The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA-800 (sony c800 clone) anybody used?
Old 20th January 2019
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Stam Audio SA-800 (sony c800 clone) anybody used?

Stam Audio

Surprised that I cannot find a single bit of info about this microphone on here! Has anybody tried this? I have always wanted a c800 ever since using one in the studio for the first time but the price tag is way too high for me to ever justify it. After doing some research about stam microphones they seem to be pretty well regarded here which is why im surprised nobody has ever mentioned this mic on gearslutz.

So if anybody out there has used one of these I would love to hear your thoughts!
Old 20th January 2019
  #2
It hasn't been released yet. I'm sure stam will put up videos for it. They always do.

I just went to their site and it states- first batch March 2019. Sometimes there are delays because of part availability or customs holding parts hostage. I have the SA47 and a pair of 87's and they are fantastic and worth the wait.
Old 21st January 2019
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
It hasn't been released yet. I'm sure stam will put up videos for it. They always do.

I just went to their site and it states- first batch March 2019. Sometimes there are delays because of part availability or customs holding parts hostage. I have the SA47 and a pair of 87's and they are fantastic and worth the wait.

Ahh no wonder, I must have missed that!
Old 2nd February 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

I’m on first Pre-order and I own 2 genuine c800g’s, as well as slate vms. So I’ll be doing some comparisons
Old 2nd February 2019
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
I’m on first Pre-order and I own 2 genuine c800g’s, as well as slate vms. So I’ll be doing some comparisons
Amazing!!! Can't wait to hear!
Old 2nd February 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Definitely hit me up. What’s your take on the C800g models in slate VMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
I’m on first Pre-order and I own 2 genuine c800g’s, as well as slate vms. So I’ll be doing some comparisons
Old 3rd February 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Definitely hit me up. What’s your take on the C800g models in slate VMS?
I haven’t got enough time with with it yet to make a decision. Also I don’t have the VMS preamp so I’d like to have that before I make any judgements.
Old 3rd February 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Cool thanks. I’ve been rolling with the VMS since it launched, I preordered it and got one from the first batch. The C800g works great on deeper and darker voices but can feel a little light on everyone else. I think that the new Blackbird 251 is the best all around model so far. Using that in conjunction with the new softube Cl-1b plugin from softube or El-Rey from Acustica sounds pretty damn good off the rip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
I haven’t got enough time with with it yet to make a decision. Also I don’t have the VMS preamp so I’d like to have that before I make any judgements.
Old 4th February 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Cool thanks. I’ve been rolling with the VMS since it launched, I preordered it and got one from the first batch. The C800g works great on deeper and darker voices but can feel a little light on everyone else. I think that the new Blackbird 251 is the best all around model so far. Using that in conjunction with the new softube Cl-1b plugin from softube or El-Rey from Acustica sounds pretty damn good off the rip.
See that's interesting because c800g's aren't "thin" or "light" yes they have lots of high end but the bottom end is huge on them. I always use a hpf on them especially since I compress on the way in and they can over compress from all the low end effecting the compressor. They are very "sensitive" microphones.
Old 25th February 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Well looks like the website has been updated to say April now instead of March. So I guess we will see. Also they announced Pre ordered for the v72 preamp
Old 26th February 2019
  #11
I'd be surprised if they can beat the AA CM800T.
Old 26th February 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I'd be surprised if they can beat the AA CM800T.
Why would you say that? They are using better parts from what I see.
Old 26th February 2019
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
Why would you say that? They are using better parts from what I see.
Why not. The AA sounds fantastic. I can see how on paper it looks better but if it ever arrives we can compare them. The AA is half the price of the Stam. If it doesn't say C800G then it's not a Sony. Full stop.
Old 26th February 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Why not. The AA sounds fantastic. I can see how on paper it looks better but if it ever arrives we can compare them. The AA is half the price of the Stam. If it doesn't say C800G then it's not a Sony. Full stop.
I have 2 c800g's so I'll definitely be comparing when I get mine. I was just curious what made you say it won't be any better, not trying to deny anything you were saying just wondered where you were coming from. Heiserman makes great capsules, so seemed like the logical choice. Have you heard the AA?
Old 26th February 2019
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
I have 2 c800g's so I'll definitely be comparing when I get mine. I was just curious what made you say it won't be any better, not trying to deny anything you were saying just wondered where you were coming from. Heiserman makes great capsules, so seemed like the logical choice. Have you heard the AA?
I have 2 C800G's , 2 Sony C100, 1 AA CM800T and 2 Chandler REDD microphones. The AA sounds just like the Sony 800G for a 10th of the price.
Old 26th February 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Paul, what's your take on the Sony 800G (and AA) regarding sibilant singers? (like me)

