The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Are Some Good Hardware De-Essers for voice (podcasting)? Condenser Microphones
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

What Are Some Good Hardware De-Essers for voice (podcasting)?

Im tracking vocals for a podcast and voiceover. Everything sounds great. Wa87>compressor>eq>Audient id22>audition.

My problem is that i have a gap in my teeth and can get pretty sibilant. So i was wondering if anyone could suggest a hardware De-Esser.

My setup is set and forget. Id like to dial in a setting that kills my sibilance before it enters my computer. And be able to do away with desser plugins.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Sidechain the compressor with an Eq to tame the sibilance on the way in - any cheap Eq will do fine as you won’t ‘hear’ the Eq per say
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Could you explain how to do this with hardware compressors. All the youtube videos seem to be using plugins.
Noob here, sorry.
Old 5 days ago
Engagement Manager

The EL Derresser is one of my favourites and really powerful but it’s 500 series so expensive if you don’t already have a rack
Old 5 days ago
SPL or Orban.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Dbx 520 could be an option
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

SPL and the Dave Durr (Empirical Labs) are both excellent.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Dbx 902
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggerTugger View Post
Im tracking vocals for a podcast and voiceover. Everything sounds great. Wa87>compressor>eq>Audient id22>audition.

My problem is that i have a gap in my teeth and can get pretty sibilant. So i was wondering if anyone could suggest a hardware De-Esser.

My setup is set and forget. Id like to dial in a setting that kills my sibilance before it enters my computer. And be able to do away with desser plugins.
May I ask you if you could consider a mic that is less sibilant?
Honestly before any de esser I'd try to get you vocals less "essy" as possible..

Possible contenders on the budget:
- Tlm193
- Coles 4038
- AEA R84 or maybe even the new KU5A

That said the one on the pendulum is nice (not cheap and integrated into the quartet channelstrip) the dbx is also pretty good..

Cheu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search