The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving, how to pack gear?
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head

Moving, how to pack gear?

I will soon be moving a few states away from where I am now. In the past, packing my gear has been pretty simple, since I have not moved more than a handful of miles in the past twenty years or so.

I have a room full of synthesizers of all shapes and sizes, a mid-format mixer, two small-format mixers, racks, stands, mics, and cables. What is the best way to pack all this up? Moving boxes don't come in sizes or shapes appropriate to most of this stuff, and I can't afford hard cases. I imagine I will want tons of bubble wrap.

I'm conflicted as to whether to let the moving company move my gear or to load it onto the trailer I'm going to rent for the final move. The former is just plain helpful, while the latter provides a little more peace of mind that someone won't accidentally break something. I'm also not convinced the trailer will have enough room anyway.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

First, keep it under your constant watch! If you are traveling by car with a trailer, definitely keep it all with you. If you have some bumps in the road or worse (knocking on wood for you) at least you will know exactly what happened and not have to go through trying to get coverage and compensation for someone else's mystery work.

I've not done long distance moves in the past but, to be frugal and economical, I've wrapped synths and other things in towels and clothing, acting as bubble wrap would, and tied or taped to keep it wrapped securely. I'm sure bubble wrap is cheap enough though. If you can't find boxes that fit, you might want to break down some boxes and 'wrap' cardboard shells around each piece with packing tape, outside of the bubble wrap layer.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head
Check your local music store to see if they will give you any boxes. A guitar shipping box would probably work with many synths. Home Depot carries bubble wrap and other packing materials. I would bag the synth with a trash bag to keep dust/water out, then tape bubble pack around it and then box it. Don't leave things in trash bags for months though because they deteriorate. Box everything, it will be much easier to load/unload and to keep track of. Use a sharpie to mark the boxes so you can unpack in an orderly method for setting up at your destination. You might want to chain the trailer to the truck so you don't lose everything in one trailer grab.
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

Packing blankets are pretty good substitutes for cases / boxes. I wrapped all my synths that didn't have cases in them, and they transferred well. Beautiful hardwood racks as well. First, I wrapped them in that saran wrap type plastic film to keep out moisture - then the blankets. I just took the legs off my console and had 4x people move it - one on either end onto the lift gate if the truck and pushed it in on the floor and left it there with some styrofoam under it. Make sure there is padding around / under your delicate gear.

One thing is FOR CERTAIN.....

Never ever EVER let a moving company move your gear. I would never let it out of my personal site. I just moved my inlaws house, and the movers lost 20% of their stuff and never found it, and they won't cover any losses. I don't know how you can get away with this, but they do.

For my studio's move, (which filled a 15' ? box truck) I personally rented a Penske lift gate truck, and wheeled all my gear into it and personally drove it myself to it's new destination.

If you DO use a moving company, make SURE to insure all your gear for 3-5X's it's value. Then if you do take a loss, you'll be covered, but be aware, that is going to cost you a small fortune.

Best of luck!!
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Bubble wrap, packing/moving blankets, boxes, ect... Wrap everything in plastic wrap before packing. Rent your own trailer for just the gear. Also now may be a good time to sell anything you are not wanting or needing.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Head

I have decided to transport the bulk of my gear myself in my truck.

Thank you for all the replies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search