The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dark Microphones for Acoustic Guitar
Old 26th March 2019
Here for the gear

Dark Microphones for Acoustic Guitar

I am looking for a Microphone for acoustic guitar, i want something that picks up the more darker tones in the guitar and i am not sure which mic would be best. i know this is probably asked alot on the site and if there is a thread that answers my question please link it to me.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Guru

Welcome to GS !!!

so, you might try a Ribbon Microphone ..

if you are looking to buy, what budget do you have in mind ... ?? there are some that are fairlycheapand then some that are more expensive ..

i have Apex 205's - 99.00 each (i had mine modded though) and als0o Coles 4038 - 1350.00 .. there are others as well .. RCA 44 but the price is up there ..

what are you using now ??

cheers john
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Addict
my two favorite mics for acoustic guitar have always been u67 for a brighter sound. coles 4038 ribbon for a darker sound.

i've yet to find other mics that i like better, but ultimately...the guitar is the main factor to consider.

i love how taylor guitars sound and play. hate how they record.

they always seem too hyped to me. they seem scooped, for lack of a better term. lots of lows and highs. mids kinda boring.

i just like old gibsons and martins. even yamahas and alvarez and sigma from the 70's always sound right to me.

my favorite is my 1943 gibson lg2. it is naturally a well balanced acoustic guitar. most people think it sounds too dark.

it always fits in a track just perfectly.

so many options out there, but your guitar and your room will have as much affect on the "darkness" of an acoustic sound...as the mic.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Addict
the thing with mics like a u67 or the coles....they make it almost too easy.

if you have a nice sounding acoustic and a good player...in a nice room....just put one of those mics close to the acoustic guitar...put it into a decent preamp...maybe a bit of light compression...and boom, you sound like the best engineer ever.

i can't tell you how many times folks have commented on acoustic sounds i've gotten on records, asking my tricks.

the answer: a good guitar, a good player, a good part...put a good mic close to the guitar. don't forget to press record.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Guru

If the high dollar mics mentioned are out of your range, look at the Roswell Pro Audio Mini K47.
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only my natural state of being ***** curious.. what the heck might be going on here?

"Frequency response: 30Hz to 11KHz @ +/- 3 dBs"
http://www.nohypeaudio.com/lrm-v%20factory%20curve.jpg

The '+/- 3dB' aside for a moment, could this be a close response plot -unlike most, showing proximity effect?
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodHovland View Post
I am looking for a Microphone for acoustic guitar, i want something that picks up the more darker tones in the guitar...
Sometimes it's more about the guitar than the mic. A guitar with a mahogany top will typically sound darker and more mellow than a similar instrument with, say, a more typical spruce top.

You can find live Youtube videos of the Milk Carton Kids, two guys with acoustics, one with a spruce top and the other mahogany, and the difference in tone is pretty obvious.

I can also post examples of spruce and mahogany I've recorded with the same mic in the same room, if that's of interest.

Coming at it from the other direction, I do about 99% of my own acoustic recording with one guitar, an old beater spruce-top Ibanez. I've recorded it with a bunch of different mics ranging from a Pearlman TM1 (very open, detailed and airy) to an EV 666 (very much the opposite). With that guitar and me playing, the recordings sound more similar than you might think.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
my two favorite mics for acoustic guitar have always been u67 for a brighter sound. coles 4038 ribbon for a darker sound.

i've yet to find other mics that i like better, but ultimately...the guitar is the main factor to consider.

they always seem too hyped to me. they seem scooped, for lack of a better term. lots of lows and highs. mids kinda boring.

i just like old gibsons and martins. even yamahas and alvarez and sigma from the 70's always sound right to me.

my favorite is my 1943 gibson lg2. it is naturally a well balanced acoustic guitar. most people think it sounds too dark.

so many options out there, but your guitar and your room will have as much affect on the "darkness" of an acoustic sound...as the mic.
You, sir have good taste in acoustics. And mics.

And for the thread I'll throw in the cheap and cheerful EV 635a, which is dark yet sweet on an acoustic.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
In my own lap, I find them pretty uninteresting. But recording other people's Taylors, I've had a few pleasant surprises.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Head
You may find the tone you're looking for by moving the mic around. It's been a minute for me, but I think I remember micing a guitar behind the bridge and getting a much warmer, woodier sound than they typical 12th fret position. It worked for the song.

If that's not cutting it for you, I'm always surprised at how good a SM57 sounds on acoustic. Sure, you'll need a lot of gain from your preamp (at least the way I play) but it sounds great to my ears.
Old 26th March 2019
eb7
Lives for gear

Already some good advice here, so I'll just add that the pick can make a surprisingly big difference (if you're playing with a pick, of course). I have a couple of dozen options here, but anytime I'm looking for a darker, mellower tone I choose the D'Andrea Pro Plek.
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqu4d View Post
...If that's not cutting it for you, I'm always surprised at how good a SM57 sounds on acoustic. Sure, you'll need a lot of gain from your preamp (at least the way I play) but it sounds great to my ears.
Thanks for that bump! I need to remember to try that.

add. Then that leads to 'how about Audix's I5 aka "57 rev II'. Hmm.. :>)
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Maniac

A very useable ribbon mic for a good price is the SE Voodoo. They make actice and passive models I think. Pretty sure there are some acoustic guitar YouTube demos of them.
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

A Coles 4038 a foot away on an acoustic is a lovely thing.
Old 27th March 2019
Quote:

I have this issue. Love my "darker" Taylor 510, but only when playing. Not a fan recording with it on U87 or KM184 (through BAE DMP, WA2A, 6176)

I was wondering if getting a Gibson would be more interesting in that regard. Not a fan of Martins. Have no experience with Yamaha's or Alvarez (can you tell me some model numbers)

Had a Sigma Martin from the 90's that was OK. Got 1 or 2 out of 20 recordings right with it (only Open tuned and with slide, never chord or finger styled, which admittedly could be my poor micing techniques then or how I played)

I LOVE how mahogany sounds, and sometimes how an Adirondack top sounds.

