The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM48 Broken? or Repairable? Dynamic Microphones
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Shure SM48 Broken? or Repairable?

Hey, first time posting on a forum... hope someone can help me.

I bought an SM58 from eBay for £24, the description basically said that there no external damage and they don't know what is wrong with it, never tried to have it fixed. I messaged the seller to asked how it was previously used, they said it was mainly used for home recording, never used at gigs.

So I assumed maybe that the wires could have come off inside, but after investigating - the green and yellow wires are both attached in the correct place and the blue/red wires are also connected.

The only thing I noticed that I don't know much about was that on the solder where the wires are connected the was some little brown spots that almost look like a kind of brown varnish / popcorn shell looking stuff. So i took a small flat head screwdriver and it easily flaked off.

Again still not sound when plugged in, does the brown substance mean anything? is the capsule blown? I have no idea.

I really appreciate any help given

Thanks,
Connor.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

make sure its not a fake sm58. if its not i guess you could buy a new one and then return the broken one if its fake. (lol)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePiesForYou View Post
make sure its not a fake sm58. if its not i guess you could buy a new one and then return the broken one. (lol)
It doesn't look that new but it looks like its been used very little, Its 100% genuine SM58, Ive done the research on it. I just wonder if i remove all the solder one by one and reconnect every wire, would this solve it?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

What are you plugging it into (interface, preamp, powered speaker/PA)?
Are you using an XLR to XLR cable? Any adapters? Have you tried another cable?
Do you have another mic that you know works?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
What are you plugging it into (interface, preamp, powered speaker/PA)?
Are you using an XLR to XLR cable? Any adapters? Have you tried another cable?
Do you have another mic that you know works?
At the moment I've only tried plugging it into a karaoke amplifier, this has been used for many years and is of good quality. Ive tried a few different cables XLR to JACK.

I haven't got anything set up to try it through an XLR-XLR. But I have a feeling it still won't work.

I have 2 fake Beta58A's and 2 Behringer mic's that all work through he karaoke amp.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

imgur.com/a/mlb6Muu

Here are 2 close ups on the wiring.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorRundell View Post
imgur.com/a/mlb6Muu

Here are 2 close ups on the wiring.
Those solder joints do look alright. The brown flaky stuff could be solder flux.

In between the capsule and the XLR wires there should be a small transformer, fixed in there with some sort of glue. The connections might have broken there? Have a look down into the body.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Those solder joints do look alright. The brown flaky stuff could be solder flux.

In between the capsule and the XLR wires there should be a small transformer, fixed in there with some sort of glue. The connections might have broken there? Have a look down into the body.

Thank you, I’ll have another look. But to be honest the glue holding the wires inside the body looks okay, doesn’t seem like the wires could have pulled out from there. Is there anything else that it could be? I can’t decide whether to look inside the capsule or not, there a little 6 or 8 mm nut. I’m tempted to open it but don’t want to make things worse.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search