The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL SiX small format mixer???
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by obdt View Post
They sound lovely. The channel comp is more felixible than you think. The attack time is program dependant and the comp sits after the eq. So it feels as if the eq has a big effect on what the comp does. It can be nice and snappy when you want it to be.

The bus comp is every bit as good as you’d expect. Created a nice bounce when I ran drums through it.

The eq is really nice too. Pushing the high freq shelf adds something I’ve never heard before ITB.

The whole thing really is lovely. It weighs a ton too!
This is good stuff to read. I’m pretty excited to get mine.

Fedex has it en route.

I run my Boomstars and SP-16 into the tube stage of my 4-710d. It’s really a gorgeous thing when compared with straight into the SSL Alpha Link or Apogee AD16X.

I was thinking of switching it up when this board arrives and put my Octatrack on the tubes and the Booms on the siX.

Then the mix out of the DAW to hit the bus comp before my monitors. I use a QSC K series in my studio to hear the rough idea of what a typical bar venue small event space will get. These and some Avantones.
Old 29th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKtotalitarians View Post
That’s true.

But let’s say you have a gorgeous analog synth collection and you bring 2 of them live with a couple of singers and a drum machine. Like a Moog Sub37, an OB-6 and Tempest.

Or you’re a DJ with a RYTM, SP-16, Minitaur and Lancet.

There are reasons why you may want to stay all analog. There are cheaper boards like Soundcraft, Mackie and Yamaha but are they SSL? Nope.

This little board has a lot to offer. Imagine just fanning out your SP-16 through. Or Tempest. Or RYTM. I haven’t thought about it in detail, but it seems you you could use the two channel comps, eq and glue it all together and also track most of this.

There are just so many possibilities with this thing. That’s why I bought one. It’s why I bought a UA 4-710d. And my Octatrack. Some devices have certain limitations but also, oddly, so many possibilities. I think the siX is in this category.

Just my gut opinion. Not trying to say anyone’s criticism is wrong.
From a production point of view, I’d also like to add how usuable the channel strips are for recording. Rather than just sampling straight into your OT, you can use the SiX to shape the sound on the way in.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
That’s true.

But let’s say you have a gorgeous analog synth collection and you bring 2 of them live with a couple of singers and a drum machine. Like a Moog Sub37, an OB-6 and Tempest.

Or you’re a DJ with a RYTM, SP-16, Minitaur and Lancet.

There are reasons why you may want to stay all analog. There are cheaper boards like Soundcraft, Mackie and Yamaha but are they SSL? Nope.

This little board has a lot to offer. Imagine just fanning out your SP-16 through. Or Tempest. Or RYTM. I haven’t thought about it in detail, but it seems you you could use the two channel comps, eq and glue it all together and also track most of this.

There are just so many possibilities with this thing. That’s why I bought one. It’s why I bought a UA 4-710d. And my Octatrack. Some devices have certain limitations but also, oddly, so many possibilities. I think the siX is in this category.

Just my gut opinion. Not trying to say anyone’s criticism is wrong.
The minute all that glorious analog leaves the mixer and enters front of house territory, you wouldn’t hear a difference. A bar or pub or coffee shop isn’t exactly a critical listening environment.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
The minute all that glorious analog leaves the mixer and enters front of house territory, you wouldn’t hear a difference. A bar or pub or coffee shop isn’t exactly a critical listening environment.
That depends on the person and the gear sitting at the front of the house. Not to mention the 'house' itself. And there's also the show recording to consider...
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
You'd think so.

There's a venue here in LA called Kulak's Woodshed (give it a google) where they had an old Tascam FOH board that worked, and people were used to it, but it had lots of issues and bits of it were dying.

A couple months ago, when a rich-folks church I know of mothballed their mint Soundcraft Two in favor of something new, I persuaded them to let me haul it up the 405 and give it to Kulak's. The sonic difference was immediately noticeable by everyone, audience and crew and performers.

I'm not sure there's a connection, but this past Monday at the open mic, there were twice as many performers as they had time for, and about 20 people got shut out. Including me. I've never had that happen in 10 years of sporadically playing there.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear
Just trying to put things in perspective, but please, carry on with your rampant consumerism and gear lust...
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not where I work or perform. It makes a big difference.

And for electronic musicians, circuits that can be pushed, really maybe perhaps sometimes sound great. An overdriven Moog can sound very nice.

A lot smaller venues here in Brooklyn do spend some money on loudspeakers and subs. RCF, QSC and SRX.

EDIT: for example, I bring 3 MD441 when doing sound at this one venue. Peformers LOVE IT. They can definitely hear the bump up from SM48 the owner bought. Yes, 48, not 58.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

@ [email protected] ....
(or anyone else who sees this first )
So I'm trying to figure out this whole SSL pre thing.

What does one do if they want the sound of the SSL9000 pre? It seems like the X Rack is based on the Duality, which I read is not the same as a pre found on the 9000?