Much appreciated!
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Guru
Cheaper option Oktava 319 if you want a LDC.....
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb7 View Post
Already some good advice here, so I'll just add that the pick can make a surprisingly big difference (if you're playing with a pick, of course). I have a couple of dozen options here, but anytime I'm looking for a darker, mellower tone I choose the D'Andrea Pro Plek.
Interesting, I'll have to try that one out.

Someone on the boards one time suggested Clayton Acetal Rounded Triangle picks, and I'm glad I picked up a bag of those. Tames down that annoying plastic'y click'y'ness, and I like the feel of the big pick, but any of the shapes would be similar.

To the OP: not sure the price range you are looking for, but I was quite happy with my 3U Audio mics for this exact use, flatter-response/less-hyped-high mics for acoustic guitar. I like the Warbler MK1D and Warbler MK4D for LDC's, and the Warbler 127 SDC's with cardioid-flat heads. All sound good on acoustic guitar, none are bright but are still detailed and sound nice, and they all have transformers in them. $250-$370 shipped, so very affordable for what you're getting. I have a U67 clone that sounds even better than any of them, but it was $2,500+ so you'd expect that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
the thing with mics like a u67 or the coles....they make it almost too easy.

if you have a nice sounding acoustic and a good player...in a nice room....just put one of those mics close to the acoustic guitar...put it into a decent preamp...maybe a bit of light compression...and boom, you sound like the best engineer ever.

i can't tell you how many times folks have commented on acoustic sounds i've gotten on records, asking my tricks.

the answer: a good guitar, a good player, a good part...put a good mic close to the guitar. don't forget to press record.
Have you experimented with both mics on the guitar at once? Thoughts? Also where do you typically aim the mics? Did some experimenting with both the 67 and Coles today and found a few things...

The guitar's sweet spots seem to be the lower bout on the bridge side, and the upper bout on the neck side...the 67 worked really well on the lower bout/bridge, as it's a brighter mic that picks up a lot of lows at well....the Coles in this position was too dark...but it was perfectly balanced on the upper bout, whereas the 67 felt too bright on that area...

Additionally, I tried the Coles coming from the neck side (so placed around the 12th fret pointing at where the neck meets the body/upper bout) and also from the other side, so about a foot away, facing the upper bout/where the neck meets the body but from over the soundhole side...for a single mic, the Coles in that second position (over the soundhole side) was my favorite...

For both mics, the 67 on the lower bout/bridge and the Coles around the 12th fret facing the upper bout, and then panned sounded amazing as well - made sure they were equidistant from the sound hole and at about a 90 degree angle to get them as phase coherent as possible.

Anyway, wondering your experience recording acoustic with these 2 mics, as this was my first experiment with them. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Aside from a ribbon like an AEA, one of my favorite darker/flatter sounding mics for guitar is the Neumann TLM 193. The capsule size is kind of in between large and small cap, so you can get in a little closer without it getting too boomy. A nice mid range that’s not anywhere near as annoying to me as a U87, but still gives a nice Neumann character.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Hi Jarrod -

I'm assuming that the acoustic guitar you want to record is your own? And you can't just go for a different model of guitar? I'm also assuming that you don't want to spend several thousands of dollars on a mic - which is something I would actually suggest if you are wacko serious about recording [once you have your dream guitar purchase behind you].

A number of players will target different types, brands, or gauges of strings for recording darker tones. A few will even smooth round wound strings down a bit with sand paper. Some will use a different pick and/or adjust their playing technique. I've also known guys who became luthiers in their pursuit of tone, and modified the construction of their axes.

I don't believe there is a 'best mic' for accomplishing your goal in the abstract. It will depend on your personal tastes, your specific instrument, your playing techniques, your location [recording space], etc. Of course, there are [for me, large] differences between what you can get from a $700 mic vs. a $7000 mic.

When going for more darker tones on a given guitar, personally, I use strings appropriate to the goal, adjust my playing style, select a suitable room-location/environment and consider mic placement options. Of the mic's I own, I would likely favor the AEA A440. But I can think of several high-end LDC mics that would help achieve that goal as well. Under the right conditions I might still employ one of my Schoeps CCM5 SDC mics, which are intrinsically pretty bright [and not being recommended here to you]. The problem would be [for me] that I wouldn't likely just be going after more darker tones, but 'a sound' that includes more darker tones. . .which leads to more complex considerations.

Microphone manufacturers like AEA, Neumann and Telefunken also have numerous resources and recordings that I found helpful.

Best wishes,

Ray H.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search