The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Latch Lake 1100 Praise!
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Latch Lake 1100 Praise!

I've worked with the larger Latch Lake stands a lot in the past, but never the newer 1100. I have a smaller studio with 10 ft. ceilings, so I figured it would be PLENTY stand for my needs. I have an old RCA PB-90 that's over 8 lbs, so it's heavier than a 44BX. I like using it on drums for minimal mic things, but have had panic attacks with it on other stands. I've had bad experiences with the larger ultimate stand that a lot of people like, so I decided to just bit the bullet and grab the 1100.

Wow, this thing is rock solid. My anxiety is gone and I feel absolutely fine leaving the beast out on the stand. I tried it today (for the first time because I couldn't physically get it in that position with any other stand) over the kit and it was pretty dark sounding, I've found on drums it shines closer in. I included a quick clip of the PB-90 in close and lower. The playing is pretty crappy, but I threw some EQ/Compression on it and a bit of the waves Abbey Road Chamber since I haven't used it much. I can finally stop worrying and get that thing where it needs to be!

Next on the list is to grab the Latch Lake spin grip (I thought it came with one) and their Xtra Boom. I do a lot of vocals where I pair the RCA up with a tube or condenser, it would be nice to have them both on this stand over/under each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Latch Lake 1100 Praise!-20190207_170925.jpg   Latch Lake 1100 Praise!-20190207_172957.jpg   Latch Lake 1100 Praise!-20190207_175921.jpg   Latch Lake 1100 Praise!-20190207_175955.jpg  
Attached Files

Latch Lake Drums Test.mp3 (1.57 MB, 867 views)

Last edited by andersmv; 8th February 2019 at 10:01 PM..
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Maniac

That’s odd, I have 4 of those, bought new form Sweetwater when they first came out a few years ago, and they all came with spin grips....
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
That’s odd, I have 4 of those, bought new form Sweetwater when they first came out a few years ago, and they all came with spin grips....
I called a friend of mine this afternoon that has two of the 1100's and he said his came with the spin grips as well. He was part of the first order batch (When they were still $299), so maybe they only did that for a little while and stopped?

At any rate, I emailed Latch Lake and will report back. I've got my Triad Orbit M1-R ball joint on the end for the time being, but it's only good for hanging the mic down for a singer (Or like I have it for the close/low drum picture). I'll need that Latch Lake spin grip for the RCA.

I'm also not sure why I can't get the pictures to load right side up. I tried...
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

My 1100 did not come with the spin grip, but definitely an essential addition. My 44 pretty much lives on the stand.

The Ultimate I used for years and hated passionately sits in the barn breezeway and serves as a perch when the wrens are nesting in the old swallow mud nest around the light socket. About all it's good for.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
My 1100 did not come with the spin grip, but definitely an essential addition. My 44 pretty much lives on the stand.

The Ultimate I used for years and hated passionately sits in the barn breezeway and serves as a perch when the wrens are nesting in the old swallow mud nest around the light socket. About all it's good for.
I had two of those Ultimate stands completely give out me, I just do not trust them. I know a LOT of people use them and say they're great, but that hasn't been my experience. The last studio I worked in had one of them, along with a $100 guitar center version of it with the cog teeth. I always used the cheaper guitar center one, I never touched the Ultimate.

The 1100 will get a lot of use, but again it was more for my RCA PB-90. It's heavier than a 44 and it's a 1932, so the first year RCA released ribbons. It's got a rare sound stage mount as well, so it's irreplaceable. It was well worth the extra money to me so it actually gets used and not babied....
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I had two of those Ultimate stands completely give out me, I just do not trust them. I know a LOT of people use them and say they're great, but that hasn't been my experience.
Maybe to hang a stereo bar with SDC's over a drum kit. Otherwise hard to position, the clutches are sh!t and anything heavier the 5 pounds, I'd have to hang a weight on the other end to counter balance. They suck.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

I went ahead and did a video review, you can see the link in my original post.
Old 8th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post

I absolutely love my 1100, which also did not come with a spin grip. I also have a 2200 which I love equally for different applications and the added flexibility, and it, thankfully, did come with the spin grip. Awesome attachment.