And how would you rate the over quality...in terms of "quickness" and transparency for things like acoustic guitar?

1 SSL 500 series

2 SSL Alpha Channel

3 SSL Six

4 SSL Rack pre?

I know that I once owned the the SuperAnalog channel and I want to get closest in sound to that, which I think was based on the 9K.
Old 29th March 2019
Solid State Logic

XR621 Mic Pre’ for X-Rack is the same as the SuperAnalogue Channel.

No “same family”, no “same circuit”, just 1 for 1 the same. If that’s what you liked then buy this.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
XR621 Mic Pre’ for X-Rack is the same as the SuperAnalogue Channel.

No “same family”, no “same circuit”, just 1 for 1 the same. If that’s what you liked then buy this.
That is GREAT to know. Thanks Jim!
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Not to whine but... would anyone else pay an extra $500-$1000 for two more of the mono channels?
Will we see an SSL EiGHT perhaps?

Other than that this seems like a nice thing to plug a sub-mixer into just for the compressor alone (if you like the fixed setting).
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Just found out about this cool mixer.. sounds like a dream come true considering price point! still trying to wrap my head around how to make most use of it as a front-end + summing mixer (for a UA Apollo). This video helps:

..but so for mixdown configuration, you need to reroute everything on the back? sounds tedious or will users be using it mostly as one or the other types of configuration?
Old 30th March 2019
wom
Here for the gear

Okay, I got the baby today! (SSL Six)

So, what is it like?
Of course you know it looks really sexy and it feels fine too.

I will just like to give you my first impressions. I still need to compare the preamps with my Pacifica, UAD 610 and some Siemens stuff.
My first impression concerning the preamps is: they do fine and seem very useful, this test was only done with a dynamic microphone, so there's still a lot to compare ... condenser mics, other preamps.

My main concern was to compare the machine with my UAD plug-ins.

I have never heard the real thing (SSL 4000, 9000 boards), but I have always been interested in every review and shoot-out of hardware devices and so I got as a good deal of information and sound experience as i could get.

All following remarks are just my humble opinion. For sure you have to get your own impressions and experience with the machine.

Is there a difference with the SSL Channel plug-ins from UAD? Oh yes, there is a big difference!

So far I have run all my test through the superanalogue (line in) channels one and two. I compared the output of the SSL Six (headphone and monitor) to my RME Fireface 400 and my UAD Twin.
As I prefer my Fireface 400 over the UAD Twin, I continue the test with the RME Fireface 400 only.

Running the audio signal from the RME into the SSL Six and comparing the SSL-out with the RME-out, it made made a difference in sound, not too obvious, but fairly noticeable. It did not give me a "wow" feeling, but I felt
a slightly nicer and more structured signal.

I started to engage the channel EQ for the stereo signal -here you go- the sun started to shine. Although I think the EQ itself is quite limited, it is possible to shape/color the sound in a beautiful way. It only has two options, bell and shelf for hig an low. The sound is beautifull, it's a kind of harsh, but it fits so beautiful in the mix. Highs can be sizzling if need or just open up the top, the bass is powerful and and keeps the lows together, I'm happy, because this is what I was looking for.
I could not tell any difference between all the SSL hardware EQ's examples I have heard before.

The next step was to engage the chancel compressor. Wow, this compressor is so simple, but makes a big difference. Very imressive, it helps so much to shape/power the signal.
No matter what sound I was sending, the channel compressor always handle it beautifully. There must be some kind of automatic setting, because it always gave a very convincing tone.
Voice, electric or acoustic guitar, electric bass or drums the channel took it all. Wunderbar!

I continue to run some stems in to the mix channel and engaged the mix channel compressor. Again, a very simple compressor, only two knobs one for threshold, the other for make up gain. Boy, this thing made a difference. I prefer it over the UAD compressor.

Being a full analogue device, you can drive the machine hard, and this is really a new experience for me. Unbelievable what a change in sound and "atmosphere" the hot signal can deliver. It just sounds so different, beautiful, powerful but still sweet.

The SSL-Six seem to produce a big amount of heat , more than any of the other mixers I have seen so far, but the temperature feels still ok to me. It doesnt have a ventilator, I am happy about that.

There's one big disadvantage, the machine made me rethink my whole setup.

But I will be strong, the little SSL devil is just enough for my needs. Of course it would be extraordinary special to have a ( let's keep it a realistic :-) ) 8 channels equipped full 4 bands EQ console with the full G master bus compressor.

It's a lovely piece of gear. I'm sure soon other manufacturers will join the idea of small footprint consoles. Let's hope to see some new models from Neve, Api and others, with a reasonable price tag.

Summary:
This machine just seems to play in a different league, compared to my plugins and interfaces. :-) Dear SSL, a lovely work done!

Have a nice weekend.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wom View Post
Okay, I got the baby today! (SSL Six)

So, what is it like?
Of course you know it looks really sexy and it feels fine too.
Can't wait to hear more personal reviews, maybe from more long-running forum users that may also run known semi or pro studios.

