The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL SiX small format mixer???
Old 29th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So are you hearing phase issues on the Main mix as you're printing it, or when playing back what's been printed?
Playback from the DAW straight from the interface (not using the SiX in playback). I recorded this a couple months ago and am just getting around to mixing it. I'm DEFINITELY not ruling out user error, but I am trying to figure out how this happened and how to not have it happen in the future.
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Just tried the same thing.
All signals came in aligned on a single pass, both listened live and played back.

Must be something DAW-related.
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
All signals came in aligned on a single pass, both listened live and played back.

Okay - good to know. I will keep trying to figure out what happened. I really appreciate your help with this!
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Monitoring

hi all, hope this isn't a totally random question looking for a little help. I'm testing out an SSL SIX at the moment. I want to be able to track through it (synths/drum machines/vocals) as well as use it for summing from my DAW. At the moment I have all my gear plugged in to my apollo 8 and an ADAT expansion. I then have two mono channels running in to one and two, and three stereo pairs running out of my Apollo. Ideally I want a set up where I can just route things around in software on Ableton and they are hardwired rather than plugging and unplugging. So two questions:

1. does that sound like the right approach for my situation in general?
2. In terms of monitoring, my monitors are connected to my apollo. Is there any reason to change that to monitoring out of the six as my master monitor? And if so how would you suggest doing it.

Thanks!
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinewavves View Post

2. In terms of monitoring, my monitors are connected to my apollo. Is there any reason to change that to monitoring out of the six as my master monitor? And if so how would you suggest doing it.
I will preface my answer with the admission that I am also new to using the SSL SiX. I too am using an Apollo interface, but mine is a twin with 8 additional ADAT coming from my UAD 4-710d PreAmp - so I have fewer INs and OUTs hardware wise. My set up is a little bit different though, in that I am using a Flock Audio Patchbay (this is cool hardware invention that you can control completely via your computer to connect INs and OUTs).

I think your setup makes practical sense for your situation since you want to hardwire and then route everything using your DAW, and you do not have a patchbay - but I wonder if the necessity of routing everything from your DAW could cause latency issues. For the second question about monitoring, it makes sense to me that you would use your Apollo because you have more immediate control of latency because the instruments are connected directly to that. I chose to switch my monitoring to the SiX because I wanted to use the monitor outs on my apollo as additional hardware line outs since these are more limited in the apollo twin. Also, compared to my apollo, the SiX has a more sophisticated monitoring setup in terms of routing different feeds to alternate speakers and headphones. How does the monitoring work through your apollo when you are mixing down? Don’t you need to hear the mix out from the SiX directly?

I am curious to see what more experienced users post as replies for your setup. Also, if anyone has feedback on my setup too feel free to reply.
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I am looking for a routing option that allows me to listen to a full mix coming back from the Six live in Logic.

I want to be able to fix mixes on the go using metering and comparison plugins inside the DAW and do not want to bypass any Six processing.

Is this even possible?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yes. I'm doing that by using one of the external inserts as a post - listen bus. Trying my best to explain it here:

https://youtu.be/b-VTnCEdC5A
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn Lavoll View Post
Yes. I'm doing that by using one of the external inserts as a post - listen bus. Trying my best to explain it here:

https://youtu.be/b-VTnCEdC5A
Thanks Jorn, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this method bypass the bus comp?

*Changed the I/O now good to go, "brrilliant!".
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Being the Black Friday time of year the ‘SiX’ is in sale at most of the usual box houses.
I did find better pricing than most at one seller. Even better this one doesn’t charge sales tax on online orders. My state charges 9.75% sales tax so ordering one for myself was a no-brainer. Looking forward to having the SSL as part of my home studio ‘front end.’
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV676 View Post
Being the Black Friday time of year the ‘SiX’ is in sale at most of the usual box houses.
I did find better pricing than most at one seller. Even better this one doesn’t charge sales tax on online orders. My state charges 9.75% sales tax so ordering one for myself was a no-brainer. Looking forward to having the SSL as part of my home studio ‘front end.’
Care to share where you found it? I’m also considering getting one.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Front End Audio.
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
quick tech quesion as my unit hasn't arrive. if i plug into L in one of the stereo inputs (L as mono per the manual) will the balance work as a pan for the signal on the master bus? want to use the first four faders as a true 4 ch mono mixer.

thanks
jason
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
yes
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have a couple of questions about the Six. It looks like an amazing unit with a unique feature set.