My limited understanding is that this kind of microphone, usually isn't a "first pull" for those singers.
Thanks, Chris

P.S. I've sang/tested a few of the Heiserman capsules (47 type), and they sounded first rate.
I bet the Stam must sound excellent too.
Old 26th February 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I have 2 C800G's , 2 Sony C100, 1 AA CM800T and 2 Chandler REDD microphones. The AA sounds just like the Sony 800G for a 10th of the price.
Also I’m getting my Stam for $990 so it’s not that far off from what the AA costs, seemed to me using the correct tube type and the Heiserman capsule was what sold me on the Stam. I was a little off put in the AA thread that it seemed that they hadn’t even gotten a C800G for comparison when they were designing the CM800t. But it’s good to know you feel they sound similar!
Old 26th February 2019
  #18
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
Also I’m getting my Stam for $990 so it’s not that far off from what the AA costs, seemed to me using the correct tube type and the Heiserman capsule was what sold me on the Stam. I was a little off put in the AA thread that it seemed that they hadn’t even gotten a C800G for comparison when they were designing the CM800t. But it’s good to know you feel they sound similar!
That's kinda BS. He said if I'm not mistaken, that he had access to one and a LOT of familiarity with the mic. He's a very honest guy and I'm sure did all the homework necessary. Someone who's highly thought of and willing to work with people to get a customized solution to what they want.......guys on that level know what they are looking for, he wasn't just guessing.....

BTW Paul doesn't just "feel" they sound similar he actually has both mics.....FWIW....

Good luck with the Stam tho, you're still buying something no one has actually heard.... I do hope it works out for you!......

I myself would love to try a Heiserman, such cool colors to boot!.....
Old 26th February 2019
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
Also I’m getting my Stam for $990 so it’s not that far off from what the AA costs, seemed to me using the correct tube type and the Heiserman capsule was what sold me on the Stam. I was a little off put in the AA thread that it seemed that they hadn’t even gotten a C800G for comparison when they were designing the CM800t. But it’s good to know you feel they sound similar!
"Feel"
Old 27th February 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
"Feel"
What's the issue you have with what I said? You seem to keep taking issue with my opinion. I'm not coming on here with no experience or not having these mics. I'm coming here with an open mind to talk about these things. It's ok bro...
Old 27th February 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
That's kinda BS. He said if I'm not mistaken, that he had access to one and a LOT of familiarity with the mic. He's a very honest guy and I'm sure did all the homework necessary. Someone who's highly thought of and willing to work with people to get a customized solution to what they want.......guys on that level know what they are looking for, he wasn't just guessing.....

BTW Paul doesn't just "feel" they sound similar he actually has both mics.....FWIW....

Good luck with the Stam tho, you're still buying something no one has actually heard.... I do hope it works out for you!......

