The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best bang for the buck hardware Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

best bang for the buck hardware

hello you guys i need some quick help and suggestions.

im in the search for some gear

im in the budget from as low ass 150 to 500 bucks or to maybe 1k

i want to start buying gear like eqs compressors
tube pre amps etc.

basically the best bang for the buck that won't kill my wallet on the first gear i purchase

I've used some very high end gear like manley avalon neve ssl and stuff iike that but at the moment im very tight with money.

i have a mini studio i only record guitars bass and vocals and the rest is usually digital from my daw.

monitors i have hs7 i have a artist mix from avid.
dbx 1066
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Klark Teknik Pultec, 1176 & LA2A!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Stam Audio but get ti quick before their business model changes.

Andre
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

what mics you got? when you're at the beginning of the dollar curve then put the money into moving parts. that's mics, speakers, (also the room).. you're paying for the engineering here of very tricky things...

In a while, when your room and monitors are awesome you'll probably be able to clearly tell the difference between (amazingly competent and cheap nowadays) plugins and real compressors etc and you'll be able to make your productions better because of that, so maybe get some hardware stuff at that point and delve into the itb/otb thing and see if it works for you.. but i promise you this, at that point you'll also be able to tell how good the mics you put $$ into sounded all along, and you'll be glad you did, because that's every damn recording you made in the meantime.

good mics through a basic modern interface still sounds like good mics, still give you their full benefit, really. a crappy mic through a load of awesome boxes of electronics still sounds like a crappy mic and you're turd-polishing at that point.

so get a top end dynamic - RE20,SM7,MD441
then maybe a nice ribbon, maybe the new nohype one or a beyerdynamic m160
(get a cloudlifter/fethead/dynamite if your interface can't quite manage the gain)

that way you'll be making beautiful recordings.. no messin, no complication.

Then start putting money/time/effort into your room to bring out the absolute best those HS7s can deliver.

does this sound like Boring Groundwork? maaaan, I hope not.. but I understand if it does... Hopefully you can get the same glee of ownership from an MD441/M160 as you would from a cheap/mid box of electronics..

Even when you have a huge studio you'll still own and use those mics!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru
FMR anything......

I would look into No Hype for ribbons
DAV for preamps
Monoprice for guitar amps
Old 21 hours ago
Here for the gear

at the moment i have hs7 studio monitors and i have a focusrite scarlet 18i20i i have a dbx1066

i am going to build my semi pro studio in my garage maybe next month and i want to slowly start to invest in equipment

i do want to get a better interface soon i think that might be my first thing i buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
what mics you got? when you're at the beginning of the dollar curve then put the money into moving parts. that's mics, speakers, (also the room).. you're paying for the engineering here of very tricky things...

In a while, when your room and monitors are awesome you'll probably be able to clearly tell the difference between (amazingly competent and cheap nowadays) plugins and real compressors etc and you'll be able to make your productions better because of that, so maybe get some hardware stuff at that point and delve into the itb/otb thing and see if it works for you.. but i promise you this, at that point you'll also be able to tell how good the mics you put $$ into sounded all along, and you'll be glad you did, because that's every damn recording you made in the meantime.

good mics through a basic modern interface still sounds like good mics, still give you their full benefit, really. a crappy mic through a load of awesome boxes of electronics still sounds like a crappy mic and you're turd-polishing at that point.

so get a top end dynamic - RE20,SM7,MD441
then maybe a nice ribbon, maybe the new nohype one or a beyerdynamic m160
(get a cloudlifter/fethead/dynamite if your interface can't quite manage the gain)

that way you'll be making beautiful recordings.. no messin, no complication.

Then start putting money/time/effort into your room to bring out the absolute best those HS7s can deliver.

does this sound like Boring Groundwork? maaaan, I hope not.. but I understand if it does... Hopefully you can get the same glee of ownership from an MD441/M160 as you would from a cheap/mid box of electronics..

Even when you have a huge studio you'll still own and use those mics!
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear
Take a look at advanced Audio for mics and Revive Audio for outbaord.
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

i'd say your scarlett and your hs7s are fine. seriously, i'm still gonna encourage you to get good mics. i know the boxes of electronics are tempting......
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarortiz24 View Post
hello you guys i need some quick help and suggestions.

im in the search for some gear

im in the budget from as low ass 150 to 500 bucks or to maybe 1k

i want to start buying gear like eqs compressors
tube pre amps etc.

basically the best bang for the buck that won't kill my wallet on the first gear i purchase

I've used some very high end gear like manley avalon neve ssl and stuff iike that but at the moment im very tight with money.

i have a mini studio i only record guitars bass and vocals and the rest is usually digital from my daw.

monitors i have hs7 i have a artist mix from avid.
dbx 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
i'd say your scarlett and your hs7s are fine. seriously, i'm still gonna encourage you to get good mics. i know the boxes of electronics are tempting......
If most of your recordings are digital, I'd go with something you can track those live elements with as well as digital. Afterwards, you can mix with. I'd say grab a Zulu. So many colors and variations. Drive it hard for more color or less for less color. Mic's are only good for live recording. Compressors and eq's are good and important but once you start tracking thru the zulu, your itb processors will sound better,IMO. Your tracks will start to fatten up with color and become easier to mix. Then I would start with different flavors of compression. Someone mentioned Revive audio modded comps. Couldn't agree more. The modded dbx's and symetrix comps are great for drums/bass.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
If most of your recordings are digital, I'd go with something you can track those live elements with as well as digital. Afterwards, you can mix with. I'd say grab a Zulu. So many colors and variations. Drive it hard for more color or less for less color. Mic's are only good for live recording. Compressors and eq's are good and important but once you start tracking thru the zulu, your itb processors will sound better,IMO. Your tracks will start to fatten up with color and become easier to mix. Then I would start with different flavors of compression. Someone mentioned Revive audio modded comps. Couldn't agree more. The modded dbx's and symetrix comps are great for drums/bass.
yeah should be a few cheap s/h zulus floating about when he gets the rack version released...

looks like the 18i20i can do external insert fx while tracking:
How do I set up and use an external effects processor as an insert when tracking in Focusrite Control? – Focusrite Audio Engineering
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

What daw are you using? You should be able to do hardware inserts in your daw.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
What daw are you using? You should be able to do hardware inserts in your daw.
that would be after digital, though. For tracking it's good to be able to analogue inserts - i *think* the focusrite may be able to do that...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search