The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving to LA in July, Studio Recomendations Consoles
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Nut

Moving to LA in July, Studio Recomendations

Hey guys,
I have been reading this forum non stop for the past few months and I love the info and opinions I find on here. Anyways, in the end of July, I'm moving to LA to pursue my career in audio (Originally from Boston). I plan on staying for a long time, hopefully living there for a good part of the rest of my life.

I was hoping some of ya'll would be able to recommend some good studios to check out. I am going to be doing my first internship for my school and then will continue after I graduate pursuing more, or hopefully stay on an intern wherever I am already interning at.
I am also interested in post-production but recording music is my 1st love, and wouldn't mind being at a studio where I would be around both music rec. and post. I am very good with Pro Tools and would love to intern at a studio with Neve Consoles as well(since I am pretty much in love with them). Honestly though I am pretty much open to anything. I am just looking to be in a good environment where I will be able to expand my knowledge of audio recording. ( I know I will have to suffer through countless hours of wrapping cables, cleaning toilets , cars, making coffee etc and i am happy to do it. Why would some one in their studio in the first place if they don't even care about keeping it clean and presentable. )

I had thought about The Village Recorder but heard through the grapevine that they don't take interns. I have a few other ideas in mind. So, if any of you can suggest some places to check out it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this post, was a little drawn out, but audio is my life, and my love as I know it is for many of you, and I want to make sure I am making good first moves when moving out to LA.

Thanks in Advance,
Ian Datz

AIM: EN tha Wize Guy
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EN tha Wize Guy View Post
Hey guys,
I have been reading this forum non stop for the past few months and I love the info and opinions I find on here. Anyways, in the end of July, I'm moving to LA to pursue my career in audio (Originally from Boston). I plan on staying for a long time, hopefully living there for a good part of the rest of my life.

I was hoping some of ya'll would be able to recommend some good studios to check out. I am going to be doing my first internship for my school and then will continue after I graduate pursuing more, or hopefully stay on an intern wherever I am already interning at.
I am also interested in post-production but recording music is my 1st love, and wouldn't mind being at a studio where I would be around both music rec. and post. I am very good with Pro Tools and would love to intern at a studio with Neve Consoles as well(since I am pretty much in love with them). Honestly though I am pretty much open to anything. I am just looking to be in a good environment where I will be able to expand my knowledge of audio recording. ( I know I will have to suffer through countless hours of wrapping cables, cleaning toilets , cars, making coffee etc and i am happy to do it. Why would some one in their studio in the first place if they don't even care about keeping it clean and presentable. )

I had thought about The Village Recorder but heard through the grapevine that they don't take interns. I have a few other ideas in mind. So, if any of you can suggest some places to check out it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this post, was a little drawn out, but audio is my life, and my love as I know it is for many of you, and I want to make sure I am making good first moves when moving out to LA.

Thanks in Advance,
Ian Datz

Good luck with the move, wish I had the balls to do something like that

Cheers,
Peter
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Maniac

Even though the Village doesn't take interns, don't be afraid to come
by and drop off a resume.

That's how I got my gig there.

Some other studios with Neve's to check out would be. . ..

OceanWay
Sound City
Sunset Sound

Those are some of the bigger ones with Neve boards. But a google search will
yeild many more results.

Good Luck!
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Nut

thanks, would you recommend building up my resume more before dropping mine off at the village ? what was your situation if you don't mind me asking? I am in no rush I know this is a life long process. Keep the suggestions coming though if possible.

Time to get a few hours of sleep before class though. Been up all night reading the SSL manual and the recording engineers handbook.
Old 23rd May 2007
Bring enough money to survive the first few months without income. Or, you may end up taking a job you don't want or going home.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Addict

What Jim said!

It's a tough town full of 100 "yes men" going for every gig - whether they're capable of doing it or not!

GM
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Bring enough money to survive the first few months without income. Or, you may end up taking a job you don't want or going home.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim, better make that first few years. Interns don't make much if anything. Without $10-20K in hand, you won't make it 6 months. Well, with $10k, you could probably make it 6 months - IF - you live in a rented room.
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Nut

Avoid The Record Plant.

