The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL SiX small format mixer???
Old 27th August 2020 | Show parent
Sen
Gear Addict

Just modded some DB25 cables for use between Six and the patchbay and direct connections to ALT ins and parallel MIX and MON outs.
Ready to rock.
Attached Thumbnails
SSL SiX small format mixer???-20200827_170656.jpg  
Old 17th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

SiX vs X Desk vs Sigma

Hello all-

I posted a couple months back about the Sigma against the little Six.

My issue at the time was I had some serious operator error going on with the Sigma. I have spent some time with it and it's truly a beast. It can be pushed into the sweet spot without buckling or going hazy.

Here's my take on the line of SSL gear:

I had the Six- I returned it but regret that move. It's a brilliant tool considering all the features for the money.

I also tried out the X Desk- for me, this is not a big enough step forward from the Six for my purposes of summing. The Six sounds just as punchy and open to me- with less "haziness" (for lack of better term). This may be an issue with this particular X Desk. It's about 10 years old and looks a little road worn. It was a used item that I returned. I LOVE the topology of the X Desk.

I am now using the Sigma- it is truly amazing. It just has that "finished album" quality to the mixes. I am using an XLogic G comp and and Elysia Xfilter on the insert. It's just glorious.

So all that to say: I think the SIX is hard to beat. I would honestly take it over the X Desk and use the extra cash for other gear. It's a big step up to the Sigma but for me it's worth it.

Anyway- my two cents. I love the SSL sound and would really love to see a bigger version of the SIX come out...
Old 18th September 2020 | Show parent
Sen
Gear Addict

I think, disregarding the price, that the x-desk is a step up from the Six. Six has so much flexibility for the money, but x-desk is a step up tone wise (IMHO) and 2 steps up stereo image wise. Much wider than the Six.
Having said that, Six's preamps and basic eqs on input channels can be very useful and might balance that difference out for someone that needs these features.
Would love to try the Sigma, as it sounds like a great unit.
Old 18th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
but x-desk is a step up tone wise (IMHO) and 2 steps up stereo image wise. Much wider than the Six.
As I've never known SSL to be that inconsistent with their products, I would love to hear some direct comparisons between the Six vs. X Desk clearly showing the tone and stereo image differences you are claiming exist.
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Stereo Image

I concur on the "wideness" of the image on the X Desk. I really loved that about it. I never had all 3 units together. I had the SIX and Sigma- and X Desk and Sigma. The X Desk had a lush image but I felt it was a little "hollow" compared to the Sigma. The low-mid info was lacking for sure. The Six vs Sigma faired pretty well from my memory. I have a couple audio tests but I wasn't "driving" the Sigma right during that time.

I adore the SSL sound. Clean, punchy and deep.

If one is looking for summing over the console features of the X Desk (which is stellar), I really do think the SIX is outstanding. IMHO.

At some point I really needed to just stop my gear pursuit and pick something. I made the decision the Sigma serves my needs best.

FWIW- I had the XLogic G comp on the insert of the Sigma and shot it out against my Audioscape Buss Comp and I actually prefer the Audioscape for my mixes! I am pretty shocked! AS makes some killer gear and the price is outstanding. To my ears the AS compressor is more HiFi and more 3D than the XLogic.

Good luck everyone!
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Sen
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
As I've never known SSL to be that inconsistent with their products, I would love to hear some direct comparisons between the Six vs. X Desk clearly showing the tone and stereo image differences you are claiming exist.
A good 3-4 years after parting with the x-desk + x-panda, I still have the sound in my head and differences between the 2 are clear to my ear. I wouldn't think 2 different products would have to sound the same, because they're made by the same manufacturer. Six is a great unit for the money.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Any of you using a headphone amp with the SIX?

Having the SSL SIX for a while, and so far I love it.

I started with one synth, the famous Microkorg (S) and the Behringer Uphoria umc204hd.

Slowly I added more gear where the need for more inputs became obvious also the need for more control on the line signals. the focus is DAWless.

I'm still at a beginner level,but the goal here is to do it all by myself.
(writing/playing/mixing/mastering)

So instead of upgrading my audio interface, I decided to join the hype-train and go for a pro'ish mixer. With lots of bells and whistles (EQ having some bells, you get it, you get it? )

The quality is defined by your weakest link in the chain, but hey, maybe I should go for the SSL 2+ ( SSL fanboy in the making I guess "prosumer pitfall" )

Atm using the SIX for my synths and drummachines, The super analogue channel really takes the Behringer RD8(mono) to another level! It makes the beat more punchier, it sounds more clear, more polished. from dull to sharp.

