The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Noise on Bass Guitar (PJ Pickup) while recording!
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Noise on Bass Guitar (PJ Pickup) while recording!

I was having a simple Bass Guitar recording today. No matter went thru DI Box or Direct line in to audio interface (Hi-Z), there was a consistently noise!

I did some test, recording on another USB Mixer, Used another DI Box, Cable in Balanced or Unbalanced, Ground Lift or Not, sprayed WD40 to those contacts ...Noise didn't go away!

Then, I tried to turn the volume knob and tone knob. When Straight/Single Coil knob turned all the way down, noise (doooooo...) disappeared! When I turn the tone knob all the way down, another type of noise disappeared (electric/dirty noise).

Hope to hear from you and your help are really appreciated!

Noise Test MP3 is attached!
Attached Files

NOISE test (bass guitar).mp3 (1.62 MB, 270 views)

Old 17th January 2019
Tone pot is incurring the noise? Interesting - RF likely. Interested to see what people say as a fox. Is this a new issue or always had it with this bass?
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
Tone pot is incurring the noise? Interesting - RF likely. Interested to see what people say as a fox. Is this a new issue or always had it with this bass?
Hi,
Tone Pot noise was the one right after Single Coil pickup turned down. Like dirty current noise.
The RF Like noise was the one incurred by single coil pickup!

Erm... Noise happens today. All the while serve me right!

I wish could solve this issue soon!

** I tried to plug in to my acoustic guitar onboard pre-amp, clean and clear. So, this seems not the cables, DI Box, audio interface issue!

Help Help
Old 18th January 2019
Here for the gear

Nobody else?
Old 18th January 2019
Is the bass near any type of equipment, including a wireless mouse or other bluetooth device? Lay the bass down flat just to see if it goes away. Also, for recording purposes, it may be better to run the tone controls flat (no boost or cut), and also keep the output volume pots at maximum. Then shape the tone in the DAW, if needed.
Old 18th January 2019
I have the Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ Bass (sea-foam green ) and when i get to close to ware my electrical chords are, i hear a faint noise. So i stay away from that area when playing my bass
Old 18th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
Is the bass near any type of equipment, including a wireless mouse or other bluetooth device? Lay the bass down flat just to see if it goes away. Also, for recording purposes, it may be better to run the tone controls flat (no boost or cut), and also keep the output volume pots at maximum. Then shape the tone in the DAW, if needed.
Hi,
* I did put my bass out of the room, but it still sound as the noise test sample mp3!

* Nope, I don't use any Bluetooth devices! But, of cause the room with Wi-Fi connection and smartphone. You suspect noise those things?

* Oh ya, laying down the Bass or in flat/sleep position it seemed better (less noise)! So, what does this means or where does it wrong?

* Thanks for the suggestion on recording Bass. In fact, I always tweaked the sound that I wish for that song before the recording, including the combination of split & single coil pickup, as well as the tone! So, this will cause the noise issue too?

Really hope to receive your reply soon!
Old 18th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
I have the Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ Bass (sea-foam green ) and when i get to close to ware my electrical chords are, i hear a faint noise. So i stay away from that area when playing my bass
Hi,
* what was Electrical Chords mean? Did you mean those extension cords?

* what's faint noise and how it sounds like? Or, did you mean Fan Noise?

Thanks dude!
Old 18th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactreouser View Post
Hi,
* I did put my bass out of the room, but it still sound as the noise test sample mp3!

* Nope, I don't use any Bluetooth devices! But, of cause the room with Wi-Fi connection and smartphone. You suspect noise those things?

* Oh ya, laying down the Bass or in flat/sleep position it seemed better (less noise)! So, what does this means or where does it wrong?
It definitely sounds like the bass pickups are picking up some RF from somewhere. Make sure your cell phone, if you have one, is not in your pocket or anywhere near the bass, for example. Same with any other electrical devices. Also, look carefually at all cabling going from your bass to the DI and/or preamp/interface. Are there any AC/DC transformers near them, or any other AC or DC lines in parallel or crossing these sensitive low-level cables? If so, move them away. Also, try switching out all cables one by one. Does the noise decrease? Also, move a wireless router outside/far away from the bass, if it's nearby. In addition, don't play really close to a laptop.

Quote:
* Thanks for the suggestion on recording Bass. In fact, I always tweaked the sound that I wish for that song before the recording, including the combination of split & single coil pickup, as well as the tone! So, this will cause the noise issue too?
Some bass controls are noiser than other brand/models/configurations. That is why I suggested running them flat. Depending on the self noise of the tone controls on the bass, it can often be more advantageous boosting highs, for example, AFTER the signal is amplified and is in the digital domain. The reason is because the bass tone controls are operating on a lower signal level where any stray RF is CLOSER in level to the actual bass signal, thereby accentuating the RF noise even more.

Nothing you can do about mixing different pickups except on the bass itself unless you modify it to have separate outputs/cables for each pickup. Sounds crazy but I plan to do this on one of my studio-only basses.
Old 18th January 2019
Quote:
what was Electrical Chords mean? Did you mean those extension cords?
Its all the same, electric is electric. any chord that electric travels in can caused it

Quote:
what's faint noise and how it sounds like? Or, did you mean Fan Noise?
a faint noise like an RF noise. Very faint, i move a foot and its gone. I stay away form my eclectic chords. single coil pickups have this in common, its normal, very normal
Old 21st January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Its all the same, electric is electric. any chord that electric travels in can caused it

a faint noise like an RF noise. Very faint, i move a foot and its gone. I stay away form my eclectic chords. single coil pickups have this in common, its normal, very normal
Oh... But mine doesn't sound like FR Noise, wasn't it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search