The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar and speakers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Guitar and speakers

Hi there

I am currently developing a live setup where I play guitar and use Ableton Live.

My two signal chains consist of my guitar that goes straight into the amp and signal 2 which is my guitar that goes into Ableton Live where it is being processed.

As I am a total noob when it comes to gear I wanted to ask if you can recommend any low budget speakers that i could use for the processed signal chain. Will regular studio monitors do the job if i just use them at low volume at home?

Any advice is more than welcome!
Old 1 week ago
Sure regular studio monitors would work if you are just using them for home and that is what you should use, if you are using an audio interface.

That said, i suspect you will be having a delay form the chain going into Ableton and being processed by plugin effects..
Have you thought this through?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot for the reply.

So there's no actual risk that I would blow off the studio monitors if I play guitar through them?
The delay is not much of a problem as I don't use time based effects but only reverbs and some other stuff...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBroda View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply.
The delay is not much of a problem as I don't use time based effects but only reverbs and some other stuff...
The thnig to know about all plugins in DAW are they all will have some sort of latency to them, even if they are not timed based. yuo wil notice a dleay in a compressor plugin, chorus, flanger, EQ and any other plugin. They all have buffers to make them able to process the sound

And you have to take into account that the round trip from your audio interface to your DAW and out of your interface will be at least 10 msecs on a very powerful PC and great interface with great drivers.

With effect and a decent PC and decent interface and depending on your driver settings, you will most likely have between 15 msecs to 30 msecs round trip latency and that is noticeable

When you play a guitar through an amp and then send the same single to your audio interface, then DAW , then effects in your DAW, then out of your DAW, you will hear a delay between them both.

Quote:
So there's no actual risk that I would blow off the studio monitors if I play guitar through them?
They are made for that, that s why they are called studio monitors. Unless you abuse them and then thats on you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBroda View Post
Only if you turn things up way too loud, just like any other speaker in any other situation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search