Firstly, can I use the Monitor outputs on the db25 connector to drive my sub? I suspect not, due to the “passive split, not buffered” in the manual but I thought I’d check here.

Secondly (and this is just out of curiosity) if the fader is supposed to be higher resolution around the 0dB mark (hence the wide space between -5dB and 0dB), why does it bunch up again between 0dB and +5dB and then spread out again between +5dB and +10dB? I would expect 0-5 to be wider and 5-10 to be narrower so that you have the most control between -5 and +5.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:

Hi Jim , I’d reall6 appreciate your opinion

I’ve had my six for a good while and feel very familiar and pleased with it.

I’m going to insert a fusion when it arrives next month and regardless of the analogue / digital summing argument

Personally I love sending my daw sub group buses out to the six and mix in a hybrid style, the desk just helps me find a balance quicker somehow

My question is re : bending the mix and superanalogue

My understanding of bending the mix is to use the Harmonic distortions as you push into the limits of the headroom on the mixbus of older consoles

But is this applicable to superanalogue channels still?

(I believe these channels are designed to have minimum distortion )

I mix very bass heavy trap soul projects and feel the g bus compressor is better left off for these styles but I do push the headroom ....16-18 dB plus on the mixbus still sounds lovely imo

However...i just wonder if this is or is not best use of the six’s headroom acccording to its design ?

My ear training and my speEd of mixing is a lot better for my hybrid setup ...but I still like to check I’m not fooling myself and make sure I’m understanding the design of my tools ...if that makes sense

Many thanks in advance if you can grab a mo

FWIW

I have the ssl six
The Ssl2 and a fusion on the way.....

And they are just lovely lovely bits of gear
Here for the gear

new mixers (concept)

Using only imagination ....

SSL SIX

SSL FOUR (4 mono channel)

SSL EIGHT (4 stereo channel)

.... but how I would like them to launch in 2021!

look at the attached image

Attached Thumbnails
SSL SiX small format mixer???-ssl-concept-six-four-eight.jpg  
Here for the gear

new mixers (concept) image detail

individual image detail
Attached Thumbnails
SSL SiX small format mixer???-ssl-concept-individual-six-four-eight.jpg  
Here for the gear

new mixers (concept) image detail

modular example image detail
Attached Thumbnails
SSL SiX small format mixer???-ssl-concept-modular-six-four-eight.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I recently started having an issue with my SIX. The volume pot on the monitor section is starting to crap out. The left channel spontaneously emits distortion and continues until I TAP on the volume pot. It goes away completely until it happens again. Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyder boy View Post
I recently started having an issue with my SIX. The volume pot on the monitor section is starting to crap out. The left channel spontaneously emits distortion and continues until I TAP on the volume pot. It goes away completely until it happens again. Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks
I'm also curious if this is an issue for others and if this will be covered by the manufacturer's warrantee. I just bought mine and it's working fine, but the longterm is unknown
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashphone View Post
I'm also curious if this is an issue for others and if this will be covered by the manufacturer's warrantee. I just bought mine and it's working fine, but the longterm is unknown
Well, I PM’d Jim at SSL a week or so ago and I’ve heard nothing. I for the most part am very satisfied with my SIX, but this is very concerning, and seems to be getting worse!
Gear Nut

You should get in touch with SSL support directly, they have been nothing but great for me.

