The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL SiX small format mixer???
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey, found time to explore the SiX and exported one of the Reason demo songs and pulled it up in Protools to sum out through the SiX to print into WaveLab and I have Gullfoss on a default setting in my Wavelab and saved this quick print of this example... not a full orchestrated mix, but a 10 minute exploration of just the SiX "sound". I'm posting it here for anyone that is familiar with this demo song and may want to hear what passing it through the SiX summing would produce:

Wav: https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaldrug...g+Gullfoss.wav
MPA: https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaldrug...g+Gullfoss.m4a

Last edited by DigitalDrugLord; 3rd April 2019 at 04:53 PM..
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak View Post
This is really a nice piece of gear. You really have to see it and hear it in person. I know you will really be surprised because you can read reviews and watch videos but it won't do you any justice. My suggestion is find your nearest music store that has a demo version and then base your opinions after that. What I can say after messing around last night is I am glad that I made this purchase. I push some stereo songs through the 1& 2 inputs and that alone made such a difference in the sound that I had to stair at my speakers in amazement. My purpose for this device is for summing and I was blown away at the depth that the Six made from just inputting a stereo two track mix through it. This is a very quite mixer and when you push the faders you hear a very Powerful backing like the voltage of a big console. I had to play with the volume because I could not believe that there was no static no noise it was amazing. Thank you SSL because someone in your corporation has truly proven themselves with this one. CHEERS!!!
You heard a difference that blew you away with the increased "depth" of pushing two channels through a line mixer?
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
You heard a difference that blew you away with the increased "depth" of pushing two channels through a line mixer?
Pretty much unless you need a play by play I hope you get the idea. It really didn't take much surprisingly. Cheers!
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

First 30 minutes!

Ordered via Sweetwater on Monday, at door today (Wednesday) 10am.

Little complaint that the outer shipping box was ripped so don’t know if Sweetwater or FedEx fault.

The OEM box was fine thank god. Sweetwater sent a full catalog, invoice, stickers, and candy which was nice.

SSL designed a nice OEM box which was classy and contained manual, power supply and two wall cables (one said Japan)

Surprised how compact unit was and very light. Construction seemed very well built, reminds me of when the original mackies came out.

Initial test done with a cheap dynamic mic...Channel EQ was nice with useful ranges. Channel compressor did what I expected...

That damn G-compressor...holy snit! With even that little dynamic mic, it was glorious! I’d pay $1,500 for that alone...I can only imagine when I put some stereo tracks up. That thing really smacks in a clean way. I’ve recorded on 4000’s and 9000’s and that is very close to what I’m hearing out this little box (buss compressor wise)

FYI: My original plan for this year was to buy a Vancouver $2,400 and an G compressor knock off $800...glad I was slow to buying upgrades because I’m positive this saved me that money, yes I’m going to have to load up my busses but I’m not really sure after 8 stereo stems, analog summing is that different sonically with more tracks.

Will update once I put full tracks on this...did I mention that G-compressor OMG!!!!!
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
My purpose for this device is for summing and I was blown away at the depth that the Six made from just inputting a stereo two track mix through it.
Interesting. Try disengaging the G Compressor, are you still blown away?
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Yes I am still blown away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
Interesting. Try disengaging the G Compressor, are you still blown away?
Do you have the piece? Let me know your thoughts? Thanks
First quote was correct I just pushed the sound through it and moved faders and heard a very nice sound without the G buss. I didn't start playing with the G bus until a little later to be honest. Some of the songs that I played through it were already mixed. I just drove the song through it as I mentioned 2 track stereo I Can Only Imagine what's going to happen when I use the summoning on my mix buses. Oh but it sounds like BS right. In the plug-in world of gearslutz people always say try out the demo for yourself I suggest those who doubt need to follow that advice. I was asked for my opinion and I gave that this is the one time that I'm going to laugh at those who may have a lot to say but don't own the product especially knowing what I'm getting out of it mainly fun. I really am enjoying the way it sounds. It took everything in me this morning to not go into my studio because I would have been late for work. I really haven't had that much fun and inspiration as I did last night when I got home and quite a number of years to be able to experiment with a different sound coming through my speakers. Good luck to you all cheers!!!

Last edited by Atak; 3rd April 2019 at 08:08 PM..
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
Ordered via Sweetwater on Monday, at door today (Wednesday) 10am.

Little complaint that the outer shipping box was ripped so don’t know if Sweetwater or FedEx fault.

The OEM box was fine thank god. Sweetwater sent a full catalog, invoice, stickers, and candy which was nice.

SSL designed a nice OEM box which was classy and contained manual, power supply and two wall cables (one said Japan)

Surprised how compact unit was and very light. Construction seemed very well built, reminds me of when the original mackies came out.

Initial test done with a cheap dynamic mic...Channel EQ was nice with useful ranges. Channel compressor did what I expected...

