The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Click on monitor, not on main mix
Old 22nd March 2019
Here for the gear

Click on monitor, not on main mix

My band records every rehearsal with a Zoom H4N. The L/R signal comes from a small mixer. The same L/R signal is fed into a headphone preamp which provides the five band members their headphone signal.

We'd like to rehearse with a click which all of us can hear, but we don't want the click to be recorded. So we need two separate L/R outputs, one with click and one without click.

I was thinking of buying a Soundcraft EFX-8 and feed the click into the '2-track in'. The EFX-8 has a '2-track to mix' button and a separate '2-track monitor' button. Would that do the trick?

Reading the EFX-8 manual suggest that the '2-track to mix' button actually mixes the 2-track with the main mix, but the '2-track monitor' button over-rides the monitor signal with the 2-track signal. So that's not what I'm looking for, right?

Any (other) ideas how to do this?
Old 22nd March 2019
Deleted c0657d7
I think that with "2 track monitor" selected, only the 2-track signal (=click) will be heard through the monitor outputs; the musicians wouldn't hear themselves playing (the mix).

If you , and the other musicians do not require stereo monitoring, you could use the aux to create a monitor balance, including click, through the aux out fof the musicians, while the clean stereo mix is recorded thtough the main/mix outputs.

Another way is to use your current small mixer together with a second mixer (whether the soundcraft or any small mixer).
You'd just have to place the second mixer before the headphone preamp and input the click signal on a channel of that second mixer.
This way the recorded mix (from the first mixer) won't have the click in it, while the musicians get the click, together with their mix, from the second mixer.

There are many different solutions, but these two are the possibilities with the options that you're contemplating.

Hope this helps.

Success.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search