I myself would love to try a Heiserman, such cool colors to boot!.....
Ok i'm not trying to be confrontational if you wanna take what I said as i'm doubting him. That's not it all, everyone's opinion is what they feel or think. I don't doubt what he thinks and i've not used the AA, I was stating what the reason was for me purchasing the Stam.
Old 27th February 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Just picked up a AA CM800T off ebay lightly used in mint cond for $610 delivered! Based off what Paul has said I think it will be a winner, I have a singer whos favorite Mic is the C800G. I can’t wait to try it out.
Old 27th February 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
Just picked up a AA CM800T off ebay lightly used in mint cond for $610 delivered! Based off what Paul has said I think it will be a winner, I have a singer whos favorite Mic is the C800G. I can’t wait to try it out.
If it's close like Paul said it's a great deal! People trash talk c800g but it's one of those mics that sounds good on vocalists more often then not. Especially for modern music but it can be made to work for a lot of genres. I loved it enough to grab 2nd one. I have one from the early 2000's and the other is brand new. Both awesome!
Old 27th February 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Dpro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
If it's close like Paul said it's a great deal! People trash talk c800g but it's one of those mics that sounds good on vocalists more often then not. Especially for modern music but it can be made to work for a lot of genres. I loved it enough to grab 2nd one. I have one from the early 2000's and the other is brand new. Both awesome!
Oh ya the whole C800G got on my radar awhile back. I have always just gone with what suits the particular singer out of what I have. Lusted the C800G just could not bring myslef to drop the change.

When Paul said what he did about the AA I was like ok I can trust him. He knows his way with these Mics quite well. I had heard the Sony C100 when it hit over at Vintage King and liked it but did realize it was not quite full C800G territory though a great Mic its also on my short list.

I mainly record Vocals, everything else is synth or sample based with some occasional guitars.
So my Mic collection is not large and slanted towards vocals which lead me to the AA.
Probsbly would have wound dropping for a used C800G otherwise.
Old 27th February 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Paul, what's your take on the Sony 800G (and AA) regarding sibilant singers? (like me)

My limited understanding is that this kind of microphone, usually isn't a "first pull" for those singers.
Thanks, Chris

P.S. I've sang/tested a few of the Heiserman capsules (47 type), and they sounded first rate.
I bet the Stam must sound excellent too.
Don't know anything about the so called "AA C800G" but the real Sony C-800G handles sibilance so smooth & balanced!
Old 27th February 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Thanks, I was wondering if I "misunderstood" this kind of microphone. Eventually, I'd like to try the Sony out at Vintage King LA-to get a reference.
Although realistically I doubt I'll ever break the $2,500 mark, on a vocal microphone.
Chris
Old 27th February 2019
  #27
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
"Feel"
Feel or think bro, even doing a proper shootout lots of people hear different things and have their opinions.

Daniel.
Old 27th February 2019
  #28
Lovebug Starski is dead. You can't take a dead man's name. That's just plain wrong.
Old 27th February 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 
STARSKI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Lovebug Starski is dead. You can't take a dead man's name. That's just plain wrong.
I can’t tell if you’re just egging me on at this point or just being funny. I said before I don’t have any problem with your opinion I was just staring mine. I was actually interested in your opinion and what brought you to a conclusion but then you come across with this attitude. You’re not the only one with good mics who has an opinion. Moving on now...
Old 27th February 2019
  #30
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKI View Post
Ok i'm not trying to be confrontational if you wanna take what I said as i'm doubting him. That's not it all, everyone's opinion is what they feel or think. I don't doubt what he thinks and i've not used the AA, I was stating what the reason was for me purchasing the Stam.
No that's not what I was objecting to. You said the guy from AA didn't have a Sony mic to base his emulation on. That's not true. He did have access to one, just doesn't own it.

I also wonder how many mic emulators own vintage mics. I suspect many have a very good working knowledge, and access for comparison. I wouldn't expect Stam, AA, Warm, or a lot of other emulators to have the gear in question that they are copying. Since Stam copies a ton of iconic gear including a Fairchild, I doubt very much Joshua owns all of it.....


I don't have any problem with you making whatever choice you want, and Paul's opinion is just that, an opinion. I just didn't think "feels" was an appropriate term, since he owns both, but no big deal. Good luck with your choice, it'll be interesting to hear reactions when Stam releases them.......
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump