The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphone coiled cables.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Microphone coiled cables.

Hi, I am a fan of guitar coily cables and always thought it would be cool to use a coiled cable to connect a microphone. I make my own cables with neutrik connectors and they work really well but some months ago I found these mic coiled cables made by Bullet Cable and ordered two of them, in black of course. I think they don’t make mic cables anymore so they are hard to find. I own a 30’ instrument coiled cable from Bullet Cable and absolutely love it, it is heavy but sounds really good, they have the looks as a nice plus, I ordered a 15’ instrument one too, for practicing and plugging in smaller places. So, returning to the mic coiled cables, I wonder why almost anybody has used or made them, would they be a problem for a mic stand? Or maybe if plugged into one of those small desktop interface, they will overweight it and cause it to fall, any thoughts? Images attached
Attached Thumbnails
Microphone coiled cables.-40cc8bb4-5d86-42be-b605-899b4a1fde7c.jpeg   Microphone coiled cables.-f38e763a-3715-4aee-bd52-8785f074dd40.jpeg   Microphone coiled cables.-c050bf51-e69c-4295-a16a-8f145f92c43c.jpeg   Microphone coiled cables.-bc7cdccc-003f-42cd-babd-649298736821.jpeg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Coiled mic cables would be a PITA in most live or studio situations. They tend to not lay flat when plugged into mics on stands, so in a multi mic situation you would constantly be tripping over cables that are arcing up to mic stands or handhelds. Or you would be trying to remember to dodge and step over them. Also, as you might learn from coiled headphone cables, as they age they tend to develop kinks that mess up the retraction of the coil, so you don’t get much life out of them.
That’s my thinking about coiled cables.
I did see Do Ho use one on his keyboard vocal mic in a club in Waikiki, a few years before he passed away in 2007. That’s the only time I remember seeing a coiled mic cable on a professional stage. I’ve never seen one in a studio.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

You are right, coiled cables develop weird kinks over time, bullet ones don’t get kinks so easily because of the oversized coils and jacket material but can’t speak for the mic ones because they hadn’t arrive yet. It’s true they can be a PITA but they look really cool for me and keep the excessive length off your way. The only coiled mic ones I heard about in the past, were used for shotgun mics, mounted on fishing poles and branded as k-tek. I think they are widely used in the cinematography industry
Old 4 weeks ago
The look isn't worth the loss in reliability to be honest.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What do you mean with reliability? Those are no cheaply made, looks like they use some quad cable and look sturdy. Have an instrument one, and it’s great, the only complaint I find is the weight
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
The look isn't worth the loss in reliability to be honest.
That’s true for some people. For others, the look is as important as anything else.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Imagine having a full compliment of drum mics to wire up with those. That sounds like my worst nightmare.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

For the life of me I never understood coiled cables. All the headphones I had as a kid had them, and they were terrible. Phones too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Imagine having a full compliment of drum mics to wire up with those. That sounds like my worst nightmare.
It would be funny to watch that mess
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
For the life of me I never understood coiled cables. All the headphones I had as a kid had them, and they were terrible. Phones too.
They’re meant for length variation, imagine a straight telephone chord
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you work in/own a professional studio with a large room, you would understand why this would be a nightmare. If you can't figure out why this would be an issue in your setup, more power to you. Go for it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Coiled cables are good for moving about, but I don’t think they’re particularily useful when something is stationary.

Agreed on the looks, though!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
That’s true for some people. For others, the look is as important as anything else.
Well.....I guess if you like buying cables more regularly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
Well.....I guess if you like buying cables more regularly.
Hey, careful about the “you”! I’m not a coiled cable lover.
(And when I put it that way, it also sounds perverse)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Unless you are a vocalist that carries a mic around, I don't see those being practical at all. back in the 60's/70's I used to use them on guitar but most of the ones sold were complete garbage. I was lucky enough to have one that was extra heavy duty which was half coiled and half straight. The coiling did help prevent you from tripping over the cable a bit but like anything, its what you get used too. Today with the pedals I the extra weight of the coiled cable, it would be a PITA.

Keeping them from getting kinks and keeping them clean in general are two things against coiled cables. For mics, unless you're a singer who moves around it makes no practical sense at all. All that extra coiled wire is going to do is add resistance and capacitance. As part of the wire weaving process the conductors are weaved with the nylon and much thinner then a good quality straight cable. Shielding is typically thin too which means increased hum.

If you're going to stick a mic on a stand all night the coiled cable has no practical use for look or functionality. If you're a lead singer and move around, a wireless mic or even a head worn wireless is by far much more practical way to go and has a much greater cool factor too. Bulky, heavy coiled cable wouldn't be my choice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like a recipe for disaster in many ways.

And... it's not even a retro look. I've never seen a coiled cable on a mic. Which is clearly their marketing intention, with the addition of that Shure 55 in the photo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Personally, I associate coiled cables on microphones with people like Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason. On the other hand, the Bell Telephone Company shipped literally millions of coiled cables -- entire telephones, even -- with a failure rate of virtually zero. I think OP should just try it and let us know how it works out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Personally, I associate coiled cables on microphones with people like Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason. On the other hand, the Bell Telephone Company shipped literally millions of coiled cables -- entire telephones, even -- with a failure rate of virtually zero. I think OP should just try it and let us know how it works out.
Yes, I will upload some samples of them compared to another cable I made. Bought them because they are rare and brand is good, maybe unpractical and dangerous but unique. Maybe they can be used on boom stands too, wrapped around the boom section and act as an added counterweight on it
Old 4 weeks ago
500 series nutjob

be responsible just say NO to coiled cables!

don't let friends use coiled cables!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search