The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tuning issue Electric Guitar
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Tuning issue

Stupid question:

Was doing a setup on my Gibson sg, was checking for intonation and everything was adjusted accordingly. When i went to play my guitar, with it sitting on the top of my lap all the strings were out of tune. Is there something I should be worried about? I originally tuned it with my guitar resting on a holder parallel to the ground. I don’t know if it’s just gravity but I don’t know why it go out of time that much. I originally changed strings, adjusted the truss rod a tad, adjusted the
Action and the tailpiece as well just a hair. Then started to do the intonation.
If there’s any advice I’d appreciate it.
Old 1 week ago
Have you stretched the strings ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You have to tune holding the guitar like you’re playing it or it will be out of tune.
Even leaning back a little can be off from sitting completely upright.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Even if I’m tuning to check for intotnation, I’ve seen all kinds of videos where guys are checking it in front them flat with the neck being held via a holder
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yes I’ve stretched them quite a bit
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
...When i went to play my guitar, with it sitting on the top of my lap all the strings were out of tune.
I'd ask, 'a little, or a lot..?

Also, if all that setup was done (and laying out supported at the headstock perhaps?) you'd want to play it some along the way to see how it's actually settling in?
I don't even consider my guitar 'tuned and stable until it's also up to temp on my body and in my hands.

Last, I haven't run one, but I gather with the SG's neck it might be rather one of the more difficult and susceptible to all these variations.
Old 1 week ago
If the strings are not moving smoothly thru the nut, you might be getting tension gathering behind the nut, making the guitar go out of tune when you bend strings, or as the temperature changes.
if you have any powdered graphite, you might try just a tiny amount in the nut slots.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Basically I plugged in my guitar to my amp. Everything sounds okay but bending past the 12th fret is crazy difficult. And my calluses are up to par. I’m not sure how I added all this unwanted tension. It’s sort of like everything is stiff instead of smooth and loose.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search