The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question: XLR to RCA transformer Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Question: XLR to RCA transformer

Greetings - anyone know the best way (or at least a good way) to transform a balanced XLR output to an unbalanced RCA input?

I'm looking into purchasing a 4 or 8 channel preamp with balanced XLR outs that will go into a Tascam 38.

Tascam 38 input specs:
Input Impedance: 50k ohms, unbalanced
Maximum Source Impedance: 2.5 k ohms
Nominal input level: -10dbV (0.3 V)
Maximum Input Level: +18dB (8.0 V)

A couple of options I've come across are here - not sure if these qualify though:
1) Sescom - Sescom AUD-RCA-XLR 1-Channel RCA to XLR Unbalanced to Balanced Audio Converter
2) Tascam LA-81mkii - Tascam LA-81MKII 8-Channel Balanced to Unbalanced Line Amplifier, New

Thanks very much for your input ar ar.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

You're talking about line level, not mic level? Connect XLR hot (pin 2) to the RCA pin, XLR ground (pin 1) to the RCA outer bit, and don't connect XLR cold (pin 3) at all. Also, be aware that if you're connecting pro gear to prosumer gear, the nominal level of the pro gear may be around 14 dB hotter.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Yes I believe the XLR outputs would be line level.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I've used Ebtech Hum Eliminators for conversion for years. They're passive units. But you have a million options. You might want to check out stuff made by Samson. There's also Radial to consider, but their stuff tends to be really expensive.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lee View Post
Greetings - anyone know the best way (or at least a good way) to transform a balanced XLR output to an unbalanced RCA input?
Don't forget the ART T8 ... it's a 1U 8-channel device.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lee View Post

I'm looking into purchasing a 4 or 8 channel preamp with balanced XLR outs that will go into a Tascam 38.

Tascam 38 input specs:
Input Impedance: 50k ohms, unbalanced
Maximum Source Impedance: 2.5 k ohms
Nominal input level: -10dbV (0.3 V)
Maximum Input Level: +18dB (8.0 V)

A couple of options I've come across are here - not sure if these qualify though:
1) Sescom - Sescom AUD-RCA-XLR 1-Channel RCA to XLR Unbalanced to Balanced Audio Converter
2) Tascam LA-81mkii - Tascam LA-81MKII 8-Channel Balanced to Unbalanced Line Amplifier, New

Thanks very much for your input ar ar.
Depends on the output circuit; IF its Transformer output then: XLR Pin 2 to RCA Tip, XLR Pin 3 to RCA shield, don't connect XLR Pin 1.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Depends on the output circuit; IF its Transformer output then: XLR Pin 2 to RCA Tip, XLR Pin 3 to RCA shield, don't connect XLR Pin 1.
I don't think that's what he means by "transformer." He's using the word as a synonym for "adapter."
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I don't think that's what he means by "transformer." He's using the word as a synonym for "adapter."
IM simply referring to IF he uses a mic pre with transformer balanced out this is the config I would use..

Quote: I'm looking into purchasing a 4 or 8 channel preamp with balanced XLR outs that will go into a Tascam 38.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I like to use a transformer for this. The best ones are expensive, cheap ones not. Depends on how much you want to invest. Of course, cheapest is a direct wire adapter as already described.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
It seems there are two things to think about (wiring and dB Levels) - and it also sounds like 'adapter' is a better term to use.

If this helps, a few of the preamps I'm looking at are the Line Audio 8MP, Sytek MPX-4Aii and the Warm Audio WA-412. From what I can tell, the Line Audio and Sytek don't have output transformers, but the Warm Audio does. I'm still learning obviously so feel free to correct.

Last edited by Don Lee; 6 days ago at 01:46 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search