Ultimate Support stands are not even comparable. It's a different class of stand all together. They are fine for standard straight stand or slight boom angle applications with moderately light (and affordable mics. Probably somewhere between On Stage and K&M boom stands quality and stability wise, none of which are even in the same league as anything by Latch Lake. It's a whole different ball game.
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Addict

The video review above is appreciated very much at Latch Lake.

The micKing 1100 never shipped with a Spin Grip as a standard item. The Spin Grip has always been an accessory for the 1100. The Latch Lake Pro Pak 1 does include a Spin Grip with a micKing 1100 and 3 Xtra Booms for $599.

I always wanted the Spin Grip to be standard but it pushed the micKing 1100 price up too much.
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Addict

Love my 1100s, Spin Grips and Xtra Booms.

Not a big surprise but I could not get the Xtra Boom to support an AEA Ace as I was positioning two mics for singer/songwriter on a single 1100. That AEA Ace is over 7lbs of mic, same as a 44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A. Roberts View Post
The video review above is appreciated very much at Latch Lake.

The micKing 1100 never shipped with a Spin Grip as a standard item. The Spin Grip has always been an accessory for the 1100. The Latch Lake Pro Pak 1 does include a Spin Grip with a micKing 1100 and 3 Xtra Booms for $599.

I always wanted the Spin Grip to be standard but it pushed the micKing 1100 price up too much.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, good to know I never missed out! Got to say, Latch Lake stands are the thing I wish I'd bought many years ago. They just make handling microphones so much more predictable and easy. I don't think the Pro Pak 1 was available when I got my 1100, but that is an awesome set of tools.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Latch Lake Pro Pak 1 does include a Spin Grip with a micKing 1100 and 3 Xtra Booms for $599.
Thanks Jeff! I saw the Pro Pak and was tempted, but decided against it right now. I'll end up basically piecing that together over the next few months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Love my 1100s, Spin Grips and Xtra Booms.

Not a big surprise but I could not get the Xtra Boom to support an AEA Ace as I was positioning two mics for singer/songwriter on a single 1100. That AEA Ace is over 7lbs of mic, same as a 44.
Ya, that's a lot to ask of anything without a counter weight. I've really enjoyed pairing my Vanguard V13 with my RCA PB-90 on folky/small arrangement vocals. I'm planning on putting the PB-90 on a spin grip and the V13 on the Xtra Boom to positioning it under the RCA. I'm getting tired of the mess of putting them both on separate stands and not feeling comfortable extending the RCA out from a normal stand.

Not to mention, putting a mic on the 1100 for a vocalist and extending the arm out really wide is nice as it gives them more freedom to move their body/feet/hands without worrying about knocking a mic stand over. Not to mention, it looks cool too! To quote an artist I had in yesterday doing vocals: "Wow, that's like a real mic stand. I feel like a rock star!". Mission accomplished, I guess....
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

Got an Xtra Boom and Spin Grip. It's great to finally get my RCA and Vanguard V13 on one stand, I use them a lot together for folky vocals. It's also been pleasant discovering how easy it is to move a pair of mic's around the piano, well worth the extra money!
Attached Thumbnails
Latch Lake 1100 Praise!-1125656275403565475.jpg   Latch Lake 1100 Praise!-122632352264253775.jpg  
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

I'm just going to keep adding fun setups to this thread. Drums today, and I've never been big on "overheads". I love putting my AEA R88 diagonally across the set between the ride and rack tom, it does a good job of centering the snare and kick while giving everything else a really nice Left/Right spread. Everything going off the 1100 with a spin grip on the RCA, an Xtra Boom with the spin grip that came with the R88 as well as a triad orbit ball joint spin grip allowing the R88 to hang down... Ya, I had to think about that one for a minute before setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Latch Lake 1100 Praise!-52367748_332392504051547_703421087781444136_n.jpg  
Old 21st March 2019
Lives for gear

Had some guys swing by the other day to do a few quick demo's. The 1100 and Xtra Boom were great!

Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Another crazy little setup, it would have been a real mess to do this with multiple stands...

Old 25th April 2019
Gear Guru

I have the 1100 and love it - but I did also get a 4lb counterweight as well to better balance the arm without having too much strain on the swivel.

As the 4lb weight can screw into the standard 2lb weight, I can go up to a 6lb counterweight.
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Cool rug!

Quote:
Another crazy little setup, it would have been a real mess to do this with multiple stands...

Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Cool rug!
It is a really cool rug! It's Persian (Iranian) from the Isfahan region made by Mirjalali, one of the master weavers in the region. I lived in Kuwait for a little while when I was a kid about a year after the first gulf war. Picked up a lot of nice rugs for really cheap, this is probably the nicest one and I only pull it out occasionally when I know there aren't going to be a lot people in their 20's running around with beer!
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

How cool. I've never seen one with that kind of border. Good idea to keep it from the young spillers.

Quote:
It is a really cool rug! It's Persian (Iranian) from the Isfahan region made by Mirjalali, one of the master weavers in the region. I lived in Kuwait for a little while when I was a kid about a year after the first gulf war. Picked up a lot of nice rugs for really cheap, this is probably the nicest one and I only pull it out occasionally when I know there aren't going to be a lot people in their 20's running around with beer!
Old 3 weeks ago
I am so done with cheap stands. Less than two years ago, I bought an Ultimate Support boom stand to use primarily for drum OHs and vocal work. I thought I was upgrading my inventory of stands. It was heavy, expensive, and rolled on castors. Seemed to be the real deal initially. But it wasn't long before I noticed that no matter how much torque I applied to tighten the clutch, it still wouldn't grip the boom. Mics just rolled over from gravity. Finally, the whole thing fell apart. POS. Yesterday, I received two Latch Lake 1100s and Wow! That's a boom stand! My studio ceiling is 9½ feet in height, and the mighty 1100 is perfect. Built like a tank. Solid, plenty heavy enough to handle my largest tube mic and I'm completely knocked out. The Ultimate Support and an old On Stage boom that wore out are outside, waiting for my next dump run. Now that I know what a real mic stand is like, I'll never go back. It's Latch Lake forever. The grip on the boom is just animal! Love it!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nice! Save up for an Xtra Boom or two, they're fantastic as well!
Old 3 weeks ago
Cool video, too, I meant to say. I have to echo your last words: Good job, Latch Lake. Keep it up!

(That's what she said.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
Cool video, too, I meant to say. I have to echo your last words: Good job, Latch Lake. Keep it up!

(That's what she said.)
No pills required, unlike some other brands....

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I recently snagged a Latch Lake 2200 stand-boom combo to fly an ORTF pair of WA-47jr microphones for stereo mic situations. It is a heavy duty beast of a mic stand, I love it.

The Latch Lake 2200 boom stand inspires confidence and holds a relatively heavy pair of microphones exactly where I want with no drooping. The expandable boom has a nice long reach.

Getting the stereo pair of microphones exactly where I wanted them was impossible before I got this stand.

It was expensive, certainly a lot of other gadgets I'd like to have purchased for the $499 price but this stand and boom delivers what nothing else could, it puts the microphones in the right place and holds them there, brilliant!

I have one of those Ultimate boom stands (with skate wheels), it holds a stereo pair of 414 over my drum set. Ultimately it works but it's not a joy to use and it can not do what the Latch Lake 2200 does. The Latch Lake inspires confidence while the Ultimate is like a house of cards waiting to fall. I found a place where it holds the microphones without dropping but it can't compare to the Latch Lake 2200. The Ultimate boom could not handle a pair of WA-47jr and hold position nor could it put the pair of mic's where I needed them, the boom would not balance there and was out of reach, as a point of comparison.

Good luck and good music to all!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search