The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I’ve owned so many preamps....
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I agree, pres are pretty important. I listen to the Doors or Pet Sounds and the character of the desk is very audible. It’s like the sound preamps capture are 90% alike, but it’s that last 10% that is the icing on top that determines the character of the recording.
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Guru

Pres are VERY important. But the question of mixing and matching is a significant one. I like clean, transparent like Millennia. Not for everybody. The pres in the ULN-8 are also transparent. I can dirty them up with post fader character though.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
How often do you hear a sound and think "I'd really like that to be more muddy." Honest question, since I usually think of muddy as something to be avoided.

Also, is that a reference to the Tampa or one of the other pres?
Actually I´m referring to the Sytek´s after I A/B them with my Yamaha PM430 mixer.
But my true muddiness is the Soundcraft 500 and Fostex G16 if I want "lo-fi" vibe. Yikes

Last edited by ljona; 8th April 2019 at 04:15 PM..
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljona View Post
Actually I´m referring to the Sytek´s after I A/B them with my Yamaha PM430 mixer.
But my true muddiness is the Soundcraft 500 and Fostex G16 if I want "lo-fi" vibe. Yikes
Interesting. I've heard the Sytek's described as pretty clean.

I've still got a few Art Tube MP's lying around that add some lo-fi to things if needed. Muddy, gooey, blurry, etc. Although I'd like to try changing the tubes just for kicks. My friend tried some NOS tubes in those once and even though it's a starved-plate design it definitely changed the character of the pres...
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Nut
My own endless preamp lust is the reason I wanted us to make the Camden 500. The end-all be all: Millennia/Grace-Design clean... or a vibey transformery tubey preamp - suit to taste. In theory - it was the perfect preamp. In practice... well, I'll let you guys decide

Cheers all!

Sean from Cranborne Audio
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Maniac

That looks interesting! Add another to the list!
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

My main pre is the Buzz Audio MA 2.2 which is magic. But the Elysia Skulpters are pretty phenomenal, too. The Buzz and a couple of Skulpters are what I've been using.
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've still got a few Art Tube MP's lying around that add some lo-fi to things if needed. Muddy, gooey, blurry, etc. Although I'd like to try changing the tubes just for kicks. My friend tried some NOS tubes in those once and even though it's a starved-plate design it definitely changed the character of the pres...
I confirm that. I have an ancient Behringer mic200 which is actually a tube mp rip-off and changed the stock tube with a new one, just for fun, not hoping much. That has definitely improved the sound as well as the s/n ratio.
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Interesting. I've heard the Sytek's described as pretty clean.

Yes about the Sytek´s.
I recorded 2 or 4ch drums and the Sytek´s came out as bland, sterile, "muddy" and as interesting as going to the dentist
while the PM430 was full of punch, clarity and energy, a bit API style if you like. I was like cheeeeses, why doesn´t this thing got di out?!
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
Where I've noticed the biggest differences in mic amps is in the bottom end and low mids, clarity of punch and sustain. For instance try and track an 808 Kick or Sub Bass though an SSL E or G mic amp and what your tracking might sound more like a snake spitting venom than an actual instrument with sub or deep bass information.

To make what can be a long story short so to speak, having two mic preamps is a good place to be. One extremely neutral (for smart reasons said above) and the other capable of adding a bit of density and weight to the signal...and you're good to go.

At the moment I've divested down to my choice of 2. The Summit / Neve MPE-200 and a Great River. I will eventually get a Manley Voxbox for keeper if I see one for a good price. The reason being, it's the only mic pre that I have used where people said things like "this is the best bass and guitar sound I've ever played through. And wow this vocal sound is incredible" on a fairly consistent basis. With that said, I tracked an album that did incredibly well through MCI 600 series and Neve Prism preamps, both known to be notoriously shiit sounding.

As always Ymmv...
Love the snake analogy
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Re: the quote above, weren’t tons of albums done on MCI desks?
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebjam View Post
Perhaps the song transcended the sh***iness of the desk
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Plenty of people use desk pres to great success. IIRC, David Bowie's "Let's Dance" is all SSL 4k pres, including his lead vocal.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljona View Post
Yes about the Sytek´s.
I recorded 2 or 4ch drums and the Sytek´s came out as bland, sterile, "muddy" and as interesting as going to the dentist
while the PM430 was full of punch, clarity and energy, a bit API style if you like. I was like cheeeeses, why doesn´t this thing got di out?!
Sounds like you’re describing my M-Audio DMP3. I wonder how similar they are.
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds like you’re describing my M-Audio DMP3. I wonder how similar they are.
I´m not familiar with the DMP3 but if I quote a fellow slut

ShellTones
"I still use the Dmp3 as my clean preamp. It would take a preamp at the level of a John Hardy to get me to upgrade".
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
From Bae to Great River to Sebatron to Sytek to Jlm...... why do I feel like I won’t be happy until I get one of those damn yellow and blue Focusrite ISA Ones??? Aaargggg
For what it is worth it may be my favorite snare preamp. The phase and low cut are super handy and it’s overall pretty snappy. The best part is the impedance select function. You can try lots of settings and most dynamics really change tonality and transient response when you play with it.

