The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for "inexpensive" saturation boxes.
Old 8th February 2019
  #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Something cheap (targeted at home studio) about thee benefits of summing (which is utterly subtle even on high-end setup). With a diagram showing you how to pass your mix into RME Pres. I dunno.
I know it's just a diagram but ^^.
It combines multiple audio signals into one signal(x2), I don’t get what is fishy about it. It’s NOT a saturation thing. No one said it was.
Old 8th February 2019
  #122
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
It combines multiple audio signals into one signal(x2), I don’t get what is fishy about it. It’s NOT a saturation thing. No one said it was.
I never said it was don't worry.
Old 9th February 2019
  #123
I have the biggest passive monitor controller that Vintage Maker has. Certainly no complaints here. All passive components, resistor networks for attenuation, good switches, etc.
Old 10th February 2019
  #124
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheninja View Post
I have the biggest passive monitor controller that Vintage Maker has. Certainly no complaints here. All passive components, resistor networks for attenuation, good switches, etc.
What do you pass your mixes through ?
Old 10th February 2019
  #125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
What do you pass your mixes through ?
The analog stuff on my 2bus is a SSL comp clone going into a dual mono Pultec clone with stepped switches both from Home | PCB Grinder. I have Lundahl input and output transformers on the Pultec.
Old 10th February 2019
  #126
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheninja View Post
The analog stuff on my 2bus is a SSL comp clone going into a dual mono Pultec clone with stepped switches both from Home | PCB Grinder. I have Lundahl input and output transformers on the Pultec.
That looks really nice wasn't aware of that website.
Old 11th February 2019
  #127
Lives for gear
a few options for saturation on a budget:
http://https://sonicscoop.com/2017/0...s-on-a-budget/
Old 12th February 2019
  #128
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
a few options for saturation on a budget:
http://https://sonicscoop.com/2017/0...s-on-a-budget/
I remeber seeing this one. There are some good ideas indeed.
Old 12th February 2019
  #129
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
I bought an old Otari 8 track and MCI 4 track for $300 each. They are both early clones of an Ampex 440, in fact... the MCI JH-5 pres are identical. Both machines have transformer balanced line pres, the Otari even has transformer balanced mic pres. That's 12 pres at $50 each. Yeah, it all needs a recap but when finished should go a long way to warming up signal in my room. I may even keep going and recap/restore the whole machine. The Silver Bullet definitely tops of the list of lust for signal processors but at $2k will have to wait a while.
Old 5th March 2019
  #130
Village Idiot
 
Labs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheninja View Post
The analog stuff on my 2bus is a SSL comp clone going into a dual mono Pultec clone with stepped switches both from Home | PCB Grinder. I have Lundahl input and output transformers on the Pultec.


Gustav
Old 5th March 2019
  #131
Lives for gear
 
funkycam's Avatar
 

Just get a sansamp.
I got an 80's one off reverb for about $150.
Very fun & instant Tchad Blake style awesome.
Alternatively I use my Valley People Dynamite more than anything for messy color antics.
( I have the radial EXTC too but i seem to end up with the Dynamite or sansamp on twice as many things as patching in pedals to the radial)
Old 5th March 2019
  #132
Gear Addict
 

Guitar pedals Guitar pedals Guitar pedals Guitar pedals Guitar pedals Guitar pedals Guitar pedals Guitar pedals !
Did I mention Guitar pedals ?
Old 5th March 2019
  #133
Lives for gear
 
ProgFree's Avatar
 

I do not think that a single saturation stage will give everyone here the type of saturation that reminds that of the past. Just because in the old days tracking and mixing OTB would imply a lot of different stages of saturation, the signal in the end would have passed through a dozen transformers, tubes and end up in tape repeated times as well.

I have been experimenting since a while with preamps in series and have been quite happy. I use a first preamp to bring the signal to line level and then put in another pre taking that line level at unity gain and from there I fiddle a bit with the gain of the second pre until it starts to add a bit of its thing. Have been doing this with 1073, API 512V and UA LA 610, mostly for bass and dirty guitars and I like it more and more. Its all about gain staging. Now I am trying this with sources that are cleaner by nature and am loving it.