The SIX invites you to play, to learn the how and what. As many said it can function like a Swiss-army knife if you know what your doing. ( slowly working on that )

Now one questing that I can't really find on the internet, are you guys ( i mean are there any girls here active? ) using an external headphone amplifier in conjunction with the SIX? I want to upgrade my headphones, Audio-Technica ATH-M30x to the popular Fostex T50RP-mk3 series
(I think i'm going for the T20RP) Curious if you would benefit using a headphone amp with the SIX, Any advice about headphone amp in conjunction with the Fostex/SIX is more than welcome. I'm not around in the Headphone Amp world, But I think it's not necessary for the SIX?
Attached Thumbnails
SSL SiX small format mixer???-img_1310.jpg  
Old 30th September 2020
Gear Addict

Very tempted by the SiX - want a small format mixer that doesnt take up the room - but I've got 2 x drum machines which I want to run with individual outs (14 in total), a copy of polys, a few monos and 3 x outboard

Wish they did a bigger version of the Six!
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymoth View Post
Wish they did a bigger version of the Six!
SSL sells mounts so that you can connect two SiX mixers, there you have you solution
Old 2nd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

One year in, still love my SIX.
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

A question for those with more experience: How realistic is the idea of using the Six in a live situation on stage, where you're sending FOH the main mix, as suggested in the manual? I get the attractions (like the pristine mix and being able to use the G Bus compression), but I've got concerns.

First, wouldn't it be a problem for FOH not to be able to adjust individual instruments?

Second, if you've got a band with a drummer, you'd likely have too many ins to use the Six alone, meaning you're probably using the FOH mixer, and then don't you lose the main benefits of having the Six?

It makes me think the on-stage application is pretty limited, and anything involving drums is gonna take some serious creativity to make it worthwhile.

Your thoughts appreciated.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGMatthew View Post
A question for those with more experience: How realistic is the idea of using the Six in a live situation on stage, where you're sending FOH the main mix, as suggested in the manual? I get the attractions (like the pristine mix and being able to use the G Bus compression), but I've got concerns.

First, wouldn't it be a problem for FOH not to be able to adjust individual instruments?

Second, if you've got a band with a drummer, you'd likely have too many ins to use the Six alone, meaning you're probably using the FOH mixer, and then don't you lose the main benefits of having the Six?

It makes me think the on-stage application is pretty limited, and anything involving drums is gonna take some serious creativity to make it worthwhile.

Your thoughts appreciated.
The illustration in the manual is essentially a small gig where the band is doing their own mix. It’s two singers a keyboard player and backing tracks. Drums (if there are any) and guitar amps and such may not even be mic’d up in that sort of scenario.

If you’re a band working with a FOH engineer, you don’t typically submix more than one instrument group together on stage. That said the SiX has a lot of outputs so you could conceptually do that, because you can get several independent signals out of it going to FOH. That would give the band a bit of control over their monitor mix and mains levels while still giving the sound guy veto control on FOH levels lol.

All that said, I’m not sold that you’d even benefit from the sonic benefits of the six as a sub mixer on stage. I feel like it would probably be mostly lost by the time the signal gets to the FOH board.

Last edited by mp3; 5th October 2020 at 09:16 AM..
Solid State Logic

Intended for self-engineered singers/duos.
Not enough inputs for anything else, but with 2x Stereo Cue sends there's enough for 2 individual wedge mixes.
Gear Head

I’ve been experimenting recording real drums through the SiX - two overheads going through channels 1 and 2 and smashing them through the bus compressor main outs as well as sending channels 1 and 2 out into DAW via DB25 (I don’t remember 100% but I think the drum bus channels were going out via DB25 as well). I noticed the signal from the main outs is very phasey with the high hats. If I mute the bussed drums the phase goes away (I have a room mic and snare mic and kick mic recorded as well but those aren’t touching the SSL). Is this normal? I have zero experience recording drums, but I don’t get why everything else sounds okay except for the drum bus channels.
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Intended for self-engineered singers/duos.
Not enough inputs for anything else, but with 2x Stereo Cue sends there's enough for 2 individual wedge mixes.
You’re selling her short Jim! With the main and bus b outs you’ve got two stereo or up to four mono feeds to FOH in a submix scenario. And if one monitor mix is sufficient, you could feed one of the foldback outs to FOH as well. That’s enough to support my band’s entire music section (my two keyboards, my bandmate’s two keyboards, and a DI’d bass and guitar).
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Anyone know if the power supply that comes with the SSL Six works with both 240V and 120V mains voltage? Thanks!
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpus View Post
Anyone know if the power supply that comes with the SSL Six works with both 240V and 120V mains voltage? Thanks!
100-240V line lump included with my USA SiX
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bacon View Post
100-240V line lump included with my USA SiX
Thanks!
Old 21st October 2020
Here for the gear

I get good mixes in my six with two maag eq2s and two portico 542 on the master insert.
Sounds amazing!
I do mainly hip hop and electronic music.
Greetings!
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARawls View Post
I’ve been experimenting recording real drums through the SiX - two overheads going through channels 1 and 2 and smashing them through the bus compressor main outs as well as sending channels 1 and 2 ....I noticed the signal from the main outs is very phasey with the high hats. If I mute the bussed drums the phase... Is this normal?...I don’t get why everything else sounds okay except for the drum bus channels.
I would like to know too. (?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riba View Post
I get good mixes in my six with two maag eq2s and two portico 542 on the master insert.
Sounds amazing!
Greetings!
I bet it does sound amazing. I have a used xfilter mostly cutting some 200 and 2k, and a used Lindell 77x (stereo 1176ish) in series on master insert and they are essential. Bypass either and it’s like life support! - to put them back in circuit immediately.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Sounds amazing!
Greetings!
and the link?
Solid State Logic