The more money you can save before going the better.

Good luck.
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Nut

I plan on not working another job during my first internship and as long as possible. If need be I will take out a student loan. It is important to me, and I won't give up and go home. It has taken me many years to make the trip accross country from Boston to Boulder, to Tempe, AZ and California has always been the destination. I do plan on renting as there is no way I can afford to purchase a place until I have a steady paying gig for a few years.
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I plan on not working another job during my first internship and as long as possible. If need be I will take out a student loan. It is important to me, and I won't give up and go home. It has taken me many years to make the trip accross country from Boston to Boulder, to Tempe, AZ and California has always been the destination. I do plan on renting as there is no way I can afford to purchase a place until I have a steady paying gig for a few years.
I think he meant renting a room, as in you'll have to have some roommates. Housing costs in the LA area are astronomical. Good luck though bro, hopefully in a couple years I'll be making the same trip.
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I think he meant renting a room,
Yeah, I did. A single room with bathroom and kitchen privaleges in someone elses house - ie: not your own apartment - is around $5-600 per month. A studio (1 room + bathroom) apartment is pushing $1000.
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Nut

Yes, I def. understand that, I think I may have just found a place to stay the 1st 3 months with a friend from school until his wife and daughter come out to live with him for about 550 a month. 1 bedroom to myself, pool etc. But in reality, I am looking for a more long term living situation. If anyone knows of anyone who may be renting in the near future please feel free to let me know.

I have found a few good studios so far from this post... If anyone can recommend a few more music studios and a few more post-production ones let me know. I'd like to work/intern at a place with a variety of equipment so i can get my chops up, esp. on the analog side of things.

AIM:Enthawizeguy
Email: [email protected]
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Nut

a lot of people have said to avoid the record plant... why is that?
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Maniac

goddamnit STOP MOVING TO LA!
sorry i'm from los angeles and i'm sick of all these ****ing out of towners moving in, coming from their stupid recording schools and taking all of the intern jobs (and usually not having a ****ing clue what they're doing) and clogging up the already congested streets. I think i'm going to move and make way for all these little pricks who have big dreams of making it big who are just going to learn how to chop drums and correct vocals so they can make that emo band sound just like every other.

i'm only half serious and i sincerly wish you the best of luck EN tha Wize Guy.
Old 24th May 2007
Gear Addict

WORD!!!!
Turn around and run the other way EN. LA is a big caca hole and the entire entertainment industry is flooded with dreamers so finding work out here is even a bigger dream. Most of the transplants I know usually spend a few months living in their cars because finding work is next to nothing and they run out of money fast......Save yourself man, RUN AWAY!!!!!
Old 24th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
a lot of people have said to avoid the record plant... why is that?
It's a notoriously difficult place to be a runner, or so they say. Management is kind of nuts. The guys I know that came up there are doing pretty well though...
Old 25th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thanks, would you recommend building up my resume more before dropping mine off at the village ? what was your situation if you don't mind me asking?
Well . . . I had to give out a lot of resumes before I even got a return phone call.

A lot of the reason why I am working at the Village now is because of the way
the timing worked out. They had just lost some people, and I happened to walk
into the studio with my resume at the right time, and they pretty much hired
me on the spot.

As far as building up your resume goes. . .It doesn't hurt, but I don't know if it
is necessary. In my experience I have found that very few employers put a lot of
weight on the information on your piece of paper(resume). They mostly want
to see if you are a normal individual who is willing to work hard not steal sh*t
from their studio. However, you will find that every situation is different.

My advice to you is to meet people in person. A phone call/email/fax will only get
you so far. Any gig I have gotten be it drumming or engineering has been from
knocking on doors and actually meeting the person who could potentially hire me.
That way, they can put a face to a name and you have made more of an impression
than just faxing a sheet of paper with your name on it. Plus it shows you really
want that job if you take the initiative to set up a short meeting, shake some hands,
and leave your resume.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 25th May 2007
Lives for gear

All I can say is good luck. I did the L.A. thing for about 10 months. I ended up at Cherokee studios. It was pretty well established that even their assistants didn't get paid, but typically, if you busted your ass (like I did) you got to move from trash and coffee duties to assitant pretty quick.

