The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Mono analogue synth? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

What Mono analogue synth?

I want to add a mono analogue synth to my setup.
I have a Jupiter 6... Juno 106 ... MKS80 with MPG80 and EMU E6400Ultra.
Looking at a good bass synth but one that is capable of a lot more. As you can see I have the Roland sound covered. Trying to decide between Toraiz AS-1 ...
SE - 02 ( Does it sound too Roland?) or stretching to a Moog Subsequent 37.
Love the sound of the Grandmother but want patch memory ....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

It seems like a Moog flavor would be good to have.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don't write off the Behringer offerings... Or how about the Waldorf Pulse II? A very usable synth but doesn't have onboard effects which is a real shame.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
It seems like a Moog flavor would be good to have.
Agreed.... One should never do without Moog flavor.

The SE-02 sounds spectacular in demos I’ve heard, at any price point.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Pulse II has a huge bass sound. Huge. And a tons of memory patch locations. It also has left and right output, so you can pan things in great ways using the LFO or just the Oscillators. This makes for a really fat sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Another vote for moog.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Surprises View Post
I want to add a mono analogue synth to my setup.
I have a Jupiter 6... Juno 106 ... MKS80 with MPG80 and EMU E6400Ultra.
Looking at a good bass synth but one that is capable of a lot more. As you can see I have the Roland sound covered. Trying to decide between Toraiz AS-1 ...
SE - 02 ( Does it sound too Roland?) or stretching to a Moog Subsequent 37.
Love the sound of the Grandmother but want patch memory ....
Last time I played around with the se-02 I was smitten. In the same setup as a Boog but on a different MIDI and mixer channel. I started with the Boog, but ended with the se-02. It seems 'aggressive Moog-ish' to me, but maybe because of the Roland or SE influence it seems musically voiced and not harsh unless I REALLY pushed it. Those are subjective terms, but in sound I kinda preferred it to the Boog (maybe because it was more 'new' for me), and you can twist the sound easily in different ways. It's like a modern development to that Moogy timbre, but maybe not quite as modern as demos I've heard of the Sub series. Though the knobs are tiny, the interface was more interesting to me, but maybe that's because I'm more used to the Minimoog. So it was still fairly new to me, but already very intuitive. I'm tempted, but don't really need it, and have other priorities. But if I needed a mono...

OTOH, you don't have a Sequential voice, right? I like what I've heard from the AS-1, a single Prophet 6 voice, but I have no firsthand experience at all with the Pioneer. It seems like it must bury many of the parameters - there aren't so many physical controls. But the computer control seems extensive, and there's alot of presets. You could get both?!

OTOH, what about the Moog Sirin, Analogue Messenger of Joy? It looks like a cute little Grandmother, but it's not really. It seems to share the computer connectivity paradigm like as-1, but with extended range Minitaur-like sound. So, fat bass plus alot more. Patch memory is 128.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Get the Boog. Best bang/buck. Unless you have to have the real thing, get the re-issue.

But in general, a model D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Get the Boog. Best bang/buck. Unless you have to have the real thing, get the re-issue.

But in general, a model D.
Yeah, it is, and ludicrously, they seem to be on sale alot. But the OP wants patch memory. Are any of Behringer's new mono recreations designed with patch memory? The Pro-1 would be another good choice if it did, but I haven't watched any function rundowns, more just jams like Divkid's recent one at Thomann (which kinda had a 'cool function' rundown tho).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the Novation Circuit Mono Station is currently on sale in the US for $330. It has 2 Bass Station II oscs with the 'classic' filter (1 less env & lfo), can sequence its own analog synth or your other gear via MIDI or CV. You can play and sequence it via MIDI keyboard. Patch memory. Just one more option.
Old 1 week ago
This thread is useless without MFB's Dominion 1 at least as a suggestion for you to look into.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I played with a Subsequent 37 today, it was super cool. Very hands on control.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I demoed the Roland se-02 the other day and it was superb. It sounded more Dave Smith than Moog to me. Superb stuff. Another cheap option I fell in love with was the Pioneer Toraiz AS-1. Super THICK juicy warm analog sound. Many people skip over this one because Pioneer is usually DJ gear stuff, but this is in fact a single voice Prohet-6 (not a clone, its the same circuitry), and it sounds exactly like how that should be.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Had a listen to few synths yesterday. I think my headphones were crap in the shop because I was underwhelmed by The Moog Subsequent 37 .... going to take mine and try again. Liked the sound of the Toraiz AS-1 ... impressed. Reminded me of my old Pro One ... pity it looks so crap. Didn't get time to listen to the Roland SE-02 but boy was that thing small ..... in fact it has been a while since I have been in a music shop and even though I was aware from looking online I couldn't believe how small crappy and toy like everything was. Even the Moog wasn't that great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search