The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why is the Sterling Audio ST59 So Little Known? Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Why is the Sterling Audio ST59 So Little Known?

I recently got an Sterling Audio ST59 for really cheap off an auction on Ebay, and while I've been waiting for it to ship, I have been looking for reviews and thoughts on the mic. I can find hardly anything in terms of reviews and it seems like it's not very well known at all among the audio community. Why is this?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Sterling is an interesting brand. I won’t try to restate the history, but it is now a house brand of Musician’s Friend. I don’t think the ST59 is a current offering, so it may be an orphan product from a brand that is now just that, a brand, not really a design team or production facility that has any history.
I don’t know anything about your particular model.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It appears to be a re-packaged groove tubes mic. 22db self-noise is insanely high for an FET mic in 2019.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Sterling/ST59
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
It appears to be a re-packaged groove tubes mic. 22db self-noise is insanely high for an FET mic in 2019.

Sterling Audio ST59 FET | RecordingHacks.com
I had questions about that as well because on various sites it also quotes it's equivalent weighted noise as 14dbA.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post

Sterling Audio ST59 FET | RecordingHacks.com
Aspen Pittman/Groove Tubes... that’s the orphan family. According to the link, it is a three pattern fairly flat mic. I owned a pair of Aspen Pittman tube mics for a few years. They were a good buy in the 1990s. I don’t know how to evaluate those mics today.
Old 6 days ago
ST-31's are my go to snare mic.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

I’ve gotta pick up another and try that Jim!

I had a couple but needed the bodies since the EV RE200 bodies wouldn’t really go back together after pulling them apart to have the circuits replaced with something more Sony C37A-like. Apparently, it just so happens the RE200 capsule fits perfectly in the stock ST31 capsule holder! Anyhow, it all amazingly really smoothed out the RE200 capsule, compared to the stock RE200; which I found sounded great but very bright. My custom mics from Barbaric Amplification I consider very balanced and I can really hear compression sound.

Anyhow, all that was rather off topic, but I mention, really, to show that you’ll probably never outgrow a Sterling mic. You’ll always find use for them; be them stock or otherwise!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search