed to prevent people from learning the tools by sort of doing it for you.

I sort of feel this way about flying airplanes - when I learned to fly we used NDB and VOR navigation and had to really pay attention to where we were by also checking with maps and if not in the clouds, the ground. These days it is all done with GPS. Granted, it is easier and safer but I am of the school that one needs to know the tools in case the GPS fails.
Old 1 day ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
I'm talking about plugins that combine several different plugins like compressor, eq, distortion, gate, reverb, delay and what not.

Just watched a video with A.Scheps showing his Omnichannel plugin... There's also CLA Vocals/Bass/Drums series... etc.

Do you favor any one of them over using a combination of various plugins?

I personally, being a newbie in all this, find them a bit... off putting because they are clearly designed for someone who understands exactly what it is they need or trying to achieve and who know exactly how much of what they need. Since I don't possess that knowledge d/t lack of experience and I still have no slightest clue what it is exactly the "character" of certain emulations like 1176, 2A or SSL EQ... to me they sound different from each other but I have no idea exactly how or if better or worse... just different... I find that using separate favorite plugins helps me more at this point in time. But I definitely like the idea of having "all-in-one" type of plugins.

To those who's more proficient at mixing, do you still stick to using a variety of plugins or do you consolidate your plugins into one of these "Omni" type pluygins, maybe on just specific parts rather than every sound?
I have an instance of Scheps Omnichannel on every one of my Logic Pro channels - find it very good, but I still use a bunch of other plugins, and bear in mind Omnichn has no effects. Eventide do a channel strip which includes reverb and delay but it's a terribly ugly thing... :(

As you're new to things I would suggest sticking to whatever plugins are included with your DAW.
Old 1 day ago
  #7
Here for the gear
Acustica Pink, Gold etc.
Old 1 day ago
  #8
Gear Addict
Waves TG mastering strip is pretty good one of the few I’ve found that has good presets and easy to learn to adjust to taste. I still use other plugins but wouldn’t have to could do a record with the TG . But no fx .
Also just bought the Brain worx neve console channel when it went on sale Has saturation,eq,comp gate and pretty straight forward to use . But the neve channel is expensive until a sell which was 49$
Old 1 day ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Dr. Mordo's Avatar
 

The SSL Channel Strip - either Waves or SSL Duende. Both are great.

It gets used on most of the tracks in every project I mix. The only tricky part is the compressor, which I find a bit challenging to dial in at higher levels of gain reduction.
Old 1 day ago
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
Waves TG mastering strip is pretty good one of the few I’ve found that has good presets and easy to learn to adjust to taste. I still use other plugins but wouldn’t have to could do a record with the TG . But no fx .
Also just bought the Brain worx neve console channel when it went on sale Has saturation,eq,comp gate and pretty straight forward to use . But the neve channel is expensive until a sell which was 49$
I’ve never tried any of the presets, but the TG Mastering channel is what I’ve been using as an all around channel strip lately. It brings back some of the functionality I’ve been missing since the original Abbey Road plug-ins were discontinued.
Old 1 day ago
  #11
Gear Guru
 

channel strip plug-ins have never appealed to me
Old 1 day ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post

To those who's more proficient at mixing, do you still stick to using a variety of plugins or do you consolidate your plugins into one of these "Omni" type pluygins, maybe on just specific parts rather than every sound?

Yes
Old 1 day ago
  #13
Gear Addict
 

To the OPs question, I don’t favour channel strip plugins per se, if I want one, I lean to the waves SSL G channel because I have other SSL gear and like their EQ and compression inline on audio channels received in a session. It’s all relevant to the material in question though.
I do have Go-To things I like for a particular vibe though, and will build a channel strip of sorts using a variety of manufacturers to get the right fit - I may even only use certain bands of EQ from certain plugins (If using plugins) to get the sound I want.
It’s all program dependent, and what sound you’re after.
Old 23 hours ago
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
channel strip plug-ins have never appealed to me
Why is that do you think? Is it the concept, or are they just not done well enough for you? I’m going to guess the later, because a single ‘all-in-one’ channel strip plugin seems to me to be the workflow ideal, in terms of both simplicity, and functionality.
Old 23 hours ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
Why is that do you think? Is it the concept, or are they just not done well enough for you? I’m going to guess the later, because a single ‘all-in-one’ channel strip plugin seems to me to be the workflow ideal, in terms of both simplicity, and functionality.
I don't know why the major DAWs don't have a standard built in channel strip - they are modelled after mixing consoles after all. I use Logic, and an SSL type built in strip would be great, instead of pulling up a 3rd party or individual inserts for every track. I think Reason does as standard.
Old 23 hours ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
kuasalogam's Avatar
Used to love, but now never used: Waves SSL Channel

Liked the functions and features, but doesn't really like the GUI: Metric Halo Channel Strip, Eventide Ultra Channel

Latest addition, often used: Scheps Omni Channel
Old 22 hours ago
  #17
Gear Head
 