Quote:
I’ve been experimenting recording real drums through the SiX - two overheads going through channels 1 and 2 and smashing them through the bus compressor main outs as well as sending channels 1 and 2 out into DAW via DB25 (I don’t remember 100% but I think the drum bus channels were going out via DB25 as well). I noticed the signal from the main outs is very phasey with the high hats. If I mute the bussed drums the phase goes away (I have a room mic and snare mic and kick mic recorded as well but those aren’t touching the SSL). Is this normal? I have zero experience recording drums, but I don’t get why everything else sounds okay except for the drum bus channels.
Isn't this about latency between the DAW and recorded tracks due to the additional ADDA loop?
Here for the gear

I feel the rhythms come out with a lot of punch and the basses have a lot of depth through the six.
Nice combo, the xfliter is one of my future options to add to the rack and I just read the Lindell specs, it seems to work very well with different types of tracks, I'll have to listen it!
Here for the gear

Ok, I will put some samples.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
I feel the rhythms come out with a lot of punch and the basses have a lot of depth through the six.
Nice combo, the xfliter is one of my future options to add to the rack and I just read the Lindell specs, it seems to work very well with different types of tracks, I'll have to listen it!
Riba, To clear the slate- I like the xfilter because it is the only stereo 500 eq I have tried, but it’s not perfect. It’s missed when out of circuit and that’s all. I would like to try the TK 500 eq, but I hope you get my meaning that I do not believe the xfilter 500 is the end all best 500 stereo eq.
I would not know.
Same goes for the Lindell, I would like to try an API 529, though it’s not a FET clone 1176.
And maybe I’d keep both.
I’m using a couple 11 space BAE racks and a CAPI 51x dual VPR ps I built in April.
I believe the eq and comp are probably relatively poo, but to overcome diminishing returns and make a noticeable improvement would be $2k USA each, maybe on 19” units.
I spent $1450 used on the 2 modules. I want more. Carry on!
Gear Head

Quote:
Isn't this about latency between the DAW and recorded tracks due to the additional ADDA loop?
Thanks Jim. These were all recorded during tracking. I did the "recording drums" setup example from the manual, except I did OHL and OHR on SSL1 and SSL2 and didn't use the talkback channel. Recording this way should not cause phasing issues - is that correct? If I disable all plugins, and solo only the drum tracks through the SiX, the phasing issues are very apparent.

Here we have a three mic drum setup; kick, snare and mono overhead.
The kick and snare microphones are connected to the SuperAnalogue XLR mic inputs and processed with the SSL channel
compression and EQ. The kick and snare are recorded to individual DAW tracks via the channel one and two Insert Sends (on the
Output 25 Way D-type and which are always ‘active’ on an SSL). The overhead is connected to the Talkback Mic XLR input, so it
can be heavily compressed through the LMC (Listen Mic Compressor).
The overhead is sent to the Stereo Cue 2 output jack by selecting the Foldback/Cue using the TALK, which acts as a split.
One side is connected to the DAW audio interface for recording. The other side is connected to one of the stereo channels, which
automatically sum a left mono connection to the Stereo Mix bus.
All three inputs are mixed down through the Stereo Bus Compressor and recorded as a parallel drum compression bus at the same
time as the individual tracks. DAW playback is connected to Stereo Input two.
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Thanks Jim. These were all recorded during tracking. I did the "recording drums" setup example from the manual, except I did OHL and OHR on SSL1 and SSL2 and didn't use the talkback channel. Recording this way should not cause phasing issues - is that correct? If I disable all plugins, and solo only the drum tracks through the SiX, the phasing issues are very apparent.
Remind me of the exact layout here.
Mic into input 1
Mic into input 2
record feeds from Inserts points of each channel to DAW and from Main Mix of SiX through the Bus Comp.

Anything else coming back into the SiX that might have drums on it?
Not worried about plugins, I'm just checking what analogue signals are going into the desk.
What's on 3/4, 5/6 and the 2 EXT inputs?
Gear Head

Quote:
Remind me of the exact layout here.
Mic into input 1
Mic into input 2
record feeds from Inserts points of each channel to DAW and from Main Mix of SiX through the Bus Comp.

Anything else coming back into the SiX that might have drums on it?
Not worried about plugins, I'm just checking what analogue signals are going into the desk.
What's on 3/4, 5/6 and the 2 EXT inputs?
It was only mic into input 1, mic into input 2, record feed from insert points of channels 1 and 2 to DAW and then Main Mix through the bus comp into DAW. Nothing on 3/4, 5/6, 2 EXT, or talkback.

I was slamming the bus comp as hard as I could just to see what happened and get a different sound from the straight inputs.
Solid State Logic

So are you hearing phase issues on the Main mix as you're printing it, or when playing back what's been printed?
📝 Reply