Since you asked: the only „issue“ I have with the monitor pot is that the image shifts to the left when volume is set to a hair above off. But it doesn’t bother me at all, if I want to listen really, really quiet I use the dim function.
Here for the gear

Agreed on getting in touch with SSL support.
Let us know how this plays out.
Solid State Logic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyder boy View Post
Well, I PM’d Jim at SSL a week or so ago and I’ve heard nothing. I for the most part am very satisfied with my SIX, but this is very concerning, and seems to be getting worse!
PM'ed you. Unplugged over the holidays.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
PM'ed you. Unplugged over the holidays.
Thanks Jim, I just replied.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinewavves View Post
hi all, hope this isn't a totally random question looking for a little help. I'm testing out an SSL SIX at the moment. I want to be able to track through it (synths/drum machines/vocals) as well as use it for summing from my DAW. At the moment I have all my gear plugged in to my apollo 8 and an ADAT expansion. I then have two mono channels running in to one and two, and three stereo pairs running out of my Apollo. Ideally I want a set up where I can just route things around in software on Ableton and they are hardwired rather than plugging and unplugging. So two questions:

Thanks!
Sorry, late reply.

I use an Apollo 8 and SSL Six with a bit of outboard gear for summing and recording.

I found for me the best setup was a patchbay.

Sorry if this gets technical:

I use the SSL as the monitor controller because there is no real latency issue. Plus it's so handy having the dim, alt, mono cut and fader knob sitting near my left hand. And when you're summing through it, it's just easier – you want to hear the final mix not what's running through the Apollo.

The 2 monitor outs of my Apollo (1+2) go into EXT 2L and 2R (the last inputs on the top). I then switch the EXT2 button on the rhs off so I don't get feedback. From there I have two sets of monitors running. I also have a really **** monitor I run off the headphone jack of the Apollo to check bass etc. Zero phase or latency issues coming out of the jack or through the SSL.

The two SSL mic pres – I hook them up to an XLR patchbay that has all my other mic pres hooked up to it. You could just get away with plugging XLR in and out if you don't have any more outboard.

The eight remaining inputs are multed on the patchbay, so Apollo channel 3-10 go into SSL input 1,2,3+4, 5+6, 7+8. For summing that really comes in handy. I can patch outboard gear between the Apollo and the SiX using the patchbay. Or just have the signals going straight in.

To track, just use the patchbay for all your line ins, or XLR for microphones.

Often I'll track vocals through a nice pre into a compressor then into the SSL (and add compression / eq / buss compression to taste). The patch bays make this really easy.

I also hook the LMC up to the patchbay and can run things through that if I want to.

The SSL master outs go back into the Apollo on Channel 5+6 (no point wasting an XLR in)

Hope I've helped and not confused, took me ages to work out my setup but patchbay is probably the best way to go without unplugging everything all the time.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
One other point I should mention – you may be able to get away with not using a patchbay if you dig into the manual and study the 'alt' and 'insert' buttons on some of the channels.

Was way over my head and a patchbay just made more sense for me. Can plug an instrument straight into one of the jacks.
Gear Nut

Months ago I was so convinced a SiX would not fit my workflow. Not enough inputs, the hoops you had to jump thru to sum, etc. But then I thought about the DSubs landed in a patchbay...then landing EVERYTHING on a patchbay and nearly broke my trigger finger.

A SiX *needs* a patchbay. And you can get one with a pair of DSub breakouts and 16 patch cables for under $200 (sorry corksniffers, HOSA cables are just fine in this instance).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Please list the acceptable dsub patchbays available to a UK market
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatervest View Post
Months ago I was so convinced a SiX would not fit my workflow. Not enough inputs, the hoops you had to jump thru to sum, etc. But then I thought about the DSubs landed in a patchbay...then landing EVERYTHING on a patchbay and nearly broke my trigger finger.

A SiX *needs* a patchbay. And you can get one with a pair of DSub breakouts and 16 patch cables for under $200 (sorry corksniffers, HOSA cables are just fine in this instance).
So, you re goin to pay premium $$$ for a six channel SSL mixer and use Hosa cables huh?

Yeah ok.
📝 Reply