The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL SiX small format mixer???
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

SSL SiX small format mixer???

Sooo... Mr. Internet knows next to nothing about her aside from this pic of the yet-to-be-released next month's copy of SOS mag. Anybody here got any info?

Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Oh my! I think this was made for me!

I wonder how that G-Compressor sounds compared to the new one that I still haven't opened?!
Old 19th March 2019
Administrator

Tomorrow
Old 20th March 2019
Solid State Logic

You’ll just have to wait a few hours until your subscription copies of Sound on Sound to arrive to find out more...
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

YouTube has a heap on the SIX.. I am differently getting this, for my sigma 2 bus mix down. Couldnt come at the best time. Just hope it's not priced above my funds :(
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut

YouTube
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Wow! Looking forward to read more about it
I like its slanted shape.

Michal
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear
Anyone who have something more to tell, except from the YouTube videos?

Edit: Nevermind SiX | Solid State Logic

Last edited by JJRockford; 20th March 2019 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Google it :)
Old 20th March 2019
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmnoise View Post
Thank you for the link! It has to be completely fresh publication, I've Googled for that an hour ago with no results.

All info is there with manual and MSRP in their official press release.

Quote:
SSL SiX is available now priced: £999 +VAT, $1499+Tax, €1199 +Tax.
Michal
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Wish list rearranged I thought it would be pricier due to two full (well not full) channel strips.

What’s the fixed ratio of the channel compressor? What are the ranges of the two eq bands? And if the insert send is post-comp/eq, then how can you get a truly dry signal out of it? By bypassing the comp/eq? What are the fixed ratio, attack, and release settings for the bus comp?

Edit: looking at the manual now; disregard.
Old 20th March 2019
Administrator

Seen as the info is available now on SSL AND resellers etc here is the new official thread for anyone interested:
Solid State Logic announce the launch of SiX - The Ultimate Desktop Mixer
Old 20th March 2019
What a nice looking little mixer! I'd love to get my hands on one.
Old 20th March 2019
I just wish SSl would offer their VHD mic pre's instead of their standard pre in this and the Nucleus. Their added character is really nice.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear
SSL constantly coming out with interesting stuff.

I kinda wish I needed one of these haha
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

That's really an amazing product for $1500, it's essentially the same as something like the first generation 4 channel API Box. Granted this SSL only has 2 preamp channels, but there's EQ on both channels as well as a compressor. You have 16 channels of summing with inserts and a master buss compressor. On paper, it's ticking the same boxes. Unfortunately, I feel like they shifted a little too far over to the "function over form" side of things as it just looks like a cheap Behringer mixer. They could have put a "little" more effort into making it look cool.

Old 20th March 2019
Solid State Logic

Make those images to scale and then make the comparison
Old 20th March 2019
if I were to quote myself.."holy fuvking balls" ..sweet!
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

lol it has the same bus compressor they charge 4.5 grand for by itself - how does that make ANY sense?
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Sweetwater video about SiX..

Old 20th March 2019
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
lol it has the same bus compressor they charge 4.5 grand for by itself - how does that make ANY sense?
Fixed parameters, no chassis, no PSU, different VCA chips.
Circuit design is the same, some components differ.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
Agreed. For all of these components combined, this price point is questionable.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut

Vintage King SSL SiX Demo Videos

Hey everyone, we've been super excited about the SiX since we got one a few weeks ago to do some demo videos with.

Learn more about the SiX, watch all three demo videos and order one from VK by clicking here.
Old 20th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
Agreed. For all of these components combined, this price point is questionable.
My take: it’s the price they ask for their bus comp that’s questionable when you look at other similar vca compressors on the market.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Even with less channels, you'd think that the added EQ and compression would put this in the same price range as the X-Desk. Why is this so much cheaper? Is the SuperAnalog circuitry all throughout or just on the mono inputs?
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Guru
Great price! The other use seems to be summing box? Yikes! They'll sell a ton of these......
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even with less channels, you'd think that the added EQ and compression would put this in the same price range as the X-Desk. Why is this so much cheaper? Is the SuperAnalog circuitry all throughout or just on the mono inputs?
Yeah, I mean just by headcount you've got two mic pres, four bands of EQ, and four compressors (one of them stereo). I'm with you in wondering how they got it down to that price point because I can't think of any other way to get that much SSL signal processing at that sort of price. I mean, not even in the cheap knockoff market lol.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Make those images to scale and then make the comparison
Aesthetics aside, it looks like a great product!
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Yeah, I mean just by headcount you've got two mic pres, four bands of EQ, and four compressors (one of them stereo). I'm with you in wondering how they got it down to that price point because I can't think of any other way to get that much SSL signal processing at that sort of price. I mean, not even in the cheap knockoff market lol.
I'm looking to use it to mix a simple low-track rap album:

Lead Vocal
Bass
Drum Stem
Instrument (Sample) Stem

My outboard is top-notch, and I love the idea of inserting my other hardware compressors during the mix.

I wanted an SSL so this is almost perfect for me.

The only caveat is that the summing needs to be at least on par with the X-Desk. I guess we'll see what the review says tomorrow.
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm looking to use it to mix a simple low-track rap album:

Lead Vocal
Bass
Drum Stem
Instrument (Sample) Stem

My outboard is top-notch, and I love the idea of inserting my other hardware compressors during the mix.

I wanted an SSL so this is almost perfect for me.

The only caveat is that the summing needs to be at least on par with the X-Desk. I guess we'll see what the review says tomorrow.
I'm low track count hip hop as well, but I'd mostly be using the SiX for tracking and monitoring my hardware synths and samplers into my DAW, and processing DAW tracks through my samplers and outboard. I don't really have enough outboard (just a DRS-Q4mk2 and a racked pair of SS110s) right now to make analog mixing worth it; I use Acustica plugins for mixing.

I could also make use of it live as a keyboard submixer, though the Mackie 820 it would replace has a sweepable mid EQ, and that's super handy in that context. I like the idea of a one-knob compressor though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search