The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good Pitch Mod for Character Voices - help! Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Good Pitch Mod for Character Voices - help!

I'm recording a "radio play" type of project for which I'm voicing multiple characters. There's a cartoony nature to it where I need to have some deep voices and some chipmunk-ish characters too. I'm in Protools 12.8.3.

Every pitch modulation plugin I try has annoying artifacting, especially on the higher pitched voices. I know the Eventide DSP4000 rack-mount can do real-time processing that is silky smooth. But there has to be a way I can achieve what I need without spending $1.5K+ on a 30 year old unit that I only need for ONE of its functions.

Plug-ins I've tried the Eventide H3000 Factory, Flux IRCAM Trax, Soundtoys Little Alter Boy, Protools native Pitch shift...

They all have digital artifacting noise. Nothing creates the natural smoothness I need.

It seems crazy to buy an expensive outboard piece that has a million effects I don't need, just to get a powerful enough processor. Any ideas?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I have used a Lexicon MX200 for just such a thing, as it has a pitch shift setting that works great for voices all the way from the super-deep monster voice all the way up to chipmunks.

I'm sure there are better units out there, but this one certainly wont break the bank and does a great job at what you're looking to do.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafer View Post
I'm recording a "radio play" type of project for which I'm voicing multiple characters. There's a cartoony nature to it where I need to have some deep voices and some chipmunk-ish characters too. I'm in Protools 12.8.3.

Every pitch modulation plugin I try has annoying artifacting, especially on the higher pitched voices. I know the Eventide DSP4000 rack-mount can do real-time processing that is silky smooth. But there has to be a way I can achieve what I need without spending $1.5K+ on a 30 year old unit that I only need for ONE of its functions.

Plug-ins I've tried the Eventide H3000 Factory, Flux IRCAM Trax, Soundtoys Little Alter Boy, Protools native Pitch shift...

They all have digital artifacting noise. Nothing creates the natural smoothness I need.

It seems crazy to buy an expensive outboard piece that has a million effects I don't need, just to get a powerful enough processor. Any ideas?
No plugin really cuts it IMO. I have used Antares harmony engine but it is limited.
On the used market an eventide H3000 is the best for the price point

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search