The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to x-over between main and sub externally ? Studio Monitors
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

How to x-over between main and sub externally ?

After asking for recommendations for a sub in this thread : Choosing the right sub, with no experience,
I was consistently advised to consider a home theater sub, as they offer better bang for buck than monitoring subs.

Following that advice, I'm considering an SVS SB-1000, or perhaps an SB-2000. ( SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer | 12-inch Driver | 500 Watts RMS )

However, here's my question : since consumer subs don't have an embedded crossover, and I'd like to relieve my nf monitors from some of the workload, then I would need an external crossover, right ?

Do crossovers exist that are intended for control rooms ? I can't find any. Can I use a PA crossover, without compromising my Eve SC208 monitors' excellent sound quality ? ( EVE Audio SC208 - 200W 2-way 8" Studio Monitor with AMT Tweeter & DSP Control ). How about this one for example: DBX 223 Xs – Thomann ?

Thanks
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

It might brutalize your budget but the Bryston 10B-Sub is wonderful. It's what I use to cross between my ATC 100s and subs.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredje View Post
... I'd like to relieve my nf monitors from some of the workload, then I would need an external crossover, right ?

Do crossovers exist that are intended for control rooms ? ...
I use two dbx 234XL crossovers in my studio. One handles the 3-way duties for the large room speakers, and the other is simply doing low-pass at ~55Hz for a subwoofer that's working together with the Adam A7X's running full range.

All is well. The THD+N figure of 0.004% (-87dB) is believable in that they're very clean, and the >114dB dynamic range figure seems well-supported too in my experience with these. I had forgotten that they were there until you asked the question.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
It might brutalize your budget but the Bryston 10B-Sub is wonderful. It's what I use to cross between my ATC 100s and subs.
Wow ! I looked up the price, and it's brutal indeed. I bet you are very happy with it.
But besides it being completely out of my budget (because if I had $5000 to spend, I would buy a professional monitoring sub with integrated xover anyway), I don't think my room's approximate acoustics justifies it.

Thank you both for your answers. They seem to cover both ends of the arc extending from what is good enough to what is best.

I'll probably settle for good enough.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

The dbx units are good crossovers, so you're not putting poor quality stuff into your chain.

Be sure to use the "mono sum" switch on the back to combine the LF of both channels to send to the sub. And experiment with your crossover points to find the best solution for your gear and room. (It isn't always where the published specs would indicate.) And, as always, proper placement of your sub is one of the biggest factors in realistic extended bass and seamless transition from monitor to sub.

Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search