It took about 2 months before getting to work on sessions, and the sessions I did get to work on were with some pretty rad people. Andy Johns for one.

By the end of my stint I had done quite a bit of actual engineering, ended up playing guitar with the guys from the Rollins band, and my L.A. claim to fame is that in the Black Flag benefit Album called "rise above" there's a big ass picture of me and Lemmy from motorhead sitting at their huge API Legacy console on the inside sleeve.

However, none of that paid much, if anything at all. By the time I left, I ended up working out a deal at Cherokee to take a few choice pieces of gear instead of getting paid the money they owed me.

My wife and I actually just finished paying off the credit cards we used to live on while we were there.
Old 25th May 2007
Gear Head

Hey Ian,

Not sure we have anything for you right now but feel free to drop off a resume or info at The Pass Studios. Pretty big tracking room and a mix room, both with Neve 8078's.

You can speak to Anne Johnson, the studio manager at 323-851-1244.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 25th May 2007
Gear Maniac

i would also suggest not limiting yourself to just music studios. there are tons of post production studios in l.a. that actually pay. the more open you are the more opportunities arise. but definetly make sure you have thousands saved up for rent food and gas.
Old 25th May 2007
Gear Nut

Haha, some funny comments .... Maybe I do have a basic knowledge compared to many, but its all about learning experiences, networking and hard work for me. I have no plans of avoiding LA. I won't give up, and I will work my ass off cleaning toilets as long as need be until the right opportunity comes my way. I have no problem crashing on friends couches, sleeping at homeless shelters if I was ever in that desperate of a position. I am determined and as many horror stories as I hear, the more it makes me want it even more. Thanks for all the opinions/suggestions/comments though. Keep em coming.

P.S Dave does your studio have a website? It's about bedtime for me right now cause I have class in a few hours, so I'll search for it when I am on a break from class.

- Ian Datz
Old 26th May 2007
Gear Head

ThePassStudios.com

Talked to Anne today and she said there may be an opening soon.
Old 27th May 2007
Gear Nut

I will have my school contact her first. They require that my first internship contact is made through them at first. I don't want any bad blood with my school since they have done so much for me. Dave, do you think she would mind the school contacting her? I am going to be done with school July 20th and in LA within 2-4 days after.
Old 27th May 2007
Lives for gear

Hey, is that Dave Way (Macy Gray)?

The guys that pop up on this board just knock my socks off...
Old 27th May 2007
Gear Nut

Not me

Last edited by Musikvilla; 18th December 2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: There is a sabataar Jules! I am not in control of my account any more
Old 27th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks in Advance,
Ian Datz

Try Henson.

be wary if the staff comes at you with gaff tape and a rolling chair.
Old 27th May 2007
Gear Nut

i've been checking all these places out... great suggestions so far.
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Nut

Well i just finished up school. Tomorrow morning I will be driving out to LA and expect to be there tomorrow night and hopefully do my internship interview by Tuesday.... anyway I was wondering if you guys could recommend some places to check out. Record Stores, Venues, Restaurants. I know there must be a ton but a few places would be nice. I am going to be living in the South Pasadena area and spending most of my time around Cahuenga Blvd W. So anything around here would be especially helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Ian
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

EN,

My advice is jump on Dave's offer. I assisted for him once about 15 years ago an besides being one of the very best mixers in the business he is a great guy. His studio used to be (under a previous owner) called Andorra. He say's he may have an opening... that is almost the situation that Ryan had @ the Village ( where btw I was the main assistant '97-2000). So do yourself a favor..jump on that. Don't worry about your school as much as not let a rare opportunity for yourself go by.

the secret to life is.............................. timing.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Congrats!!!

Check out these threads for more LA info.

First trip to L.A., leaving tomorrow!

My dear LA slutz,

A place in LA

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search