The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Took the Plunge - Focusrite LS56 -------> UAD Apollo x6 Audio Interfaces
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Head

Took the Plunge - Focusrite LS56 -------> UAD Apollo x6

Had a LS56 since 2011; same pc since 2012 (3770K)

Just completed a new Windows 10 Thunderbolt 3 / UAD Apollo x6 rig

No hype, the difference is ridiculous. Many already know, this is for some who are on the fence.

The on screen mixer is just s t u p i d easy to use and stunningly beautiful.

Even the included effects like 1176SE and Channel Strip are actually err, effective. What they do to an internet audio stream alone is worth it.

That is all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UAD rig - What worked for me. Also posted in Computer section.

Hopefully, this helps someone save massive amount of time and frustration.

All from Newegg. Hard to beat pricing on most items (sign up for their Blast emails and be patient if you can)
  • Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850PX 850W 80+ Platinum
  • N82E16813145110 GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard 1
  • N82E16819117827 Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630 1
  • N82E16820232765 G.SKILL Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C19D-32GIS 1
  • N82E16835100007 Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G 1
  • N82E16835608045 Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans

- Used old Fractal case and XFX RX 580 8GB Video card.

Last edited by votive; 1st March 2019 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: Windows 10 Thunderbolt 3 - clarity
Old 6th March 2019
Manufacturer

Hi votive,
Thanks for the report and glad to hear you're happy with your new setup!
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Head

Hey UA. Thanks. Very Happy!

It will be a bit but I''m going to bump up to the Apollo x16
for higher IO.

Only small gripe, some of the plugs should be larger or re-sizable
but not a show stopper.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Head

When I upgraded from a Scarlett 2i2 to an Apollo Twin, the difference was pretty massive even just in terms of conversion, pres, and monitoring, not even considering how great some of the plugins are.

Going up a tier of conversion and preamp can really be worth it.

The Audient interfaces are probably the best value that I've come across though. Hard to believe how good they sound for the price.
Old 10th March 2019
Gear Head

JohnEdson - good info on Audient.

I was looking at their desktop bit for the guitar part of the studio,
but I'm sold on having things racked.

The UAD x6 continues to be phenomenal. It seems once you make a
change in console and forget to save settings and reboot/close, it saves it for you.

The LS56 MixControl -not so much and confusing as quantum physics.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
I have a focusrite saffire pro 26 now, and looking into an interface upgrade. Does apollo x6 work with an x99 system with a thunderbolt 3 pcie card? On the uad website it says that the tb3 connection must be "built in" and I am having trouble understanding if the Tb3 has to come out of mobo or it could work from a pcie card...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I remember years ago 'upgrading' from a Digidesign 002 to the LS56 and being quite content with it. Then years later changed to an Antelope Orion and the change was quite apparent. The LS56 is still a good unit for the price and I actually found a couple of the liquid preamp to be decent and very usable but its interface is clunky.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search