The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing ITB down to 2-track analog?
Old 10th March 2004
Gear Maniac

Mixing ITB down to 2-track analog?

Did a search and didn't find much on this.

Is anyone mixing in the box and then out to 2-track 1/4" or 1/2"?

With a good 2 channel D-to-A, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of this setup, assuming it's going to a mastering house.

Also, what can anyone tell me about the sound and reliability of the Otari MX-5050? Cheap and good.....or cheap and cheap?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th March 2004
Re: Mixing ITB down to 2-track analog?

Quote:
Originally posted by RinnyTin
Did a search and didn't find much on this.

Is anyone mixing in the box and then out to 2-track 1/4" or 1/2"?

With a good 2 channel D-to-A, I'm wondering about the pros/cons of this setup, assuming it's going to a mastering house.

Also, what can anyone tell me about the sound and reliability of the Otari MX-5050? Cheap and good.....or cheap and cheap?

Thanks in advance.
Thing to learn is that you can't hit the anlog 2 track like a CD.

This is big deal...trust me!!grudge

Definitely pull back on those mixbuss levels.

The Otari MX5050 isa piece of rubbery sounding trash.

If you are going to go analog rent something worth while like an Ampex or a Studer.
Old 11th March 2004
Lives for gear

Where are you located? If you decide to venture out to New Orleans I could do it for you. I have an Ampex AG440 1/4".
Old 27th March 2004
Gear Maniac

Thrill thanks for the 2 cents.
Old 28th March 2004
Lives for gear

If you're not using outboard to mix, you might do a lot better using a HEDD and staying digital. In my experiments, tracking to analog is really where it's at, mixing from digital to analog, is nowhere as sure-fire. Little tiny digital artifacts grow a whole lot of harmonic generation, and that's not really what you want I don't think...

Might be worth it with the right material and a really killer analog mixdown deck.
Old 28th March 2004
Gear Nut

Here is what I have been doing lately...

recording... input --> G5 thru Motu HD192 --> Cubase SX 2.0
mixing... 24 outs thru 2 Motu HD192's --> console -->
1/4 stereo ampex ag440

works pretty good for the stuff I do, mainly rock and blues.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Head

Funny, this is a trick I also thought of. To output via busses to 2 tracks drums, 2 tracks guitars, 1 track bassguitar, and two tracks vocals, or something like that. So, I'd need an 8, or maybe 16 track tapemachine. My belief is/was that the drums would sound much more punchy, and the guitars thicker. I suppose that it wouldn't benefit the vocals that much.

But now I'm reading this thread, I suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to spend a lot of money on a 8/16 track tapemachine.

Though, buying a 2 track mastermachine (like a Studer or Telefunken M15) will be cool anyway.

It's time for me to experiment with audiocassette.....
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Recently completed mixing/mastering a few songs on an artist I'm producung.
Some mixes were done through an SSL and mixed to 1" tape and some totally ITB.
The first day of mastering at sterling the artist insisted that the ITB mixes hit 1" tape. Our second mastering session the ME actually preferred 3 out of the 4 ITB boxes and felt no need to hit tape. Other than the apparent tape hiss there was no appreciable difference or advantage going to tape.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Hitting tape

However, going from the box to tape (and with the right 2 buss compressor) let's you hit the tape to get a bit of that tape saturation sound. Nice to take the edge off.

I think the bigger problem is "ITB" has width and depth problems due to summing, so while the tape may give you a nive feel, it won't open up the mix as if mixed through a console or a summming device.

Also, I'm exploring DSD, which is now affordable with the new Tascam, review say it has a nice analogue sound to it. No harddrive, like the Masterlink, but think of each disc like a reel of tape.

-a
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

You have to watch crosstack on analog machine a 1/2" will be less than a 1/4" machine. Plus noise is also a factor so 2 channels of SR may be needed also.
So noise (reduce detail) and crosstalk (colapse your image) are you enemies. I have found mixing down to analog is great for a song that lots of keyboards and samples a rock band or some other acoustic instument style of music will yeild very different results in analog some will work some will not.
YMMV
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Last album project (here) was tracked to PTHD, mixed (analog) back into PT session @ 24/48. At mastering, we took the the stereo mix out of PT (via Lavry DACs) and hit an ATR102/GP9 HARD, off repro heads through the rest of the analog chain, and finally into Sadie @16/44.1. Tape worked well for that one. Too much BS (IMHO) to actually mix to the ATR... I'd rather try DSD.

YMMV
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
If you are going to go analog rent something worth while like an Ampex or a Studer.

studer a series, god of hifi.

might as well buy one, they can be had for well under a grand these days. then you can track your vocals and other overdubs thru it.

gregoire
del ubik

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search