The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trident Series 68 Console Consoles
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict

Trident Series 68 Console

The product info has finally been posted on the Trident website: Trident 68 Console – Trident Audio Developments

Has anyone had a chance to check it out at NAMM?

Last edited by Highphi; 26th January 2019 at 05:40 PM..
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear
This?
YouTube
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

Nice, thanks for posting that link!
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

EQ lacks the high and low mid bands, which is seemingly less flexible than even the ATB. Sort of disappointing but I’ll suspend judgement until more info is available.
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMulcahy View Post
EQ lacks the high and low mid bands, which is seemingly less flexible than even the ATB. Sort of disappointing but I’ll suspend judgement until more info is available.
A lot of classic EQs are 3 band, like the 1073.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
A lot of classic EQs are 3 band, like the 1073.
Of course they are. Examples from API and numerous others could be cited. My point is that all of the other modern Trident / Toft consoles have a 4 band eq. The fact that this iteration was reduced to 3 disappointed me.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Of course they are. Examples from API and numerous others could be cited. My point is that all of the other modern Trident / Toft consoles have a 4 band eq. The fact that this iteration was reduced to 3 disappointed me.
Well, They are trying to have a variety of pricing options. That is a way to reduce costs. I think in the modern methodology, where so much work in done in the box, this is a smart move.
Old 28th January 2019
I agree the EQ is disappointing. Especially 'cause it's one of the main selling points for Trident. I'm wondering if doing the Creation Audio ATB mod for $5600 (for a 24) would yield a better console. I do like that moved the VU meters up to the meter bridge where you can actually see them.

Toft ATB modifications | creationaudiolabs
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, They are trying to have a variety of pricing options. That is a way to reduce costs. I think in the modern methodology, where so much work in done in the box, this is a smart move.
Yes, a cost saving measure it certainly is. It’s also tactical in the sense that it enhances the viability of the 78. Someone looking for a Trident console with the ‘legendary’ eq may shell out the extra bucks instead of settling. Others may not care, but I’d also agree that it’s smart from a business perspective to differentiate the individual series from one another. Personally I’d rather have the increased versatility, even in a hybrid setup, but that’s very subjective.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

3-band eq imo is a severe limitation: stopped me from buying api or cadac (and went with mci and studer)...
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, a cost saving measure it certainly is. It’s also tactical in the sense that it enhances the viability of the 78. Someone looking for a Trident console with the ‘legendary’ eq may shell out the extra bucks instead of settling. Others may not care, but I’d also agree that it’s smart from a business perspective to differentiate the individual series from one another. Personally I’d rather have the increased versatility, even in a hybrid setup, but that’s very subjective.
If you wnat a classic 80B type thing, you'd have to go for the 78 or 88. But if your thinking of these as tracking EQs, and then, if more is needed in the mix doing it in the box, this one might be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
3-band eq imo is a severe limitation: stopped me from buying api or cadac (and went with mci and studer)...
Horses for courses and all that. I prefer having 2 mid bands for a lot of things.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Horses for courses and all that. I prefer having 2 mid bands for a lot of things.
not really - it's just that: a limitation...

(glad to have 4-band eq plus a notch and both hi and low pass filters on my current desk)
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

I don't follow trident much but did spend 20 minutes or so in the namm booth, looking at the 68, 78, and 88. There were 3 of them with 16 or so channels and a big 88 with Vu. I think that one was a 32 or 40 channel. I grabbed a few brochures as those are kinda nice like mci used to do.

The trident guy and I were lifting up the 78 and 88 to feel how heavy those are. 180 pounds or something.

Pretty easy to yank those sections out. Not sure how all those multi-connections factor over time.

Trident is doing fader automation in a few months. The guy said Fader panels lift out, are exchanged, some sort of additional d-sub will be at the back-left blank panel, and automation will require a second power supply.

I like the trident knob colors sorta, yet after I stood there for a while, I started thinking that they're not easy to differentiate from each other. You'd just sorta have to get used to what was where. I dunno, maybe it's that everything is slightly more compacted than I'm used to on consoles.

The Trident guy was very nice, informative etc. Didn't catch his name badge though.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I don't follow trident much but did spend 20 minutes or so in the namm booth, looking at the 68, 78, and 88. There were 3 of them with 16 or so channels and a big 88 with Vu. I think that one was a 32 or 40 channel. I grabbed a few brochures as those are kinda nice like mci used to do.

The trident guy and I were lifting up the 78 and 88 to feel how heavy those are. 180 pounds or something.

Pretty easy to yank those sections out. Not sure how all those multi-connections factor over time.

Trident is doing fader automation in a few months. The guy said Fader panels lift out, are exchanged, some sort of additional d-sub will be at the back-left blank panel, and automation will require a second power supply.

I like the trident knob colors sorta, yet after I stood there for a while, I started thinking that they're not easy to differentiate from each other. You'd just sorta have to get used to what was where. I dunno, maybe it's that everything is slightly more compacted than I'm used to on consoles.

The Trident guy was very nice, informative etc. Didn't catch his name badge though.
Did you notice if the power supplies had fans or not?
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Went on there website a few hours ago to get a bit more info.