There are better preamps that can do the same thing as this with a bit more color, but are much more expensive.
Old 1st May 2019
Never mind I bought the Daking MicPre Eq

Last edited by hello people; 3 weeks ago at 08:29 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
What preamps do they use in movies/ feature films? Would the same preamps we talk about here for audio also be used in film? I assume all those boom mics and microphones for on location dialogue need preamps too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
What preamps do they use in movies/ feature films? Would the same preamps we talk about here for audio also be used in film? I assume all those boom mics and microphones for on location dialogue need preamps too.
Sound Devices, Nagra, Sonosax, Aaton. The trade off is in portability can make fiddly workflow and these go for clean. They are in all in one units so not really modular.

I personally use a MixPre6M and it is a wonderful recorder.....If I want more color in a preamp I go in line level. It also can double as an interface. Nice to have everything at one's fingertips and not have to deal with a computer to record.....
Old 3 weeks ago
It took me buying quite a few preamps to realise they just don't make that much difference, it's all about the take and the emotion, and big picture stuff, like how good is the song, easy to loose track of that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Pueblo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Pueblo seems awesome. Wanna try!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Because you a frustratd musician who buys gear instead of gers better at music ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
Because you a frustratd musician who buys gear instead of gers better at music ?
I didnt know they were mutually exclusive
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Preamp lust can be a very expensive obsession. It really does not make all that much difference in the quality of your recordings, except for minuscule changes (not necessarily improvements, just changes) in how things sound on a microscopic level. Driving transformers into saturation makes a difference, but preamps are, on the whole, are either hairy or they are not. Every single hit song ever recorded would have still been a hit, and it have sounded almost exactly the same, had it been captured with different high quality preamps than the one(s) that were used. Usually one; the one that came with the board.

We notice these things because we sit for hours and obsess over fractional nuances in "flavor" and "feel." But how much are those nuances worth out in the world? Thousands of dollars? How much do they impact to the final recording at the discriminating-consumer level? I'm not talking about a $24 Art MP vs a Great River (although does anyone recall the apples vs oranges thread from years ago?), but the good stuff... Neve vs. Grace vs API, vs. Chandler vs AEA vs. Daking vs. Manley vs. Shadow Hills.

Go ahead.. record the bass guitar with a Daking instead of that UA610. The song won't fail in the market because of your blunder; nor will it be popular because you used the 610.

I know, I know... Shuddup! This is Gearslutz.
I couldn't agree more. After years and years of buying and trying every new mic pre that came along, I'm done. I never found one at any price that made my jaw drop and for me, I had to stretch my imagination to convince myself I actually heard any difference when there was a two thousand $ difference a couple times. I'm done chasing mic pres and will not buy any more ever! What I'm left with (and actually perfectly happy with) are a modded ART MPA Gold, a modded ART Pro MPA II, an NOS Shure M67, and a rare Grommes mic mixer/preamp. I feel no need for...API, Neve, Great River, Warm, Chandler, etc etc etc. I'm sure I'll get slammed for this..."but you haven't tried the Silver Bullet" "You haven't heard X,Y, or Z." "Your ears must be tin" ...blah, blah, blah
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Guys other than the Sound Devices I bought a UA 610 Solo as my hero pre. I do not regret it one bit and if you can't make it work you aren't using it properly. Honestly having one option (other than clean), is fine and I've really learned the 610. I looked at DAV and Daking and basically the 610 was on sale. When I grew up a preamp was a total luxury and I really don't get non professionals that buy a ton of gear.

Get one home run setup and really learn it. If you make demos I've recorded everything from horns to guitars/vocals and then some. I get drums out of house. I have a couple of LDC's and recorded an album which pros say sounds good. (honestly if I want blow away I'll hire.) I do hire for mix/mastering and have a great space for recording (other than the squeaky wood floor!). My point is buy a bunch of cheap and cheerful plug ins if you want to fool around, but buy a great chain and don't second guess yourself. Great records were recorded with less than a 610, Daking, DAV, etc, and worry about the environment sounding good and being in the groove for performance.....
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My "best" preamp, is the 'umble Studio Projects VTB-1.

It's a couple notches up sonically, from my "benchmark" Project Studio pre's.
(Mackie Onyx mixer & Blackjack)
Good enough for me, to get IMHO pro sounding results from my dynamic mics.

The Mackie Onyx pre's, are "good enough" for me, to get the same out of my condensers.

FWIW my favorite pre I've ever heard firsthand, is the Little Labs LMNOpre.
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search