The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Parallel bus compression in MONO?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Parallel bus compression in MONO?

Curious the limits of this. If you've got you're mixbus, or sub-mixbus (ie: drum bus), can you take a mono version of this, send to a mono compressor, and mix back into the bus (ie: parallel compression) without crazy phase cancellation or other undesirable issues?

With software prob unnecessary, but if you can do this with hardware, makes it MUCH easier on the wallet. If this is a bad idea, why? Been reading a lot of threads, and they say a lot about parallel compression, and mono compression, but not much about mixing them this way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah you can definitely do mono parallel compression. If I'm understanding the question right, it's not a problem at all, very common. A bus doesn't haven't to be just two channels, it can be one channel, or any number of channels.

Regarding phase issues if using hardware, that's usually up to your DAW to figure out these days with features like "Automatic Delay Compensation" and such (or whatever your DAW calls it). But you can figure it out manually also if need be. There are even utility plugin tools that allow fine control over phase alignment to get it perfect.

It's also a benefit of analog summing, it makes using outboard hardware easy without having to use any delay compensation in the DAW, since everything is sent out at the same time, processed in the analog domain, and re-recorded back into the DAW as a whole vs. an individual track.

A lot of compressor plugins have a wet/dry knob (parallel compression) simply built in to the plugin, so just slap them on a stereo or mono track and adjust the wet/dry knob and done. Very helpful.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

There's nothing wrong with a mono parallel compression scheme. If in the box, with proper delay compensation, there shouldn't be a problem with phase issues. If there are phase issues when making things mono without plugins involved, there's an issue with the tracking.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

so if I have a 2 bus in my daw, either drums or full mix, I can send a mono version of this out to a hardware mono compressor and rerecord it and mix it back in with my original 2 bus without phase issues? I think that's what I'm hearing people say, but I'm not sure. so long as I compensate for round trip latency, of course, using a ping plugin or the like. is that correct?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search