I just picked up the Scheps OmniChannel in their recent sale, but haven´t been able to use it yet - can anyone give some info on how the impact on CPU is with that one on 8+ channels?

does it scale fairly predictable, or are there some behind-the-scenes shenanigans going on (like emulated channel crosstalk etc.) that cause the CPU to spike after a certain number of instances?
Old 20 hours ago
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

The only one out of these all in one solution I like and use often is CLA Bass by Waves. (at least amongst the one I tried)
Although you can obtain similar or even better results with a chain of other plugins I find it to always deliver a great sound with just a couple of tweaks.
Really like it. The compression/limiting section just works, the sub control is great and the distortion/saturation options are always spot on.
Can't go wrong.
I get more mixed results with the Waves Kramer drums and guitars. Especially the Kick and Tom setting on K drums works well when I'm in a super hurry.
Old 19 hours ago
  #19
Gear Head
 

Console 1, although it is a bit more than just an all-in-one plug in. I still use standalone compressor plug-ins pretty often though.

As far as being uncertain about function/sound of the different emulations, you should definitely hit ups Waves or Softtube (or whatever plug-in dev you like) and demo the major "flavors" like Neve (Schep 73 from Waves), SSL and API (American console by Softtube/Waves API bundle) on a track with a bunch of different sources. Then just swap the strips in and out on different tracks, play around with the settings and you'll get a feel for what each strip brings and how their components operate/impact the sound. I think once you get a feel for how the strips sound you'll have a better idea of when/how to use them to achieve your goals, like using API EQ for punchy drums or SSL to record something clean and fast.

Not to sound flip, but reading the manuals will give you a ton of insight into how to use the strips as well, but don't get wrapped up in the marketing hype that fills the first few pages.
Old 19 hours ago
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
channel strip plug-ins have never appealed to me
Agree. The ones I've tried seem to be plugs that do a lot of things just OK.
Old 16 hours ago
  #21
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
Why is that do you think? Is it the concept,
I am not sure. I just look at it and go: "nah".

In my tape days, I had a custom built console that was very high-spec, but short on features. Most of my good EQ and so on was outboard and was patched in and prioritized. I guess I am just really used to the idea of customizing each signal chain. Even if I wasn't used to it, to me, customizing seems like the "ideal" - artistically - if not practically. And with plug-ins, you have as many as you want of any given thing. No need for Triage.

Another reason is that I still perceive it as 'wasteful' - of CPU, of screen real-estate, of Brain Cycles. Just like how your grandparents who lived through the Depression might pinch their pennies, it's a habit that may not even be relevant today, but still hard to shake. Why would I instantiate a whole chain of stuff, if I am only going to use the EQ? I know many of them you can disable unused sections, but it's still 'there' and it kind of bugs me.

Quote:
or are they just not done well enough for you? I’m going to guess the later, because a single ‘all-in-one’ channel strip plugin seems to me to be the workflow ideal, in terms of both simplicity, and functionality.
To be perfectly honest, I don't think I have gotten far enough with any channel strip plug to have seriously compared it sonically to any individual plugs. I am sure many of them must be more than decent. I have never even given them the 'chance'. At any rate, "simplicity" in my mixing workflow is something that has always eluded me.
Old 15 hours ago
  #22
Gear Addict
 
Poopypants's Avatar
 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the brainworx stuff. The Console N plug is very useful to me. Depending on what I'm doing, few tracks need anything else. I just got the Console E plug, and while I haven't used it much yet, it's obvious that it will function similarly to the N. I don't consider myself an expert mixer, but I have pretty high standards, and I've been a professional musician for decades. I need to get results and I need a workflow that works for me. I did not come up as an engineer, and have never worked as an engineer in any studio but mine. (I have performed in many, many studios for decades.) If you're in a situation similar to mine, you might find the brainworx console plugs extremely helpful.
Old 11 hours ago
  #23
The Scheps Omnichannel is superb.
Old 9 hours ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 

I never liked "strips" or should I say the concept and found it very odd when I first found out about - I'll concede for the sake of the argument there may be some good ones out there. But to me it's like a restaurant that sells every type of food. It's unlikely they do it all well; they're spread too thin. At the least I find it highly likely there are plugins about doing one thing which will beat out the do-it-all's most if not all of the time.
Old 1 hour ago
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I never liked "strips" or should I say the concept and found it very odd when I first found out about - I'll concede for the sake of the argument there may be some good ones out there. But to me it's like a restaurant that sells every type of food. It's unlikely they do it all well; they're spread too thin. At the least I find it highly likely there are plugins about doing one thing which will beat out the do-it-all's most if not all of the time.
Erm.... "strips" as a concept has been working for decades.

People were doing records with mostly the SSL channel features for a long time without any problems - for example. (there would be some added outboard here and there but they would mostly rely with success on the EQ and dyn section of every channel of the console)

It's great to mix and match different flavors no doubt but good strips do work for many!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mwtzzz / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
48
The Press Desk / Product Alerts older than 2 months
75
candyflip / Mastering forum
6
lucasmusic / So much gear, so little time
47

Forum Jump
Forum Jump