Of course yours is a very welcome 1st post ever on Gearslutz, thanks
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Just found out about this cool mixer.. sounds like a dream come true considering price point! still trying to wrap my head around how to make most use of it as a front-end + summing mixer (for a UA Apollo). This video helps:

..but so for mixdown configuration, you need to reroute everything on the back? sounds tedious or will users be using it mostly as one or the other types of configuration?
The answer to that is a PATCHBAY. Even though it's a mini console, you still can't escape the "PATCHBAY"! LoL
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Can't wait to hear more personal reviews, maybe from more long-running forum users that may also run known semi or pro studios.

Of course yours is a very welcome 1st post ever on Gearslutz, thanks
Cheers:

Al Leong - The new Tonka truck
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
It's a type of compromise that some will be more than willing to make in order to enjoy the type of sound quality and portability (for those who need such a thing on the go) that the SiX can provide in its price range.

I haven't messed around with a Patchbay since my days of working with an AWS, and I still work in a very hybrid sort of manner today, so personally I'm quite used to having to reroute a bunch of things that I have multiple purposes for. The SiX is going to suite my front-end and summing needs very well, not to mention that if it's not TOO HEAVY, I wouldn't hesitate to take it with me on gigs so I have a great sounding analog front-end that suites my tastes no matter where I go.
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Great job SSL

I heard this thing today and all I can say is they gave you and SSL console sound for pennies. I must admit I didn't think they was going to go all the way with it but they use professional parts and Technology and put it in this small box at 1499 unbelievable. All the negative critics can eat crow on this one
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut

Vintage King and SSL

Great job with the packaging. It’s like opening up an Apple product.

It’s heavy. It’s solid.

Anyway, I’m going to listen to these preamps.

Laters
Attached Thumbnails
SSL SiX small format mixer???-a0966772-6c05-454b-86c6-cd7fece8731f.jpg   SSL SiX small format mixer???-d8303431-341f-41aa-adfb-22ac57c8efef.jpg  
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Head

Yes all the negative commenters who have not even heard the unit--they must be geniuses! Mine arrived today and it sounds absolutely great--even better than I told myself that it would, but avoided that kind of comment till now--now that I've actually heard it.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut

Preamps are ok. My RME UFXplus preamps are better by quite a bit. My Portico 5017 kills them both.

The preamps remind me of the Mackie Onyx.

When I engaged the G bus comp they did come to life a heck of a lot more.

Anyway, that’s all I got. I need to get it installed into the patchbay, pump some tracks through it and hear what it does.
Old 31st March 2019
Quote:
Preamps are ok. My RME UFXplus preamps are better by quite a bit. My Portico 5017 kills them both.

Anyway, that’s all I got. I need to get it installed into the patchbay, pump some tracks through it and hear what it does.
hhhmmmm......
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut
Dear Santa!!!!!
Old 31st March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

would be great if you say something about the summing part.
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysava View Post
Yes all the negative commenters who have not even heard the unit--they must be geniuses! Mine arrived today and it sounds absolutely great--even better than I told myself that it would, but avoided that kind of comment till now--now that I've actually heard it.
I think they are amused by the way folks are hyping a 6 channel desktop mixer that's $1500.

SSL has an obvious winner no matter what it sounds like.

Hopefully this leads to an 8, 12, or 16.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfisch123 View Post
would be great if you say something about the summing part.
The compressors sounded good. Especially the bus comp.

The EQ sounds like an SSL EQ. I’ve always liked SSL EQ. Whereas, many EQs add sparkle or mojo, SSL sculpts or broad strokes. I especially like a hi freq shelf. It can open things up without sounding like anything has been done. It’s transparent like that. This simple, yet meaningful quality can go a long way in a mix. It’s like it brings a clarity to everything.

Can it fix the preamps? I don’t think so. They just don’t have ANY detail or sheen. I wouldn’t worry about this.
This board has way more to offer than preamps.

A) the build quality is EXCELLENT
B) it’s dead quiet. Like death itself.
C) EQ sounds great
D) channel compressors sound great
e) Bus compressor sounds great (on vocals)

I haven’t had a chance to wire it into the patch bays.

EDIT: if you don’t have nice preamps, it’s not like the SSL won’t work. And for live gigs they will be great. I just happen to have many nice preamps.
Old 31st March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the first reviews!
Who in Europe has stock?
Thomann says 2-5 days...
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Maniac

It feels so tempting to get this for the sound, compressor and eq, but I dont really know if its worth it for me when I only work with computer, DAW and hardware synths. I dont do anything with recording external instruments or vocals.
Old 31st March 2019
Lives for gear

What's the thinking behind 2x mono eq/compressors in a console? Is that enough for a compact setup? How do owners get along with that?
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
What's the thinking behind 2x mono eq/compressors in a console? Is that enough for a compact setup? How do owners get along with that?
It really, really needed to be SiX

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search