Last weekend I've followed a suggestion of a respected local engineer that I'm friends with and was tracking guitars, vocals and some percussion with bae 1073 pres into his SSL vhd pres fiddling with the second and third harmonic distortion of the vhd. There was immediately a familiar color in the sound, and that was because this was the small recreation of the track into Neve mix into SSL. Since I have a couple of BAE, API and UA LA 610 I am thinking of buying the ssl vhd for adding that familiar console tone. Now the tape part is what I'm gassing for, but actually not really sure that I need it. It depends on the day...

I wonder if other here have tried with preamps in series having an ssl or similar last.
Old 5th March 2019
  #134
Lives for gear
 
tedtan's Avatar
 

That's interesting, ProgFree. How hot are you hitting each stage?
Old 5th March 2019
  #135
Gear Guru
 
monkeyxx's Avatar
That reminds me that Brad's LTL "Mister Focus Stage II" does something like this, I almost bought one. I'm gonna try a CAPI VP28 soon, too.

I don't remember what's already been covered in this thread. An AML EZ1073 would also be a good line amp EQ I bet. I don't have one. You get Carnhill transformers, inductor EQ, and so on.
Old 5th March 2019
  #136
Lives for gear
 
ProgFree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtan View Post
That's interesting, ProgFree. How hot are you hitting each stage?
If I have the BAE or API as mic preamp I am going for one click or one unit more than the amount of pre gain needed for keeping the output gain at around -7 db (with the pad at unity) then back this off to get out at -18 to -15 to the second pre. If I'm using an la 610 I just keep it on the -10 gain and do the same with the level as for the others.
In the ssl I was afraid of adding too much coloration and now I regret that I did not add more. Was around 9 o'clock with the gain and the vhd at 2 to 3 o'clock then coming out at -18 to -15 to the converters. The ssl in this configuration when pushed sounds so cool, it adds very nice grit and a familiar compression to the sound. The 1073 into the ssl in this config it is a winner.
Old 6th March 2019
  #137
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
If I have the BAE or API as mic preamp I am going for one click or one unit more than the amount of pre gain needed for keeping the output gain at around -7 db (with the pad at unity) then back this off to get out at -18 to -15 to the second pre. If I'm using an la 610 I just keep it on the -10 gain and do the same with the level as for the others.
In the ssl I was afraid of adding too much coloration and now I regret that I did not add more. Was around 9 o'clock with the gain and the vhd at 2 to 3 o'clock then coming out at -18 to -15 to the converters. The ssl in this configuration when pushed sounds so cool, it adds very nice grit and a familiar compression to the sound. The 1073 into the ssl in this config it is a winner.
I mix on SSL desk (4G and 4E) and got some Neve 1073. I'll try that on strictly ITB produced tracks see how it goes !
Thanks for sharing this !!
Old 6th March 2019
  #138
Lives for gear
Get a Direct box, and reverse direct box. Use guitar pedals, they make a few different flavors.....
Old 6th March 2019
  #139
Lives for gear
 
ProgFree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
I mix on SSL desk (4G and 4E) and got some Neve 1073. I'll try that on strictly ITB produced tracks see how it goes !
Thanks for sharing this !!
You're welcome. Let us know what you think.
Old 9th March 2019
  #140
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
You're welcome. Let us know what you think.
I just did Neve + API today.
Although it sounds cool.
It can be a bit over the top for tracks already recorded with good pres.
But for stuff like really badly recorded tracks or amp sims for instance it do give a more "realistic" sound which is quite pleasant .
Old 9th March 2019
  #141
Gear Maniac
 

So... the bar has been raised as to what qualifies as inexpensive?
Old 9th March 2019
  #142
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbo View Post
So... the bar has been raised as to what qualifies as inexpensive?
No I am still looking for inexpensive stuff haha (even though I work with super expensive gear at the studio).
Old 9th March 2019
  #143
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
If you enjoy soldering more than making music, you can do what I did. Recently got an old Otari MX 7308 with transformer balanced mic/line pres and an MCI 4 track with transformer balanced JH-5 pres although one doesn't power on. $300 each machine. Who cares about tape, that's $50 per preamp. The downside is that they're all due for a recap (and they're both the size of a small fridge). Still have to build cables and haven't tried them out yet, but I'm guessing they'll be a little hissy until recapped.
Old 7th May 2019
  #144
Lives for gear
 

I update this thread because I recently get back to my parent's house for a holiday break. But as every freelancer, holiday break aren't 100% free of mixing duties.

I needed to saturate something (a vocal), but I wanted to do something with analog (for having as less digital artefacts as I could).

