The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audix I5 and the Sennheiser 906
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Head

Audix I5 and the Sennheiser 906

Question
I have a few 57's and a pair of sennheiser 609's

My snare tones and guitar tones are very good but I would love to try some stuff. I will buy them but I just want to hear some reviews.

I am thinking of picking up an audix I5 and a Sennheiser 906

Will I gain anything on the Audix I5 compared to the 57 on snares and guitar cabs?

Will I gain anything on the 906 over the 609's for snares and guitar cabs?

I have a bunch of other microphones too, LDC's, SDC's and Ribbons and other dynamics. I just want to play with some more stuff.

thanks
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

Some feel the i5 hypes the top end a bit. My personal opinion is that both the 57 and i5 are great for guitars. In the end, I lean more toward the i5. I own both btw. I've seen people use the combination of both a 57 and an i5 on snares. One on top and one on the bottom.
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Guru

I agree. I use both the i5 & sm57 on gtr cabs. Like it was said, the i5 is a little more open on top and less peaky on some cabinets.
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybulldog View Post
Question
I have a few 57's and a pair of sennheiser 609's

My snare tones and guitar tones are very good but I would love to try some stuff. I will buy them but I just want to hear some reviews.

I am thinking of picking up an audix I5 and a Sennheiser 906

Will I gain anything on the Audix I5 compared to the 57 on snares and guitar cabs?

Will I gain anything on the 906 over the 609's for snares and guitar cabs?

I have a bunch of other microphones too, LDC's, SDC's and Ribbons and other dynamics. I just want to play with some more stuff.

thanks
The 906 is a big improvement over the 609. I thought. i was not a big fan of the 609 though. the 906 just seemed to capture everything in a better way... not so veiled. maybe imagine a compromise between the 609 and the md421?
I dunno its always been hard for me to explain why I like one mic over another via text.... but I will give the 906 two thumbs up!
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Head

cool guys. i dig the responses so far. Keep em coming. I love microphones and agree its hard to nail down why one is better. But its a fun talk. I plan to pick these up soon, but I wouldnt mind getting a little more excited first so lets keep yapping about these mics.
Old 22nd May 2007
Gear Head

by the way hangman, what setting are you using on the 906 that makes it better to you over the 609?
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Addict
Ive used my i5 on snare and guitar cabs and the last thing I would say is hyped top end. If anything I would say it sounds darker to me.
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

bulldog, I've been using the 906 mainly for micing guitar cabs... but have also used it with drums. makes for a good tom mic, is fun to play around with on a snare too.
Although, because of the size of the head I don't like using it with drums unless I know the drummer knows what he's doing. don't like drummers hammering on my nicer mics... heh.
but as I said mostly using it for micing guitar amps. and I LOVE it for that.
its much more realistic sounding than a 57... and as i said in comparison o the 609 if sounded like a veil had been lifted between the amp and mic... and suddenly the guitar came through better... sounded more real.
the EQ switch is nice too.
I use this and an old Universal D20B on guitar cabs alll the time. and i can't think of anything I'd want in place of them... I only wish I had two more of the Universals.
Old 23rd May 2007
Here for the gear

::edit::
retracting my previous statement...
The test wasn't a fair one- it was a quick-fail/poorly executed one.
I found out my person that positioned the mics for the test made a mishap [don't know what page they were on]
I just went out to the test subjects location after reading the disagreeing comments and saw the mics pointing to different locations of the speaker. And they haven't been moved since the test.

This probably explains why I had such different results.
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

oh hey, also... theres an old thread on here comparing the 409,609,609s, and 906.

its an interesting thread. I never like the mp3 clip comparison idea... but for what its worth....
alot of people in the thread brought up one thing I didnt really emphasize, and thats the versatility of the 906.
Sennheiser 409/609/906 audio clips

Last edited by hangman; 23rd May 2007 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: forgot link
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Addict

I would agree 100 percent, not only on snare but guitars too, way more beef and less presence, in fact my singer usually uses a 57 at pratice, tried my i5 an hated it as it was too boomy.
For snare I could almost imagine taping a 57 and an i5 together for the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaqu View Post
Ive used my i5 on snare and guitar cabs and the last thing I would say is hyped top end. If anything I would say it sounds darker to me.
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Addict

Your i5 aint what I got. Is there some issue with QC? My i5 is way bigger in the mids and low end, not that that is always a good thing. By the way, my i5 has kick a 421 off the floor tom because of the extended low end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferous View Post
I recently picked up an i5 after hearing it replaced a lot of peoples 57s on this board.

