The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient ASP800 or ASP880 w/Apollo Twin Duo Audio Interfaces
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
Audient ASP800 or ASP880 w/Apollo Twin Duo

Hi, I am looking to extend my Apollo Twin Duo MKII with 8 channels. Been looking around for a while and I think Audient ASP800 or 880 could be a good solution. Though I haven't on which of the two. The 800 has the HMX/IRON and 880 has the HI/MID/LO. It's not so easy to decide based on listening to the difference on YouTube etc. I don't use much outboards other than the UA LA 610 preamp/compressor at the moment, but I am looking for a EQ as well. The rest I work out with pedals and plugins for the moment.

Grateful for any tips!

I am using Logic pro X and a mac book pro.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear
Sorry man, but I don't think that's gonna work. The Apollo Twin doesn't have 8X ADAT in...
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

I had Twin and 880, good combination and sure it works.
-Old picture

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
Audient ASP800 or ASP880 w/Apollo Twin Duo-rvyahrkp.jpg  
Old 10 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Sorry man, but I don't think that's gonna work. The Apollo Twin doesn't have 8X ADAT in...
I know it works, 100%. Please check before replying.
Old 10 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
I had Twin and 880, good combination and sure it works.
-Old picture

Matti
Thanks. I know it works, I was just looking for tips for choosing between the 800/880.
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Inserts on 880 was my choice

Matti
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Maniac
800 does the trick. lots of bells and whistles on the 880, but 800 does the trick and can be got for cheap second hand.
Old 8 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
800 does the trick. lots of bells and whistles on the 880, but 800 does the trick and can be got for cheap second hand.
Other than inserts, what would you say fall in favour of the 880? Have you worked with both?
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by redinoslo View Post
Other than inserts, what would you say fall in favour of the 880? Have you worked with both?
have not personally worked with the 880, but did extensive research on both before ending up with the 800. 880 has better converters, sweepable HPF on every channel, and impedance switching which is awesome for dynamics and ribbons and can allow some pretty versatile tonal options.

i use a lot of drum samples and half of the channels i’m connecting over analog to my Apollo X8, so the 800 is totally better suited for my rig, as i don’t need a lot of the other per-channel features of the 880 or 8 channels of the best conversion/clocking. getting along fine with my 800. having the color options on channels 1/2 (kick in/snare top) is awesome!
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by redinoslo View Post
I know it works, 100%. Please check before replying.
Ah my bad. Usually interfaces count their digital inputs and say something like ‘10x6 audio interface’, which the ad materials for the twin don’t do. Good to know I can use my ASP800 with the Twin I have lying around and not just my bigger interface lol.

The pres on the 800 are great, and the HMX add some versatility. I think it’s a sweet spot for price/performance. However, if you wanna use more outboard on the way in, the 880 may make more sense. Without the insert points, the only way you could make use of analog eq is either pass an analog output from the 800 through the unit and into an analog input on the apollo, or run a couple tracks at a time back out of the apollo with extra DAD conversion. Either way, you lose some of the benefit of your expanded inputs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search