The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SDC for Snare Top
Old 22nd March 2019
SDC for Snare Top

Hello fellow forumites. I haven't posted in quite some time. It's good to be back!

Lately I've been a huge fan of small diaphragm condensors on snare top taped to a 57. In my studio I've had great luck with the SM81, and at my house gig the KSM137. I haven't had the chance to a/b them but I can tell they're very different.

I'm looking for a sdc to live on my studio kit's snare. What are you guys using?
Old 22nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Akg 460b. I like them more overall then the 451s that people often use for snare tops. Or if you have a lot in the budget a km84.
Old 22nd March 2019
Josephson e22s. Great mic and company. And it takes a hit from the stick too.
Old 22nd March 2019
Lewitt LCT-140 sounds really great on snare. I have a pair and I think they are awesome. Too bad Lewitt decided to discontinue them.
Those Shure KSM mics are great, I've been lusting for a KSM 141 for a while.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Maniac

It doesn't always work, but I've had good experiences with the SE RN17. The main thing that tends to count against it is that it's often too hyper-detailed-sounding. (They're pretty much always amazing as overheads though)

The Josephson e22 is a great snare (and general drum) mic!

Nothing wrong with the trusty 451 either - while it's not the exciting/glamorous choice, paired with a 57 it gets the job done.
Old 22nd March 2019
Gear Nut
DPA 2011c
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPonyHead View Post
It doesn't always work, but I've had good experiences with the SE RN17. The main thing that tends to count against it is that it's often too hyper-detailed-sounding. (They're pretty much always amazing as overheads though)

Recently picked up a pair of RN17s and just tried them on my kit and they sound ridiculous. The snare sounds incredible through them.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

I‘ve had good results with a Neumann KMS105. On its own.
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Addict

km 184/451b
Old 23rd April 2019
Beyerdynamic MC930 with the pad in is nice!
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Anyone tried the Oktava sdcs on snare?
Old 23rd April 2019
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Sterling ST-31.
I bought one on your recommendation. Very nice. Just wondering, how close is the new one? The ST 131? Usually when they improve things, it's not better!
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasanything View Post
I have and liked the results. It was more of a brushy type thing than a hard-hitting rock track. But it captured the nuance of the snare nicely.
Old 23rd April 2019
Condensers I use on snare:
DPA 4099
KSM137
DPA 4006A (with 40mm sphere. Best snare sound but you must be good at balancing the hi hat bleed well through playing).

Also own the e22s but don't like its bleed when used around the kit.

Also use dynamics: M201TG and TFunk M80, and AEA R84 a bit further away next to the hi hats if there's room.

Sample of the 4099 on snare below:
Attached Files

NC5_Sample_auralendeavors.com.mp3 (2.69 MB, 813 views)

Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Plus 1
Old 23rd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Have you had one take a hit? Just wonderin'
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've thought about it but I worry one good whack and . The Oktava mk-012 isn't exactly built like a tank.
Old 23rd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Have you had one take a hit? Just wonderin'
On snare quite a few times. No problems. I’m guessing if they had received that level of abuse year after year there may have been an issue but I closed my recording studio a long time ago.
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hm. I regularly use the MK012 on bottom snare with the Sennheiser MD 441 on top. But I tuck the 012 down the mix quite a bit, but I like it.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
I bought one on your recommendation. Very nice. Just wondering, how close is the new one? The ST 131? Usually when they improve things, it's not better!
I did too and I swapped out the electro’s with Panasonic FM’s and bypassed them with WIMA’s. Still need to put in the new JFET. I’ve been running a modded MXL R144 on top and the Sterling on bottom. I blend them in the box and send both to the same channel on my console where they get some compression and EQ. With a little tweaking of the tuning or swapping of snares I can get whatever snare sound I want. I have 3 snares. A Pearl Mahagony, a Ludwig Acrolite, and a Pearl Steel.
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Addict

Josephson E22s is my first choice. I have a KM84 that I use sometimes as well. Or I might use the Neumann on the bottom... I'm not too worried about it getting hit, but hey, you never know.
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropete View Post
Josephson E22s is my first choice. I have a KM84 that I use sometimes as well. Or I might use the Neumann on the bottom... I'm not too worried about it getting hit, but hey, you never know.
In the taped pair (on snare top) I always put the condenser UNDER the 57, these little tanks can take a hit and protect their more expensive friend....
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Audio Technica ATM 450 is pretty good for snare (and toms). It's side address and small so easy to place.

Tony
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, 012 with the pad screwed in and positioned right over the rim of the snare pointing straight down. Sounds great and keeps them out of the way of a stray stick hit.
Old 26th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
In the taped pair (on snare top) I always put the condenser UNDER the 57, these little tanks can take a hit and protect their more expensive friend....
Great idea!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear