The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kali LP-6 Hiss?
Old 3rd March 2019
Kali LP-6 Hiss?

After years of mixing on headphones I finally got my room treated and am getting ready to buy studio monitors. I have pretty much decided to get a pair of Kali Lp-6s, but I've read they have a hiss because they use class D amps. That's made me question getting them and I'm now considering something like the KRK Rokit 5.

So do the LP-6s hiss and are there any other options that are better in this general price range?
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm sitting in front of a pair now and they don't hiss even with my ear right up to the tweeter.

Do have a listen to the Adam T-series too. They're my favourite affordable monitors at the moment.
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

Don't nearly all active monitors on the market use class-d amps with very few and rather expensive exceptions?
Old 13th March 2019
Deleted f183565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghole View Post
I'm sitting in front of a pair now and they don't hiss even with my ear right up to the tweeter.
Really?

Kali Audio
Quote:
Residual noise is in line with other speakers in this price range (under $500/pair for a 6")

Same thread
Quote:
Just picked up a pair of the LP-6 today and I'm listening right now.

To answer your question YES. I'd say every bit as bad as the lsr305 - maybe even worse.

The speakers themselves sound great. But with the residual noise with no input plugged in and the input adjust set to 0db on the back there is a lot of noise from the tweeter. So much so it would prevent you from using them on a desk if there was no music playing most of the time.
Mackie MR624 vs Kali LP-6
Quote:
I have a pair of Kalis and they do hiss, thanks to the lovely trend of Class D monitors, and it's driving me slightly mad ATM. I can hear it over 2-3ft away from the speakers too, I don't need to be close to them at all.
Old 19th March 2019
Here for the gear

they hiss but its not a problem at all. pretty minor. great entry level monitors!
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Fritz View Post
Lots of audio gear makes noise with no input plugged in and turned up. Nothing new and not a reflection of lack of quality.

Like mentioned above a bit of hiss should be nothing to worry about. You can't hear the hiss when you have program running though them. The hiss won't affect sonic quality.
Old 23rd September 2019
Here for the gear

I heard the infamous hiss today when I put my ear 5 cms close to the tweeter. It is so hard to notice otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Fritz View Post
Old 23rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Don't nearly all active monitors on the market use class-d amps with very few and rather expensive exceptions?
Not so sure. The class d trend is somewhat recent. Not everyone mentions the amp types in their literature either. The Yamaha HS series, it's hard to say but the heat sink makes me think those might still be class ab amps. Focal Alpha 65 - class AB. The Adam A7X is class d i think. So there's both. Class d is lighter, runs cooler and is more effiicient making it easier to put in bi-amp tri-amp monitor cabinets. Not sure if they might be cheaper to produce as well.
Old 24th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
Not so sure. The class d trend is somewhat recent. Not everyone mentions the amp types in their literature either. The Yamaha HS series, it's hard to say but the heat sink makes me think those might still be class ab amps. Focal Alpha 65 - class AB. The Adam A7X is class d i think. So there's both. Class d is lighter, runs cooler and is more effiicient making it easier to put in bi-amp tri-amp monitor cabinets. Not sure if they might be cheaper to produce as well.
Particular implementation is much more important than class of the amp.
It definitely doesn't apply, that Class-D = hiss.
Contrary one of quietest OEM amps in general with highest dynamic range are Class-D modules from Hypex, IcePower.. (those are being used in more expensive monitors)
But we're in budget category, where you naturally can find lot of compromises.
Also at cheaper monitors with digital crossovers (like at LSR) there is are A/D and D/A converter, which can also increase noise level and contribute to apparent his at quieter rooms.

For me, it's a pity, that some vendors doesn't have any in-between products price-wise.
Because for instance I like general sonic signature, translation even for cheap budget models (again for example I think LSRs are great for its price). But next step is almost 5 times more expensive and for pair we're looking to $1500. You'll got value for the, no question about that, but for lot of projects and use-cases it's bit too much.
On the other hand, if Harman (or Kali with model above LP) would decide to make middle ground product.. Where they would address hiss issues, further improved cabinet.. and managed to fit it to double price of their LSR budget models, it will be really breakthrough IMO.

Michal
Old 24th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Particular implementation is much more important than class of the amp.
It definitely doesn't apply, that Class-D = hiss.
Contrary one of quietest OEM amps in general with highest dynamic range are Class-D modules from Hypex, IcePower.. (those are being used in more expensive monitors)
But we're in budget category, where you naturally can find lot of compromises.
Also at cheaper monitors with digital crossovers (like at LSR) there is are A/D and D/A converter, which can also increase noise level and contribute to apparent his at quieter rooms.

For me, it's a pity, that some vendors doesn't have any in-between products price-wise.
Because for instance I like general sonic signature, translation even for cheap budget models (again for example I think LSRs are great for its price). But next step is almost 5 times more expensive and for pair we're looking to $1500. You'll got value for the, no question about that, but for lot of projects and use-cases it's bit too much.
On the other hand, if Harman (or Kali with model above LP) would decide to make middle ground product.. Where they would address hiss issues, further improved cabinet.. and managed to fit it to double price of their LSR budget models, it will be really breakthrough IMO.

Michal
Apparantley there's more coming from Kali soon. Keep an eye out
Old 24th September 2019
Here for the gear

Class D probably runs cooler. My Kalis don't have any heatsink and they are always cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Pretty puzzled by the folks here saying that the hiss is barely noticeable. Either I got a faulty set or I'm concerned for these peoples' ears.

Just got a pair of these a few days ago. I'm still trying to decide if I can live with the hiss. It keeps making me think I tracked something with too audible of a noise floor or that I accidentally left an annoying fake analog hiss setting on with a plugin. It's incredibly noticeable and irritating. And a bit of a shame because I also bought these thinking I would use them to re-amp some already recorded tracks with a microphone, but that hiss would be way too loud in the recordings.

In that frustrated place of "well this isn't exactly what I wanted to buy," but also "but they're mostly doing the job and do I really want to bother with returning them?"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search