The 68 is around 12k but doesnt have a headphone output.

Cheers
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you notice if the power supplies had fans or not?
The two smaller consoles didn't have their power supplies connected or anywhere in sight. Probably because they were aimed so that you could get to all four sides to inspect without tripping over anything.

The big 88 was connected and powered up, but I didn't think to get down on the floor underneath to look at the psu.
Old 29th January 2019
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Went on there website a few hours ago to get a bit more info.

The 68 is around 12k but doesnt have a headphone output.

Cheers
looks like it does uless i have misssed something?
the drawing shows one and the Master Module Flow Diagram shows one?
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

The trident website shows the 68 page and comparisons to the other models.
It shows that it doesnt have a headphone output.

Trident 68 Console – Trident Audio Developments

Cheers
Old 29th January 2019
If EQ flexibility is important to you, the Trident EQ plug in that UAD (good) and Softube (included saturation) slightly better are pretty close to the hardware EQ. There is also this one which sounds amazing too. Arturia TridA-Pre Software Preamp Plug In | Sweetwater
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
If EQ flexibility is important to you, the Trident EQ plug in that UAD (good) and Softube (included saturation) slightly better are pretty close to the hardware EQ. There is also this one which sounds amazing too. Arturia TridA-Pre Software Preamp Plug In | Sweetwater
Plug-ins don't come close to a analog desk.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers

It does. It's on the master module. Second red knob from the bottom
Attached Thumbnails
Trident Series 68 Console-skarmavbild-2019-01-29-kl.-13.11.05.jpg  
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers
The Trident Series 68 has three headphone outputs. One in the master section on an 1/8" jack, and two under the armrest. One on 1/4" and another on 1/8" jack...
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

Can't wait to hear one!
Old 6th February 2019
Here for the gear

I'm fascinated by this board. I have a Toft ATB 16 channel that I have a love/hate relationship with. The pots are scratchy as hell, the crosstalk is brutal but the EQ's are extremely musical. I was thinking of throwing down the plastic and upgrading to the API 1608 II but now thinking the new API Box 2, coupled with an additional 3124, would give me all that I need.

The Trident 68 might sway me if the Pre's are musical and the now 3 band EQ is more versatile than I'm imagining them to be. Hope reviews start popping up soon. No way in Hell I'd buy this board in 1st 6 months of production. The early Tofts were full of build issues and I'd hope that Trident learned their lesson there.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flik Pat View Post
I'm fascinated by this board. I have a Toft ATB 16 channel that I have a love/hate relationship with. The pots are scratchy as hell, the crosstalk is brutal but the EQ's are extremely musical. I was thinking of throwing down the plastic and upgrading to the API 1608 II but now thinking the new API Box 2, coupled with an additional 3124, would give me all that I need.

The Trident 68 might sway me if the Pre's are musical and the now 3 band EQ is more versatile than I'm imagining them to be. Hope reviews start popping up soon. No way in Hell I'd buy this board in 1st 6 months of production. The early Tofts were full of build issues and I'd hope that Trident learned their lesson there.
Keep in mind that Toft and Trident are completely different beasts.....Malcom Toft being the common denominator, but other than that, completely different price points and goals. The build quality of the Trident is several leagues above the Toft.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

HI guys - I was lucky enough to try a 68 console at Funky Junk in London. It was a pre-production desk, but looks like only cosmetic changes between that and the NAMM board. Initial impressions were very favorable. Flexible routing for my PT/outboard hybrid setup, all balanced connections and DB-25 connections for direct hookup to DB-25 patch bay and audio interface. I come from a Toft ATB24 and shared your concerns about the 3-band EQ, but in practice I didn't find it an issue. Surgical cuts I tend to do ITB anyway, so this encourages you to think more in terms of overall sound shaping. The bass EQ in particular was great at adding weight without muddying the mids, so a good choice of crossover frequencies, and the top end giving some nice air. There is also a narrow/broad Q option on the center band if you do need that focus, and a low cut filter. What about the made in China issue? Well, iPhones are made in China and speaking to Alan at Trident I'm sure the manufacturing partner will be well monitored for QC - they're obviously super-sensitive to potential issues. Looking forward to being one of the first studios in the UK to give this a try
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Could you explain what you mean by "good choice of crossover frequencies". The text on the Trident website says the low and high frequencies are selectable, but the picture shows sweeping shelving EQs. From your comment I assume the text is right and the picture is wrong?

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Disregard. Alan answered the EQ question in another thread - sweepable.
Old 3 weeks ago
The 3 band EQ is no limitation when you know what you're doing.

IMHO, what's more of a limitation is the lack of bell (or peak) mode of the highs and lows bands, which are only shelving. Adding a switch for each band would have been a huge + for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
The 3 band EQ is no limitation when you know what you're doing.

IMHO, what's more of a limitation is the lack of bell (or peak) mode of the highs and lows bands, which are only shelving. Adding a switch for each band would have been a huge + for me.
It would add money for sure...While the Trident 68 may not meet everybody's wish list, it hits a lot of points....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search