The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 990PRO - quality/material changed?!
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear
Beyerdynamic DT 990PRO - quality/material changed?!

Hey there guys,

I have the following issue: For the past 12 years or so, I've used an DT990PRO headphone for headphone-checking my mixes. I know, not the best one, but I am pretty damn used to its sound over the time.

Now: I had a band here from a quite remote part of the earth and he needed some alright headphones so I gave him mine and ordered some new ones.

So first thing: They dropped in price quite a lot: They sell at 122€ - i bought the old one 12 years ago for around 170€ on sale. Also: the material seems different than the older batches, less matte, a bit more shiny and... cheap looking if you ask me. But who cares, maybe mine looked the same back in the days Also the size adjustment-thing doesnt go as smooth as with my others.

But most irritating: They sound quite different! The new ones seem to have more hyped highs at around 12khz that I am NOT used to. Of course, the DT990 are rather bright headphones in general, but this is more than I am used to. And yes, same 250Ohms Version.

Did anybody else realize a quality change in newer batches of DT770 or DT990 since the price drop? Or is this behaviour normal when headphones gets older and caused by material-fatigue or something?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search