The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
does I/O count include adat? Audio Interfaces
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

does I/O count include adat?

looking at an interface like the Apollo x8p that lists 16x22 I/O but has two ADAT inputs. Does the I/O count not include the possible 16 digital ADAT ins?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It typically includes all inputs/outputs. Manufacturers know many beginners get hooked into buying gear aren't knowledgeable about. Inflating channel counts to include the digital ins and outs can trick beginners into buying gear that may not be suitable to their needs.

What you need to do is check the specs. You want to see how many Mic preamps and how many line level in's and outs the gear has.
Other digital in's and outs like SPIDF and ADAT require you to buy additional gear to use. When you add up the cost of the main units plus the additional preamps and digital units it can be allot more expensive then you thought to use all the channels.

One of the better buy's out there is something like the Tascam 16X08. Its got 8 mic preamps, 8 line inputs and 8 line outputs.
You can add an 8 channel mic preamp at a very reasonable cost and have the full 16 mic inputs or you could record from the inserts of an 8 channel mixer. Or you could use the 8 channel mixer to track the 8 line inputs then also use it for mixing with the 8 outputs if you want to mix analog. Having 8 line input/outputs also allow you to bus multiple hardware effects.

The Apollo stuff is good but you'll be spending allot of cash to match what the Tascam does. I'd rather spend that cash on the front end gear which really makes a big difference in audio quality like mics, hardware effects, preamps and software vs spend it on an expensive interface and lacking good front end gear.
Old 4 days ago
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

There's no set way, but usually they will list the absolute theoretical maximum, ha!

For example, I noticed when I got a Babyface Pro I was pretty sure RME counted the headphone output as "two unbalanced outputs"... technically that's correct: left and right unbalanced signals over a TRS cable. And the software does actually allow you to functionally route two tracks that way if you were desperate for outputs and weren't just connecting headphones. But still basically "one stereo headphone output" would be more descriptive of what's going on, haha.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Forget the numbers. You have to study images of the back of the unit and see which inputs and outputs are actually useful to your needs. For instance I’m surprised at how many interfaces still throw in a S/PDIF even though they largely go unused by most folks. Maybe they’re just a cheap way to boost the i/o number.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The specific interface you're asking about is more confusing than most as there are alternative inputs and multi adat ports for s-mux only.

So for the stated 16 inputs

There are 8 combo connectors and 8 line ins on db25. But only 8 channels simultaneous record to DAW

There are 8 channels over ADAT....the two inputs is for higher sample rates where you can only have 4 channels per port.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys I did more reading and starting to wrap my head around how ADAT works. I am using an Audient iD14 and ASP800, and considering what my options might be to upgrade the interface and probably add another ASP800. I can use all 10 inputs for a kit but would like to have enough pres available to track a full band live. It looks like the iD44 will let me record 16 tracks of ADAT at 48k. It seems odd to me that higher quality/more expensive interfaces like the Apollo only allow 8 total channels. I’m shopping around for other options now that I know a little more about what to look for.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I liked my ID22 but sold it to my drummer friend who liked it enough to upgrade to the ID44 when it came out.

The ID22 has 2 analog inputs and one set of ADAT in/out to add up to 8 more.

The ID44 has 4 preamp inputs, and two sets of ADAT in/out. So with two ASP800's thats 20 preamps/AD inputs. Pretty awesome. When I go over to his place I take a rack with eight 500-series preamps into a Lucid 88192 converter connected to his ID44 via an adat cable. With his 4 Audient interface pre's that gives us 12, with the potential to add eight more via the 2nd adat in/out. Works great!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search