I did a quick mic test to see what I heard difference wise between the i5 and the 57.

I found the i5 captured more of the mids to highs. While the 57 was more low and low-mid/mid. Blended together you get that 57 tone with more deffinition in the highs. Which I really liked. Again this was one quick test since I got the mic.

And for the $60 new on eBay I paid for it the i5's was a freakin' steal. Good mic for $100 or less. Once we get to micing drums again, I look forward to hearing how it does on snares or toms.
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Maniac

Heil PR20

dfegadSM57 or i5

only kidding.
Take a look at the Heil mics.
But the e906 is a great mic and so are the other 2.
Old 23rd May 2007
Jai guru deva om

I used a PR20 on snare for the first time last week, and was satisfied with the result. Crisp top end and pretty full bodied.

I totally disagree that an SM57 delivers more low / low-mid info than the i5. Quite the opposite, and that's where I dig the i5 on snare. The i5 has a smoother top than an SM57 but isn't necessarily brighter.

War
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Used to like the 57 on snare...... and then I tried the i5. Same character, bigger picture.........
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Head

I just got an I5, after having 57's forever. My experience is only on my guitar 4x12 cabs, only thru Germ pre.s (as that's all I have) .. I think the 57 is somewhat mid scooped , compared to the i5. I found the 57 to be "softer" than the i5 - the i5 has more of a forward, direct sound to me. I'm still experimenting with the pair on my 4x12s; I'm liking the i5 off axis and the 57 on axis (both about 3" away from a roaring cab).

I have a 906 too, just not digging it on heavy guitars. Seems like I could spend a lifetime just getting ultimate guitar tones- tinkering with mic position and a few mics..... My hats off to you pros who do it all. thumbsup
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

you've got the germ, now just put a AT4047 in front of a 10" blue celestion (driven by class A Fender black face)and you're there! I fxxkng promise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!heh YMMVheh
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Head

Get a Beyer m160 for guitars. Put it a foot off the speaker, make the amp sound great, run it through an API and be overjoyed.

We did a shootout on the snare a year ago with the 57, an I5, a Sennheiser e835, km184, and some others that I don't remember. The Sennheiser e835 was the winner. It was a liitle smoother in the high-mids than the other dynamics. The i5 is nice, little more scooped in the mids(800) than a 57. The 57 has a slight boost at about 2k which my ears dont like.

The 609 is way scooped in the mids, I don't use it.

I'd like to try the Heil pr20 though.

Just check the freq. curves on all the mics and you'll hear the differences more.
Old 23rd May 2007
Gear Maniac

Cool thing about the PR20 is, it comes with 3 different colored windscreens. You can pull the foam out of one of them and increase the clarity even more.
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Nut

samples...

We just made a comparison test between SM57, I5 and E906...

Here are the results for anyone who's interested in...
I like E906 the most because it sounds a bit more "in your face"
Attached Files

sm57.mp3 (560.1 KB, 1903 views)

i5.mp3 (560.1 KB, 1973 views)

906.mp3 (560.1 KB, 1928 views)

Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybulldog View Post
by the way hangman, what setting are you using on the 906 that makes it better to you over the 609?

Doesn't matter. The 906 is just an all around superior mic
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

i5 rocks i use that mixed with a sm57 to dual mic guitar cabs all the time and blend them...get awesome sounds...i also use it on top of snare with a 57beta underneath...(i like the beat underneath more then a regular 57 i dont know why)...always wanted a 609 but might just grab a 906...cant compare those for ya...also looking into the pr20 ive heard very good things...

but get an i5...it should be in all standard mic lockers...thats my feeling on it.
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
i5 rocks i use that mixed with a sm57 to dual mic guitar cabs all the time and blend them...get awesome sounds...i also use it on top of snare with a 57beta underneath...(i like the beat underneath more then a regular 57 i dont know why)...always wanted a 609 but might just grab a 906...cant compare those for ya...also looking into the pr20 ive heard very good things...

but get an i5...it should be in all standard mic lockers...thats my feeling on it.
yeah don't bother with the 609. the 906 can do what the 609 does, only better. PLUS other options. of all the sound options with the 906 I find the sounds that are the most like the 609 are most often the LEAST useful.
Old 26th July 2007
Lives for gear

I'm in love with my i5 and all my other Audix mics, fantastic value for the money.

the following clip is the i5 on a Mesa Stiletto Trident II in a ISOcab thru an API 512C (I did not move the mic at all, this is what I got by "eyeing" the slightly off axis position and hitting record)...the snare also has an i5 blended with a Groove Tubes GT44.

Supersonic rock clip 1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search