That damn G-compressor...holy snit! With even that little dynamic mic, it was glorious! I’d pay $1,500 for that alone...I can only imagine when I put some stereo tracks up. That thing really smacks in a clean way. I’ve recorded on 4000’s and 9000’s and that is very close to what I’m hearing out this little box (buss compressor wise)

FYI: My original plan for this year was to buy a Vancouver $2,400 and an G compressor knock off $800...glad I was slow to buying upgrades because I’m positive this saved me that money, yes I’m going to have to load up my busses but I’m not really sure after 8 stereo stems, analog summing is that different sonically with more tracks.

Will update once I put full tracks on this...did I mention that G-compressor OMG!!!!!
I did not know that Iwould get a little bag of candy with my purchase. I thought that was funny and it made sense I haven't ordered anything from Sweetwater and quite a long time. The packaging was nice and I definitely felt the same way that you did I couldn't believe that this piece only cost $1500.00 it's definitely not a cheap looking piece they really put work into it. Enjoy!!!
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is really a nice piece of gear. You really have to see it and hear it in person. I know you will really be surprised because you can read reviews and watch videos but it won't do you any justice. My suggestion is find your nearest music store that has a demo version and then base your opinions after that. What I can say after messing around last night is I am glad that I made this purchase. I push some stereo songs through the 1& 2 inputs and that alone made such a difference in the sound that I had to stair at my speakers in amazement. My purpose for this device is for summing and I was blown away at the depth that the Six made from just inputting a stereo two track mix through it. This is a very quite mixer and when you push the faders you hear a very Powerful backing like the voltage of a big console. I had to play with the volume because I could not believe that there was no static no noise it was amazing. Thank you SSL because someone in your corporation has truly proven themselves with this one. CHEERS!!!
So your mixes were that bad? Because many mix and mastering engineers work ITB.

Anyway, a magic box for bad mixes!! The Silverbullet has a competitor!!

I want the plugin version
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you but I did not make any statements regarding in the Box mixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKtotalitarians View Post
So your mixes were that bad? Because many mix and mastering engineers work ITB.

Anyway, a magic box for bad mixes!! The Silverbullet has a competitor!!

I want the plugin version
Listen I wish you the best of luck in what you may try accomplish musically. I certainly did come in to go through a battle over my opinion of a product that I am happy with. Best of luck to you. Cheers!!!
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
I know, right? It’s not like there’s a tube or transformer to color it blew away.

You gotta get the compressor, filter and EQ involved.

I thought engaging the G comp really goosed the mic amp.

This box has a lot of potential tricks. Read the manual and Gearslutz threads circa 2004-2010 for many nuggests of SSL wisdom.

I don’t see many of the actual professionals here anymore. They had all sorts of tidbits about how they used and made famous the SSL filters, gate and compressor and EQ. They might see opportunities with this box that inexperienced users have no frame of reference for. You know, like the Pultec cut boost trick.

On another note, it will be great when CLA does his signature version heh
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Listen I wish you the best of luck in what you may try accomplish musically. I certainly did come in to go through a battle over my opinion of a product that I am happy with. Best of luck to you. Cheers!!!
Sorry man. Didn’t mean to rile you up. I was just poking you for more info. You can’t just say “blew me away” on Gearslutz.

Enjoy the SiX bro. The more I get into it, the more I’m loving it, too. The true magic is gonna be in all the routing potential they packed into it. It’s what I hoped would come when the Xdesk was released.

Best purchase I’ve made since my dual SP16s.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Just a thought maybe even a word of advice.

Quote:
I know, right? It’s not like there’s a tube or transformer to color it blew away.

You gotta get the compressor, filter and EQ involved.

I thought engaging the G comp really goosed the mic amp.

This box has a lot of potential tricks. Read the manual and Gearslutz threads circa 2004-2010 for many nuggests of SSL wisdom.

I don’t see many of the actual professionals here anymore. They had all sorts of tidbits about how they used and made famous the SSL filters, gate and compressor and EQ. They might see opportunities with thix box that inexperienced users have no frame of reference for. You know, like the Pultec cut boost trick.

On another note, it will be great when CLA does his signature version heh
it's nice to have a lot of knowledge and be very tech savvy with recording gear down to a T thank goodness my company is equipped with a very knowledgeable engineer with a mass amount of great gear. Sometimes you should leave some room for your creativity and keeping basic and organic in some cases. At the end of the day using software and machines that may be created for one purpose yet you find other ways to use them can go a long way if no one's ever told you that again. Unless I can predict the next hit sound I will stay in my lane and have fun. cheers
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

No problem here

Quote:
Sorry man. Didn’t mean to rile you up. I was just poking you for more info. You can’t just say “blew me away” on Gearslutz.

