The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
XY Stereo Mic for crowd sound
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Maniac

XY Stereo Mic for crowd sound

Looking for suggestions on a cheap (under $400) XY stereo type mic that I can use in a live venue to get ambient crowd noise during comedy shows. I was looking at the Rode NT 4, which seems like a solid choice, but I'm just looking for something in the $200-$400 range ideally. Any suggestions?
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Guru

On the super inexpensive route the 12 Gauge Black goes for $80.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Maniac

is that thing any good? it doesnt have to be amazing, but i want to get some crowd noise to mix into live recordings.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Guru

iSK Pearl's .. 29.00 each ... so if they get beat up too much just have a couple spares !!
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMUSIC View Post
Looking for suggestions on a cheap (under $400) XY stereo type mic that I can use in a live venue to get ambient crowd noise during comedy shows. I was looking at the Rode NT 4, which seems like a solid choice, but I'm just looking for something in the $200-$400 range ideally. Any suggestions?
Why XY? Just use an omni to get crowd noise for ambience.
Put it farther back in the room. Mix to taste after you have everything recorded.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe sixpak View Post
Why XY? Just use an omni to get crowd noise for ambience.
Put it farther back in the room. Mix to taste after you have everything recorded.
I suppose that could work as well - but as of now i dont have a stereo XY or an omni, so I might as well just go with the XY since I'm making a purchase anyway.

Anyone have any experience with the AT8022?
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I suppose that could work as well - but as of now i dont have a stereo XY or an omni, so I might as well just go with the XY since I'm making a purchase anyway.

Anyone have any experience with the AT8022?
yeah, a friend has one .. whenever he would pull it out and want to use it .. we would all make that faxce .. and he would put it back in the box .. sometimes we might even listen to it.. but then it goes back in the box .. never felt any magic from it ..

Shure VP88 is another stereo mic .. we used one of these for Rock Shows for recording for a bit .. had to cover it in plastic - Beer !!

here is one thing .. XY you will need to place Center Stage / or Hang over the audience to help with rejection of the PA ...

you could also just place a couple shotguns just inside the PA .. 416's work really well in this situation .. obvisouly not XY, just one per side ..

and why not MONO !! you can put up a mono mic too !!!

or think M/S and have Mono and Stereo available for Mix !!!

if you mix in 5.1 you would love the separation of the audience in stereo - really localizes Laughs and Hecklers !! .. put a couple mics at the back wall facing forward .. that adds some cool depth .. this is for 5.1 / surround as well .. for the Rears ..
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

XY is used to help avoid noise from the back isnt it ?
and you would have to be too close to the source for good stereo for it to pick up much from the back anyway in any normal venue

try a double xy or blumlein if you want to do that

or get a cheap omni

the ambience sound is not that critical that you need an expensive mike
Old 20th March 2019
XY is not a practical setup for audience reactions, a spaced omni setup is much better. You can never find the right spot for the xy mic, you’ll have to be in the middle of crowd blocking everyone’s vieuw, or you’ll have to fly it, and xy has narrow stereo image anyway. Since the main source is mono I would like a nice broad audience reaction. Spaced omni’s at the back of the venue or to the side of the stage provide just that.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

I’ve been doing a bunch of comedy recording over the last couple of years. My preference for audience mics is spaced pair of shotgun or hyper cardioid mics. Put them on either side of the stage looking across the audience towards the opposite corner at the back of the room. It’s important to get them behind the PA speakers. You’re going to have PA bleed but you’re looking for as little as possible.
An omni out in the room ends up giving you way too much room sound on the voice. When you get the audience reaction dialed in where you want it the voice sounds crappy and distant.
More than one pair of audience mics can be great but if you can only have one pair go with 2 mics instead of an xy.

The 12 gauge black is ok. Not amazing (but it is $80) but usable. Be warned that it’s not balanced so long cable runs can be a problem. It’s also a touch too noisy for this application.
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
is that thing any good? it doesnt have to be amazing, but i want to get some crowd noise to mix into live recordings.
Its decent. Worth $80 for simplicity. I'd put it on a short stand on the center of the stage pointing out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search