The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacement Ear Pads for Sony MDR 7520
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

Replacement Ear Pads for Sony MDR 7520

Hi all! So I just received the Sony MDR 7520. I must say what an upgrade over the V6 that I had! I loved my V6, but after over 20 years wanted to try something new. So glad that I did! The 7520 sound so much better! The 7520 are bigger that the V6, so after wearing the 7520 for about 2 hours they were starting to get a little uncomfortable.

I was hoping for some advice on getting new- more comfortable ear pads that do not change the sound that much. I do like the V6 pads, but I think they won't fit the 7520. (Yes, I know they do flake and fall apart, but the V6 ones that I had never got replaced, -they were flaking, but not enough for me to replace.)

I've also read that the Beyerdynamic EDT 250V Velour Pads are great. Has anyone used these pads?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, how would I go about changing the earpads and putting the new ones on the 7520. I've never changed earpads before. Are there any videos or instructions on how to change the pads on the 7520? I've searched the web and all that comes up is the 7505 videos.

Thanks!
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Guru

I replaced the pads on one of my old Sennheiser HD 280's. The old ones were very worn and it felt like I was getting a new pair of headphones. One of my clients thought I did.

But these pads were specifically made for the 280's. Plus it was actually kind of tricky to do, I had to watch a YouTube where they explained how to put them on. Without that video, I know I would have ripped them to shreds, for sure. The video was made by Sennheiser specifically to tell you how to put on their own designated replacement pads.

Quote:
I've also read that the Beyerdynamic EDT 250V Velour Pads are great. Has anyone used these pads?
I think if you want to take the pads off of one model of headphones and put them on another you are basically "hacking". Maybe you can do it, but you are likely to be 'on your own'. It's no wonder "instructions" on how to do it are hard to come by.

I once put some leather 'fits-all' type pads on a pair of Grados that I owned and it totally changed the sound. It was more comfortable, but I had to go back. Frankly, I think that if it was "that simple" to swap out the pads, then the headphone ratings charts that you see on the web would not have such a prominent "comfort" category.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

I bought new ear pads for my HD280's and the vinyl shredded away in 6 months. I would from now on only buy genuine ear pads as the aftermarket seems to be junk.
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
I bought new ear pads for my HD280's and the vinyl shredded away in 6 months. I would from now on only buy genuine ear pads as the aftermarket seems to be junk.
Yes, I plan to stay far away from the aftermarket. I tried going cheap on a piece of photo gear and I ended up returning it. You get what you pay for. I'll pay more for the quality and knowing it's genuine.

I came across these from B&H. I'm in the USA. I know that they are made for the 7506, but wonder if they will stretch to fit the 7520. Anyone know if these will work?

Auray Deluxe Velour Earpads (Pair) EPD-MDR7506 B&H Photo Video
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrant View Post
Yes, I plan to stay far away from the aftermarket. I tried going cheap on a piece of photo gear and I ended up returning it. You get what you pay for. I'll pay more for the quality and knowing it's genuine.

I came across these from B&H. I'm in the USA. I know that they are made for the 7506, but wonder if they will stretch to fit the 7520. Anyone know if these will work?
Auray Deluxe Velour Earpads (Pair) EPD-MDR7506 B&H Photo Video
Auray is not Sony. Therefore, they are the very definition of an Aftermarket product. They are made to fit multiple models of headphones. Including Sony, but also Senai.

this page also says this pair fits the V6
you said "The 7520 are bigger that the V6"
So, probably no - but you have both pairs there if you are inclined to some destructive experimentation.

Besides it seems highly unlikely that Auray would make aftermarket pads and then "forget" to list other models that it would fit. My guess it that the more 'universal' they are, the more of a compromise they would be on any specific model. A company like Sony might offer replacement pads, but they probably don't offer "alternative" pads.

Why not just build them with better pads in the first place? Or offer that as an option - "the 7520b with extra padding". I think it's because the pads and the sound are intertwined.

What happens if you change the pads and then you don't like how they sound anymore? IMO, it is best to consider the phones and their pads and everything to be a 'system' and evaluate your headphone purchases accordingly.
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

Yea, I know Auray is an aftermarket brand and that it contradicted what I said. Just wanted to see if they are any good. I'll keep what I have, not worth it to me to hack the pads. These headphones are too good. I have a feeling they will get comfortable the more I wear them. I'm just used to the V6.
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

I've had good results with the Beyer 250/280 pads on Sony MDR7506 cans. It did change the sound a bit (less upper mid harshness, which was a good thing in this particular case), but they are much more comfortable.

Having said that, you're taking a chance on fit and resulting sound quality if you use anything other than the "correct" Sony replacement pads.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search