Enjoy the SiX bro. The more I get into it, the more I’m loving it, too. The true magic is gonna be in all the routing potential they packed into it. It’s what I hoped would come when the Xdesk was released.

I'm not riled up at the least bit from what you said at all I thought I said something to get you angry or that you were having a bad day. Personally I just can't wait until more people get to see it and use it in person maybe then it won't seem like I'm hyping it. I'm just very excited because I feel like this completes another chapter in my personal home studio.
Enjoy
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

I’ve also been running full mixes through channels 1+2. It can work wonders on an otherwise stale, static mix. I’ve enjoyed it so much, I went ahead and added the Fusion into the mix. The routing possibilities between the two have given me a headache - but at least my ears are feeling blessed.

Anyone else using the Fusion and SiX combo? I’d like to hear how you’ve set things Up...
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty much unless you need a play by play I hope you get the idea. It really didn't take much surprisingly. Cheers!
Have you ever heard a two track play back via channels on a LFAC? Did you hear " increased depth" there too?
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have the piece? Let me know your thoughts? Thanks
I do. I will. We gon' learn tonight!

Quote:
Oh but it sounds like BS right.
No! I BELIEVE you and legitimately wanted to know if you had the G Compressor enabled. I just wanted a little excitement before I got home.

Quote:
I was asked for my opinion and I gave that this is the one time that I'm going to laugh at those who may have a lot to say but don't own the product especially knowing what I'm getting out of it mainly fun.
Sorry for the misinterpretation man. You made me pay the price for another man's facepalm.

Quote:
Good luck to you all cheers!!!
Thanks, and you as well!
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Yes ! Please compare the two
Compressors. I have an SSL Buss comp already and was wondering how the six version sounded.
Perhaps I can use the Buss comp to slam and the six for master bus !
Quote:

No! I BELIEVE you and legitimately wanted to know if you had the G Compressor enabled. I just wanted a little excitement before I got home.

Sorry for the misinterpretation man. You made me pay the price for another man's facepalm.

Thanks, and you as well!
Old 3rd April 2019
Solid State Logic

Ratio 4:1
30ms attack
100ms release

Match levels.
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ratio 4:1
30ms attack
100ms release

Match levels.
Could you do a comparison video of summing in the six vs summing on a console/xrack. That would be awesome
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Hitting the road with my SiX rig in a Nike Hoops Elite Max Air Team 2.0 Basketball
Backpack, holds my entire rig with all cables/cords:

SiX Mixer
MBP
MOTU 8A

-I could also pitch in my Townsend Mic and Apollo Twin, there's enough room but this trip doesn't require them.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaldruglord/IMG_9045.JPG
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi, could you please elaborate on your workflow , scenarios and benefits?
Especially regarding the SPs ( drummachines) into SIX.

How do you use/record/mix the SP16s into the SiX?
Both at the same time? - with eq/compressor going in to the computer?
And then out of the box again? eq (again) summing on the SIX?

Thanks
Old 4th April 2019
I was equally curious about how the G Comp sounded compared to the new SiX. Since I have both here, I thought I'd try them out on some music samples. Take a listen.

Access to this page has been denied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep View Post
Yes ! Please compare the two
Compressors. I have an SSL Buss comp already and was wondering how the six version sounded.
Perhaps I can use the Buss comp to slam and the six for master bus !
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
I was equally curious about how the G Comp sounded compared to the new SiX. Since I have both here, I thought I'd try them out on some music samples. Take a listen.

Sadly I did prefeer samples B :(
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the test, very interesting.

I just received my six and using it with my electronic music production rig, used to have the Xdesk but always wanted the exact features the six has.

So far i love it and i can see it as a great live mixer too.

Need to figure out the best way to use it for my dub delay effect still.

Great job SSL, now im looking to add a fusion to it
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Maniac
Would it be worth to acquire this if one almost only works into the box?? I would want to use this as summing mixer out and in my daw and for recording hardware synths.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thank you for the comparison work Lynn.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

This gon' be good!
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDrugLord View Post
Hitting the road with my SiX rig in a Nike Hoops Elite Max Air Team 2.0 Basketball
Backpack, holds my entire rig with all cables/cords:

SiX Mixer
MBP
MOTU 8A

-I could also pitch in my Townsend Mic and Apollo Twin, there's enough room but this trip doesn't require them.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaldruglord/IMG_9045.JPG
I'm probably going to love taking this thing on the go with me.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds good. B (SSL Buss Compressor) sounds a little snappier, especially on the snare. The kick sounded more rounded off on the SiX, a bit more compressed sounding, but pretty close over all.
Obvisoully it’s not worth selling the SSL buss compressor for the Six, as it has way more options. But would be nice to have both.

Quote:

Old 4th April 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:

Casually listening in my car. It’s hard for me to hear any differences.
Would have loved if you did a blind A/B.
Thanks for doing this. I think your examples says much for the Six in a good way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search