The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
512v........512c 500 Series Preamps
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
512v........512c

With the 512v being fairly new, and people dropping their 512c units for the new model you can find 512c units for $600 very easily. 512v units are slim to non existent in the used market. Does it make sense to pony up for a new V unit or buy a used C unit. Is the 512v that much better that I should A. Wait for used units or B. Pay the additional $$$. I'm interested in this "api" sound.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

The big thing about the 512V is the output fader. I have a friend who replaced his 512c's with v's so that he can go right from them to his converters without patching to the console for an output fader when he wants to drive the preamp harder.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

The "output" knob on the V is actually an input to a second gain stage, not just a passive trim. The V isn't just a good preamp, with a reamp box in front of it it's really nice for saturation of whatever. The C is great, the V is greater.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The "output" knob on the V is actually an input to a second gain stage, not just a passive trim. The V isn't just a good preamp, with a reamp box in front of it it's really nice for saturation of whatever. The C is great, the V is greater.
I did not realize that.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I did not realize that.
When it was in Beta they sent me one to check out and I opened it up.
Old 4 days ago
500 series nutjob

i am a fan of the 512V not replaceing the 512Cs but in the futer when i grab more, it will likely be the 512V.

but i will not pass on a bang up barging for 512c pres.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i am a fan of the 512V not replaceing the 512Cs but in the futer when i grab more, it will likely be the 512V.

At NAMM I went to talk to the API guys and asked if they were going to phase out the C, and they said they had originally figured they would, but that demand for the C hasn't slackened much. That there are lots of people out there who have no idea why you'd want to pay extra to make something less clean. I get that.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 4 days ago at 11:11 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post

Yeah, I'm not going to ditch my 512c's, but I'd really like a pair of v's.

I guess they saw what CAPI was doing and figured they should get in on the game.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I guess they saw what CAPI was doing and figured they should get in on the game.
There was also me and apparently several other people haranguing them at every trade show. Before they came out with the V I made trimmers with transformers for my C's, but I'd take the V over the C in a heartbeat.
Old 3 days ago
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There was also me and apparently several other people haranguing them at every trade show. Before they came out with the V I made trimmers with transformers for my C's, but I'd take the V over the C in a heartbeat.
agree!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search