The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL SiX small format mixer???
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So are you hearing phase issues on the Main mix as you're printing it, or when playing back what's been printed?
Playback from the DAW straight from the interface (not using the SiX in playback). I recorded this a couple months ago and am just getting around to mixing it. I'm DEFINITELY not ruling out user error, but I am trying to figure out how this happened and how to not have it happen in the future.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Solid State Logic

Just tried the same thing.
All signals came in aligned on a single pass, both listened live and played back.

Must be something DAW-related.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just tried the same thing.
All signals came in aligned on a single pass, both listened live and played back.

Must be something DAW-related.
Okay - good to know. I will keep trying to figure out what happened. I really appreciate your help with this!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Monitoring

hi all, hope this isn't a totally random question looking for a little help. I'm testing out an SSL SIX at the moment. I want to be able to track through it (synths/drum machines/vocals) as well as use it for summing from my DAW. At the moment I have all my gear plugged in to my apollo 8 and an ADAT expansion. I then have two mono channels running in to one and two, and three stereo pairs running out of my Apollo. Ideally I want a set up where I can just route things around in software on Ableton and they are hardwired rather than plugging and unplugging. So two questions:

1. does that sound like the right approach for my situation in general?
2. In terms of monitoring, my monitors are connected to my apollo. Is there any reason to change that to monitoring out of the six as my master monitor? And if so how would you suggest doing it.

Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinewavves View Post

1. does that sound like the right approach for my situation in general?
2. In terms of monitoring, my monitors are connected to my apollo. Is there any reason to change that to monitoring out of the six as my master monitor? And if so how would you suggest doing it.
I will preface my answer with the admission that I am also new to using the SSL SiX. I too am using an Apollo interface, but mine is a twin with 8 additional ADAT coming from my UAD 4-710d PreAmp - so I have fewer INs and OUTs hardware wise. My set up is a little bit different though, in that I am using a Flock Audio Patchbay (this is cool hardware invention that you can control completely via your computer to connect INs and OUTs).

I think your setup makes practical sense for your situation since you want to hardwire and then route everything using your DAW, and you do not have a patchbay - but I wonder if the necessity of routing everything from your DAW could cause latency issues. For the second question about monitoring, it makes sense to me that you would use your Apollo because you have more immediate control of latency because the instruments are connected directly to that. I chose to switch my monitoring to the SiX because I wanted to use the monitor outs on my apollo as additional hardware line outs since these are more limited in the apollo twin. Also, compared to my apollo, the SiX has a more sophisticated monitoring setup in terms of routing different feeds to alternate speakers and headphones. How does the monitoring work through your apollo when you are mixing down? Don’t you need to hear the mix out from the SiX directly?

I am curious to see what more experienced users post as replies for your setup. Also, if anyone has feedback on my setup too feel free to reply.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I am looking for a routing option that allows me to listen to a full mix coming back from the Six live in Logic.

I want to be able to fix mixes on the go using metering and comparison plugins inside the DAW and do not want to bypass any Six processing.

Is this even possible?
Gear Addict
Yes. I'm doing that by using one of the external inserts as a post - listen bus. Trying my best to explain it here:

https://youtu.be/b-VTnCEdC5A
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn Lavoll View Post
Yes. I'm doing that by using one of the external inserts as a post - listen bus. Trying my best to explain it here:

https://youtu.be/b-VTnCEdC5A
Thanks Jorn, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this method bypass the bus comp?

*Changed the I/O now good to go, "brrilliant!".
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Addict

Being the Black Friday time of year the ‘SiX’ is in sale at most of the usual box houses.
I did find better pricing than most at one seller. Even better this one doesn’t charge sales tax on online orders. My state charges 9.75% sales tax so ordering one for myself was a no-brainer. Looking forward to having the SSL as part of my home studio ‘front end.’
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV676 View Post
Being the Black Friday time of year the ‘SiX’ is in sale at most of the usual box houses.
I did find better pricing than most at one seller. Even better this one doesn’t charge sales tax on online orders. My state charges 9.75% sales tax so ordering one for myself was a no-brainer. Looking forward to having the SSL as part of my home studio ‘front end.’
Care to share where you found it? I’m also considering getting one.
Old 4 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Front End Audio.
📝 Reply