The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for "inexpensive" saturation boxes.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
The RND 542 is a very flexible saturation box. Once you understand how the different settings affect the EQ, it's quite powerful.
Yep it's a cool, not cheap for what it is but it works great !
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Head
Nobody mentioned DIYRE modules? They are probably the cheapest way to get all kinds of analog tones to your mixes. There are old diode, transistor, pentode etc. modules with old parts, even compressors and eq's and usually they cost around $50-$100 each.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Guru

they have been mentioned
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

I am planning on grabbing on those transformer boxes. To put it in front of an FMR RNLA. So I can drive the RNLA a bit and adds saturation while compressing with (and adding transformers artefacts to this transformerless compressor).
I am waiting for payments to arrive and I'll try that.
Still need to chose which transformer I will get.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Guru
I’m FMR land the pbc is a very nice saturator cheap for what it does....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I’m FMR land the pbc is a very nice saturator cheap for what it does....
Apparently it's quite nice and vibey indeed.
I really like the RNLA. Just used it on a pop vocal last time and really enjoyed its color. So looking forward to add a transformer in front of it to see how it sounds !
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

you could get an old Urie 535 eq for cheap. they got a trim pot that saturates nicely, plus input and output transformers. My bass sounds cool thru it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Apparently it's quite nice and vibey indeed.
I really like the RNLA. Just used it on a pop vocal last time and really enjoyed its color. So looking forward to add a transformer in front of it to see how it sounds !
Yeah it has a thick button and really is a levelling amplifier. No comp maven here but it does live on my chain doing a little coming in. The for real people I have coming in seem to like the sound and I personally find it helpful. I don't like a compressed sound but seems to be very gentle and natural.....
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
The RND 542 is a very flexible saturation box. Once you understand how the different settings affect the EQ, it's quite powerful.
Can you post some drum loops dry and through the rnd 542? Really interested in injecting some analog flavor into my tracks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChayaFFM View Post
Can you post some drum loops dry and through the rnd 542? Really interested in injecting some analog flavor into my tracks
There are definitely already a few such examples out there. Check youtube or maybe zenpro.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search