The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TR-8S right channel louder
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

TR-8S right channel louder

Good morning,

I recently purchased a TR-8S and have hooked it up in my studio. I'm very happy with what this instrument is capable of, but I'm experiencing some odd behaviour that I wanted to bounce off of others for guidance/feedback.

The TR-8S right channel is reading 5-6db louder than the left channel in Ableton Live 10 Suite (Windows 10). It doesn't sound louder through my monitors (definitely not 5-6db louder), but the audio track meter in Live that I've got the TR-8S right channel coming into shows louder.

Initially I had the TR-8S left and right channels going into my Behringer ADA8200 (which is connected to patch bays). I thought that perhaps the Behringer gain knobs on the ADA8200 had a calibration issue (perhaps the pots were at different trim values), but I experienced the same outcome when I bypassed the ADA8200 and went straight into my Focusrite Clarett 4Pre with different 1/4" TRS cables. So I've eliminated the issue being the ADA8200, patch bays, and patch cables. I've also tried with BOOST mode both on and off, have tried different drum kits, and have reset the device to factory default.

If anyone has any light they can shed on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 20th March 2019
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxxD View Post
Good morning,

The TR-8S right channel is reading 5-6db louder than the left channel in Ableton !

I'm too tired to fully decipher the explanation you've given about your cabling, but a 6dB difference is usually (always) due to one line being balanced, and the other unbalanced.

I can see you've tried completely different cables, but try swapping them on the end of the TR, then on the end of the input, to see if it follow the cable, the input, o the TR8.

Gustav
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
I'm too tired to fully decipher the explanation you've given about your cabling, but a 6dB difference is usually (always) due to one line being balanced, and the other unbalanced.

I can see you've tried completely different cables, but try swapping them on the end of the TR, then on the end of the input, to see if it follow the cable, the input, o the TR8.

Gustav
Gustav,

Thank you so much for your quick reply and assistance! Although I'm 99% sure my cables are all TRS/balanced, it's always possible I may have overlooked a few of them. I will most definitely check tonight and let you know my findings. I really appreciate your time, thank you!

P.S. I tried to send you a private message first to avoid cluttering this thread (trying to only make sure I'm posting relevant info for everyone else), but it appears you've disabled accepting private messages.

Cheers,
Jay
Old 21st March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post

Gustav
Hi Gustav,

All of my cables are balanced, and it turns out that it was indeed an instrument panning issue. I didn't expect the factory default panning to be so extreme and have more of the louder instruments heavily on one channel with some added gain on them as well. I appreciate your assistance and suggestions, and have a great day!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search