I first used my old pedalboard. I was surprised as how some overdrive pedal reacted well for this (some better than others, I was pleasantly surprised by the Wampler Paisley for instance even though the sweet spot is very small).
Then I found the first piece of outboard I bought and used in my life : The ART Pro Channel II.
And it sounds veeeery nice for saturated vocals. Using it in parallel gave me the effect I was after.

So this one (as the MPA pre as it was mentioned previously) did worked very well for obvious saturation.
The compressor is also nice, pushing the output of the compressor (the tube), or pushing the output of the pre into the compressor, without any GR then reducing the master output did worked very well.

I also had the feeling that pairing the compressor (this one or the VLA) with a 51x Tranformer box can make a killer combo. I'd love to try to do that (I already wanted to try that with my FMR RNLA but it I think it will fits better with this one).
Old 18th May 2019
  #145
Gear Addict
 
lowlou's Avatar
The colour modules from DIYre, Bart Hrk etc look like no-brainers... That is if you already have a lunchbox.

I will be testing Discrete saturation, US Pentode and British Console pretty soon. If they end up sounding right, I'll take the more expensive options from LTL : Royal blue, Mass Drivr... I read some very good reviews on Royal Blue somewhere in Gearslutz.

I'm looking for subtle and "expensive-sounding" colors to process individual tracks on, to make things sound like records (dreams...). After many months of research, the solution I found are these colours module.

They are mostly gain compensated and are designed to process line input, just turn the knob and hear the signal getting more interesting... I mean... What do you want more ? The concept is perfect, it can't be more streamlined :D !

Now it has to sound good to worth it... Finger crossed. I could see me buying a total of 12 stereo pairs if it lives up to my expectations.

On a side note, I totally agree, Analog Heat is a very good box, but sometimes I regret that the circuits are not more refined and so yeah I use it mainly as an effect box, not much as a mixing tool.

nice day folks
Old 18th May 2019
  #146
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlou View Post
The colour modules from DIYre, Bart Hrk etc look like no-brainers... That is if you already have a lunchbox.

I will be testing Discrete saturation, US Pentode and British Console pretty soon. If they end up sounding right, I'll take the more expensive options from LTL : Royal blue, Mass Drivr... I read some very good reviews on Royal Blue somewhere in Gearslutz.

I'm looking for subtle and "expensive-sounding" colors to process individual tracks on, to make things sound like records (dreams...). After many months of research, the solution I found are these colours module.

They are mostly gain compensated and are designed to process line input, just turn the knob and hear the signal getting more interesting... I mean... What do you want more ? The concept is perfect, it can't be more streamlined :D !

Now it has to sound good to worth it... Finger crossed. I could see me buying a total of 12 stereo pairs if it lives up to my expectations.

On a side note, I totally agree, Analog Heat is a very good box, but sometimes I regret that the circuits are not more refined and so yeah I use it mainly as an effect box, not much as a mixing tool.

nice day folks
Thanks dude, keep us updated
Old 18th May 2019
  #147
Gear Maniac
 

Effectrode Tube Drive and Tube Chorus are stomp boxes that saturate nicely. Tube Drive has so much grit I took the 12ax7 out of v1 and replaced with 12au7. I’ve used them to fatten synth patches, always fun.
Old 19th May 2019
  #148
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbo View Post
Effectrode Tube Drive and Tube Chorus are stomp boxes that saturate nicely. Tube Drive has so much grit I took the 12ax7 out of v1 and replaced with 12au7. I’ve used them to fatten synth patches, always fun.
Effectrode stuff seems to be top notch !!
I remember wanting their compressor when I was gigging more.
Old 19th May 2019
  #149
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Effectrode stuff seems to be top notch !!
I remember wanting their compressor when I was gigging more.
250 volt tube goodness! For a studio effect box the Blackbird might have the most control. Can’t say for sure as I’ve never tried it out. That little pc2a compressor is sweet and smooth at conservative settings. Gets spongey pillowy real fast though as you raise comp levels, which I suppose is another grunge effect.
Old 19th May 2019
  #150
Gear Addict
 

The RND 542 is a very flexible saturation box. Once you understand how the different settings affect the EQ, it's quite powerful.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
PHG / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
1
quintosardo / Product Alerts older than 2 months
60
ssyniu / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
5
121840 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
36
KeithMoonwannabe / Low End Theory
16

Forum Jump
Forum Jump