The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RF Interference, Shielding Yamaha HS7 Monitors?
Old 18th March 2019
Here for the gear

RF Interference, Shielding Yamaha HS7 Monitors?

Hello everyone,

I recently bought Yamaha HS7s as my first pair of studio monitors in a deal from ProAudioStar. I currently live on the top floor of a building in NYC which I'm finding out is a RF/EM nightmare. I'm right below a bunch of AC units on the roof, satellite dishes and god-knows-what, and although it's a newer building, I'm not ruling out potentially dubious wiring in this city.

Previously, I'd had some problems with digital interference/hash noise in a Yamaha Motif ES 8 and a Cambridge 640P phono stage previously. The Yamaha Motif, which was 3 prong, could have this noise go away with a ground lift plug, and the phono stage seemed to be very sensitive to its placement within the room -- I couldn't successfully make it disappear completely

I'm currently at my wits' end here with the monitors. The digital hash sound appears in the HS 7s even when NOTHING is plugged into them besides a power cable, and furthermore it appears to be consistently louder in one of the speakers no matter where I place it in the room. It's precisely this issue (not my video):

Here's what hasn't worked already:
  • I've tried them in every outlet in the house
  • I've tried them in nearly every position in the room
  • I've tried them with a TripLite LC1200 line conditioner I purchased for the occasion
  • I've tried them with everything else in the room unplugged
  • I've tried them with everything else in the apartment turned off at the breaker and everything else in the room unplugged
  • I've tried a three to two prong adaptor
  • I've tried them in my across-the-hall neighbor's apartment. There is still the RF noise everywhere on our floor.
  • Tears
  • Prayer

When I tried the speakers at a friend's ground floor apartment a mile away, they were dead quiet.

The only thing that HAS worked is putting aluminum foil on the outside of the speaker on the left side. That seems to attenuate the noise greatly, although it doesn't go away completely. It is completely unclear what could be emanating interference from that side -- there's nothing plugged in, over there -- it's just a window and a wall, basically.

I've been searching the forums here a lot and I'm noticing that many people have reported this issue with the HS series, and it seems like shielding is non-existent in these speakers. Although I was thinking of biting the bullet and trying to return them to ProAudioStar, it's likely that ANY studio monitors are going to have RF problems in here, as most nowadays are unshielded, and it seems like it would be pretty hard to best them at their price point.

A few commenters on the video have reported success with this issue by shielding the inside of their monitors. Has anybody done this successfully? I haven't opened mine because I'm still on the fence about giving up and returning them, but I watched a video on youtube about some other mod of the HS8 and it looks like the inside is full of acoustic stuffing -- would aluminum foil or copper tape be put behind that? I'm imagining you don't want to put any of it on or anywhere close to the back panel where all the electronics are.

Can anybody offer any guidance or advice, please? Thank you!
Old 14th April 2019
Here for the gear

I have the same problem, it is because of a nearby mobile phone tower or similar. I'm reluctant to wrap the speaker in RF shielding so will probably sell them.
Old 14th April 2019

This is how i go about fixing things like that
Old 5th May 2019
Here for the gear

Same problem here. Moved to a new apartment just under the roof and my HS7s started to hiss. The noise is not loud but after a few minutes becomes unbearable. Wrapping the monitors in tin foil only extends the period of patience. Is there any way to get rid of the noise completely? Will shielding the speakers from the inside help?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Same problem with a pair of PreSonus Eris E5

I've tried lining the inside of the speaker with tinfoil but it didn't help much.

Are there monitors in this price range that are properly shielded?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search